SVTF 4 door - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-23-2014, 11:41 PM   #1
Chriax
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 113539
What I Drive: POS Mitsubishi Galant :(

Points 402, Level 8
Points: 402, Level: 8 Points: 402, Level: 8 Points: 402, Level: 8
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Chriax Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SVTF 4 door

Hey all,

An 03 Infrared SVTF 4 door just went up for sale near me. ODO reads 143K on it however. I've got the cash (they're asking 4 gs), and I'm ready to spring.
Here are the only pics they've got so far:

http://puu.sh/78sBD.jpg
http://puu.sh/78sCm.jpg
http://puu.sh/78sCW.jpg
http://puu.sh/78sDl.jpg

It's got the audiophile, weather package, and sunroof (everything I've wanted). Plus, some mods have been done to it (magna flow, ebach springs, and a stage 2 clutch).

What should I be wary of going into this? 4K seems awfully cheap, it smells like someone could be trying to dump this. This is my only shot to finally get my hands on one of these cars, and given it's extreme rarity, I'm willing to go for it. I wish it was black or yellow, but I suppose red isn't so bad either :P. Any advice from the pros here on FF?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 11:48 PM   #2
Bertozx3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102799
What I Drive: red 01" zx3, tuxedo black st. 13"

FF Reputation: 1 Bertozx3 Good Standing Member
Daammnn.. it's nice! I would how ever be devil's advocate and say 28 hundred unless you know the seller and have seen them baby that car with all these mods.. my two cents.. but it should not cost more than 35 hundred.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:57 PM   #3
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

Points 4,028, Level 40
Points: 4,028, Level: 40 Points: 4,028, Level: 40 Points: 4,028, Level: 40
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Thing has probably been raped, but looks nice.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:35 AM   #4
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

Points 12,544, Level 73
Points: 12,544, Level: 73 Points: 12,544, Level: 73 Points: 12,544, Level: 73
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 31%
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%
FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "Ford Focus & General Car Chat". I would definitely recommend getting a lot more pictures or go see it in person. If you get the chance to see the car, take it to a trusted mechanic. If it's out of your area and don't know any trusted mechanics, you can always Google one and read their reviews on Yelp or similar site. As for the price? You can always negotiate that down to what you think should be fair. At that high of mileage and unknown history of the maintenance, I wouldn't give more than $3,000 for it.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:53 AM   #5
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 18,065, Level 85
Points: 18,065, Level: 85 Points: 18,065, Level: 85 Points: 18,065, Level: 85
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Gotta love the touchup paint in the last pic ...
Old 02-24-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
Chriax
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 113539
What I Drive: POS Mitsubishi Galant :(

Points 402, Level 8
Points: 402, Level: 8 Points: 402, Level: 8 Points: 402, Level: 8
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Chriax Good Standing Member
I'm planning to go see this in person (hopefully today if the guy gets back to me). I'm def taking it to get a compression test, just to ensure valves and the head gasket are alright. I'll also be checking the oil/exhaust/radiator to make sure no leaks are going on at all, for sanity, as well as questioning both him and his mechanic on a t-belt and water pump change...Not really sure what else to check out. I'm by no means a mechanical pro, so if there is some subtle thing I should get checked, I'd appreciate any and all pointers. I've heard a lot of you foci owners, even SVTF owners have gotten 200K + out of these beautiful machines, with a lot of them still going without major mechanical issues/oil leaks, which I'm praying this one has none. I've heard some people had t-belt failures from lower oil leaks, although again, I can't be sure of that, given my tacky mechanical abilities.

I feel like a guy added a stage 2 clutch to a car like this might have been trying to redline it a lot, which kind of worries me...
Old 02-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
Gav-O-SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113561
What I Drive: '02 Infra-Red SVT

Points 1,974, Level 26
Points: 1,974, Level: 26 Points: 1,974, Level: 26 Points: 1,974, Level: 26
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 6 Gav-O-SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
One of the main things is that timing belt... Try to make them show proof of when it was last replaced, reciept, invoice, ect... If that timing belt snaps then the whole engine is toast... Should be replaced at least every 60,000 mi if not sooner. Check for leaks around the thermostat housing, check the oil and see if there is any sign of coolant/water. Like you stated, have them inform you of all repairs and maintainance so you know what your getting into. Good luck with the purchase, and BTW $4000 is a average price for a private party selling a SVTF. You are lucky its red, thats the best color SVTF IMO...
Old 02-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
apagios
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40891
What I Drive: '03 ZX5 SVT, '05 Mazdaspeed Miata

Points 867, Level 15
Points: 867, Level: 15 Points: 867, Level: 15 Points: 867, Level: 15
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 apagios Good Standing Member
ask what Stage 2 clutch the previous owner has got in there.

I'm on my 3rd Spec Stage 2 Clutch with 12 lbs AL flywheel, I can only seem to get 60-70k miles on a clutch, normal driving & commute, no track days or drag launching. Some towing of bikes, but with a gross trailer weight of ~650 lbs I don't see the towing impacting the clutch too much as I don't slip it a lot since the trailer & bike is pretty light.

In retrospect I wish I had asked Spec about ordering the stage 1 organic with a high clamp force spring. I think that would have given me some of the snappy engagement feel of the Stage 2 while lasting much longer than Kevlar...

if the timing belt hasn't been done yet I would say thats #1 job, like drop it off at the shop on the way home type of thing. Also replace water pump, pulleys/tensioners since the parts are cheap if your doing a timing belt anyway.

Mine is at 187k miles and counting, I'd love a new Fiesta ST but can't argue with a fun car that's paid off and still runs great!

Also that filter isn't doing much for you, the stock intake works fine a K&N panel filter is generally the best bet as the stock intake pulls cold air from the front. If the previous owner still has it and it were me, I'd put the stock intake back on.

Good Luck with the purchase!
Old 02-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
co1458
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106720
What I Drive: 2003,silver,SVT focus

Points 10, Level 1
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 co1458 Good Standing Member
but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav-O-SVT View Post
One of the main things is that timing belt... Try to make them show proof of when it was last replaced, reciept, invoice, ect... If that timing belt snaps then the whole engine is toast... Should be replaced at least every 60,000 mi if not sooner. Check for leaks around the thermostat housing, check the oil and see if there is any sign of coolant/water. Like you stated, have them inform you of all repairs and maintainance so you know what your getting into. Good luck with the purchase, and BTW $4000 is a average price for a private party selling a SVTF. You are lucky its red, thats the best color SVTF IMO...
The ford maintenance guide says the timing belt going bad will have no effect on the car as far as damage. recommends replacing at 125k I remember reading that a while back.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
Gav-O-SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113561
What I Drive: '02 Infra-Red SVT

Points 1,974, Level 26
Points: 1,974, Level: 26 Points: 1,974, Level: 26 Points: 1,974, Level: 26
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 6 Gav-O-SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
^ Yea, it wont on a regular focus... On a svt which has vct, when the timing belt breaks it causes serious engine damage... Look it up.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.