Ford Ditches Microsoft for QNX - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #11
domnatr6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96195
What I Drive: 2010 Grey SEL

FF Reputation: 5 domnatr6 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
Plain and simple they made their decision for a reason, blackberry offered the best products for their and the customers needs.
So pick a company that has proven they have lost touch with what the market demands and as a result has lost monumental market share?

/facepalm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #12
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 9 Joeywhat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by domnatr6 View Post
So pick a company that has proven they have lost touch with what the market demands and as a result has lost monumental market share?

/facepalm
Do you even know anything about QNX, and it's implementations? Or are you basing your opinions off their phones?

It's be around for a long while, and is currently in use by quite a few auto manufacturers for various uses from vehicle usage (OnStar is based on QNX for example) to traffic control to power plant controls. It's been around the block a few times...it's not a new idea and it's been used successfully a LOT.

In fact, I just read an article about QNX being used on a space shuttle mission, for a laser control.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 02-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #13
fauxfofo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 138457
What I Drive: 2010 silver coupe mt

FF Reputation: 1 fauxfofo Good Standing Member
Pretty sure qnx is a relatively (last 5 years) purchase by research in motion anyway, so despite being qnx more behind the scenes in the past, any issues rim had with being behind the ball don't really relate to qnx. And, rim/bb products are STILL being used at and just below the enterprise level. Their ecosystem was too specialized and byod hit them where it hurt, but from an IT perspective, they were doing things right...ish.

That said I'd throw away a bb if someone gave it to me I'm all about the openness, illusory or otherwise, android and f/oss provides.

Qnx used to be open but that was several generations ago. I wish i knew how to get into developing for it, much easier with android/Linux.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #14
domnatr6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
Do you even know anything about QNX, and it's implementations? Or are you basing your opinions off their phones?

It's be around for a long while, and is currently in use by quite a few auto manufacturers for various uses from vehicle usage (OnStar is based on QNX for example) to traffic control to power plant controls. It's been around the block a few times...it's not a new idea and it's been used successfully a LOT.

In fact, I just read an article about QNX being used on a space shuttle mission, for a laser control.
Actually, yes I do. I've worked with it in a mild sense several years ago. My comments were based off partnering with Blackberry, not based off of the OS.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #15
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114099
What I Drive: 2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus

FF Reputation: 1 Vanquished Good Standing Member
Well this certainly makes it easier for me to not buy a Ford the next time round. The Microsoft Sync system was one of the biggest reasons why I didn't want to leave Ford. Now... What else do I have to stay? The Focus is great. But my next car won't be a Focus as I want a bigger car again. Everything else Ford makes is so boring now. The SHO is way overpriced and the fusion is nothing special (and has uncomfortable seats)... As long as I only own it while under warranty I now have no reasons to buy a Ford over say... a Charger RT... To be honest, I've had to bring my Focus in to the dealer for several reasons either because the dealer didn't prep it right or it was just broken, I'm not really that worried about Dodge quality issues now, but I did not want to leave the Microsoft sync system for whatever Dodge uses...
Old 02-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #16
domnatr6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanquished View Post
I'm not really that worried about Dodge quality issues now, but I did not want to leave the Microsoft sync system for whatever Dodge uses...
Incidentally, I believe the Dodge UConnect system is based off of QNX
Old 02-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #17
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by domnatr6 View Post
Incidentally, I believe the Dodge UConnect system is based off of QNX
lol. Maybe they're doing the 'ol switcharoo.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...connect-range/

All I know is that the My Ford Touch system in my Focus is hands down the best infotainment system I've ever used. of the many, many, many I've used...

If you don't like voice-activated choices I could see why you may not like it but...
Old 02-24-2014, 11:25 PM   #18
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Seeing the comment in the article referenced that 39% pick a car with the primary consideration being electronics, and only 14% have a primary concern with mechanical operation emphasizes a big change in the market.

How are all these rolling phones/entertainment centers going to function a few years down the road?

A bud's last BMW 740i with a built in "brick" type phone - now that was useful!

A "din" type standard that would interface with standard built in control types might be useful, so a new system could be plugged in when the current one is outdated.

Without something like that all the electronics are likely to be out of date & unsupported after a few years, useless to anyone.

S.R. #275

There & Back Again...
Old 02-25-2014, 04:52 AM   #19
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
MFT was commissioned by Ford. MFT is still going to be MFT, but now what makes it run is going to be backed up by another company. What Ford is probably miffed about is all the drama. MS probably wasn't giving them the service and the updates that they required in the time period that they required to keep customers happy. I bet this has more to do with companies working together than with MFT itself. I bet that MFT will still be MFT- either that or those of us with these MFT cars should sell them like a 486 in 1999. I don't think Ford would appreciate that sort of bad press.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:05 AM   #20
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
I bet that MFT will still be MFT- either that or those of us with these MFT cars should sell them like a 486 in 1999. I don't think Ford would appreciate that sort of bad press.
Even so,
I use Windows Phone, and will do so unless they go bust. It's good to have a system that works for great voice texting and calling. The baseline I keep using is my mother's new Acura system, which is terrible. In that car you actually have to add contacts into the car's phonebook to make a voice call. You can't just say an address to go to you need to spell it out letter by letter... Though I will say voice texting does still work on it.

I've pretty much made up my mind about my next car not being a Ford just very little other than the Focus that Ford makes interests me, except maybe a Mustang but those are also everywhere...

Bookmarks & Social Networks