Ford Ditches Microsoft for QNX - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #31
'14Five-Speed
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 137473
What I Drive: 2014 Sterling Gray SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 '14Five-Speed Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
FWIW this short article on C-Net seems to indicate that QNX is not a done deal. Personaly, I like Sync just the way it is.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-32969_3-57...ecessarily-in/

One of the reasons I bought the Focus is that I have been happy with Sync in my F250.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #32
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
The information I got was from Auto News. They are the #1 industry rag for the auto industry.

I do love MFT. I would like my Focus way less if it did not have it.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #33
blank102
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96549
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 blank102 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I'm guessing they mean the basic Sync with MyFord system that was available on the 2012 Focus SE.
Yes.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #34
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

Fan#: 81361
What I Drive: A ONE COLOR FOCUS, Ducatis

FF Reputation: 4 matmatician Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmatton View Post
I don't think moving away from windows is the issue.. there are many other manufactures that use windows (i.e. Hyundai) but its when you start running a flash based interface its all going to head down hill.
As someone who works in IT and deals with flash-related programs on at least a weekly basis, YES. Flash sucks. There's a reason the world is moving to HTML5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domnatr6 View Post
So pick a company that has proven they have lost touch with what the market demands and as a result has lost monumental market share?
/facepalm
I wouldnt say they've lost touch. Change is slow to come to a huge company such as blackberry. The z10 is a great and modern looking device, and it will be interesting to see how things play out with it.

http://bit.ly/MJQMoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by blank102 View Post
I for one absolutely hate MySync. I'll try anything else as long as they dump Microsoft. That company makes nothing but crap.
Broad, sweeping statements are always correct, right? Have you tried a Windows Phone handset recently? I was a hardcore android fanboy til I got my Lumia 928. Haven't looked back since. Windows 7 was fantastic. Win8 is an awesome interface for tablets. It's got some growing to do still for desktops, but all OS'es are constantly improving. Even Macintosh and QNX.
ROTM June '13, PNW Crew #42, SR #245, Rally Rev #02
Old 03-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #35
AdamAndrew
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93417
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 AdamAndrew Good Standing Member
Apple's new CarPlay functionality is going to work hand-in-hand with QNX tech so it's a welcome change for Ford's systems! It would be perfect if my 2012 Focus could be outfitted with that tech.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:13 PM   #36
MineTwine45
Focus Addict

Fan#: 138537
What I Drive: 2003 Silver Frost ZX5

FF Reputation: 2 MineTwine45 Good Standing Member
It'll be interesting how the next MyFordTouch will work out, and if older systems (that are currently running it) can get the new QNX. My mom has a 2013 Escape with MyFordTouch, so I guess all we can do is wait.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:13 PM   #37
rebelx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 120081
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Focus SE w/Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 rebelx Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAndrew View Post
Apple's new CarPlay functionality is going to work hand-in-hand with QNX tech so it's a welcome change for Ford's systems! It would be perfect if my 2012 Focus could be outfitted with that tech.
Meh. I'd rather not have Apple systems in my car.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #38
ecemajor
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108593
What I Drive: 2005 Project Car

FF Reputation: 1 ecemajor Good Standing Member
Sorry for being a little late to this thread...

Not all of Sync was made by msft. Ford went off and tried to skimp by hiring BSquared when it invested in MyTouch. The quality disaster is largely because Ford tried to apply rules of mechanical components to software, and thought it was smart to take what Microsoft had built and let an outside vendor extend it. Microsoft's engineering is far too sloppy to hand over to another company. Since then, Ford went back to Microsoft and the most recent Sync updates come from msft again. They are more stable - but the overall product quality is still poor.

Apple with CarPlay is so far a pretty constrained ecosystem, and performance is not great.

The one to watch is Google. They will get your car connected one way or another to get some ads in there and steal your privacy in exchange for undoubtedly very cool stuff.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #39
ecemajor
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108593
What I Drive: 2005 Project Car

FF Reputation: 1 ecemajor Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
Do you even know anything about QNX, and it's implementations? Or are you basing your opinions off their phones?

It's be around for a long while, and is currently in use by quite a few auto manufacturers for various uses from vehicle usage (OnStar is based on QNX for example) to traffic control to power plant controls. It's been around the block a few times...it's not a new idea and it's been used successfully a LOT.

In fact, I just read an article about QNX being used on a space shuttle mission, for a laser control.
This is confusing some things here. QNX is an embedded operating system - a posix variant - and isn't terribly sophisticated, therefore it is nicely stable. Then additional products are built on top, such as QNX Car2, which provides automotive-centric capabilities to outside head unit vendors. And then they deliver their own end to end solution.

Just because OnStar is built on QNX, we cannot say that the next Ford product based on QNX will be better than Sync.

Microsoft's plans to abandon CE and drive everything from "one" Windows codebase is a major reason people will abandon Microsoft, including Ford. But that was a Steve Ballmer thing and might be changing.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #40
rebelx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 120081
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Focus SE w/Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 rebelx Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemajor View Post
The one to watch is Google. They will get your car connected one way or another to get some ads in there and steal your privacy in exchange for undoubtedly very cool stuff.
If you think it's only Google that is going to "steal your privacy," you're in for a bad time.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->