Bike Rack - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
BlueIce
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93794
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 BlueIce Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Bike Rack

I'm looking into some bike racks for the Focus. Anyone know of any good ones?

I think I'm trying to stay away from roof racks and hitches.

www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293992
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
ElectricAL
Focus Addict

Fan#: 71376
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST

FF Reputation: 2 ElectricAL Good Standing Member
Almost 20 years ago I bought a Saris "Bones" rack to stick onto the back of the car I had then. It's still going strong. I gave it my buddy (since I nowadays throw my bike in the back of my Pathfinder and call it "good") and now he uses it on the back of his CR-V.

They still make them, virtually unchanged in design (other than softer rubber inserts to cradle the bike frame vs. some kind of hard plastic). Super-flexible adjustable design. Goes over rear spoilers better than most anything else (not that you need that, but it's nice to have). Only downside with that style of rack in general is that you will likely lose access to your trunk unless if you un-do a couple of straps.

Just beware, bike frames have changed from the simple double-diamond design to some really tweaked full-suspension designs. Just make sure that if you have a FS bike that you try your bike on any trunk-type rack before you buy it. One of my FS bikes will not go on to just any (trunk style) rack. The other one will go... but only with a little finagling.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
rexazz2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 121761
What I Drive: 2014 HB SE

FF Reputation: 1 rexazz2 Good Standing Member
Myself I wouldn't go with any less than a hitch mount or then after that a roof rack mount
I learnt the first time out with the trunk and bumper mount, it let the bikes scratch the paint on the back bumper of my old car
I use a pile of bungee cords and an aircraft cable threw the hitch with a lock to help make sure my bikes stay with my car when I am not

The roof rack style is probably the most versatile since the other styles usually carry the bikes on their cross tubes
So many bikes don't have a level cross tubes so that becomes an issue
Old 02-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
BlueIce
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexazz2 View Post
Myself I wouldn't go with any less than a hitch mount or then after that a roof rack mount
I learnt the first time out with the trunk and bumper mount, it let the bikes scratch the paint on the back bumper of my old car
I use a pile of bungee cords and an aircraft cable threw the hitch with a lock to help make sure my bikes stay with my car when I am not

The roof rack style is probably the most versatile since the other styles usually carry the bikes on their cross tubes
So many bikes don't have a level cross tubes so that becomes an issue
Hmmm, this seems like it may be more complicated than I thought. I don't mind losing the trunk. The roof racks I've heard they hurt the aerodynamics, sometimes they'll whistle, and still will scratch the roof. The hitch I was trying to stay away from because I basically don't want it on the car. Not a fan of the way it looks, and they're never really "hidden".

I never did think about the cross tubes though. 2 of the bikes I'd be carrying are girls bikes, usually dont have the level tubes.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #5
ElectricAL
Focus Addict

Fan#: 71376
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST

FF Reputation: 2 ElectricAL Good Standing Member
I've put my wife's bike onto the trunk rack before. And hers is a size small Specialized step-over design women's frame. It looks a little wonky, but by removing the front tire it worked with hers. Bring any bikes you intend to carry with it into your local bike shop to try 'em out first. That's the best advice I can give. 2nd best advice, if they help you out, buy from them. Don't "showroom" your local bike shop LOL
Old 02-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #6
BlueIce
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricAL View Post
I've put my wife's bike onto the trunk rack before. And hers is a size small Specialized step-over design women's frame. It looks a little wonky, but by removing the front tire it worked with hers. Bring any bikes you intend to carry with it into your local bike shop to try 'em out first. That's the best advice I can give. 2nd best advice, if they help you out, buy from them. Don't "showroom" your local bike shop LOL
Im really diggin the one style I saw (believe by Saris) where the bikes are vertical on the hatch! Looks pretty sick. Unfortunately, it's a bit pricey at almost $400.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 117411
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Ford Focus S MT

FF Reputation: 6 CunFFS13 Good Standing Member
Can this help?:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311416
Old 02-23-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
BlueIce
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunFFS13 View Post
No. As I said in the OP, Im trying to stay away from roof racks.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:39 PM   #9
BlueIce
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricAL View Post
Oh, was there any scratches or dings or anything on the hatch?

I don't really have any local bike shops around me that I know of. All are pretty far away, so I'm probably going to do it all myself. There is one that I know of, but they're pretty big uppity hippy DBags. Long story, basically they laughed at someone I knew who didn't have that much money but was looking for a good bike. They laughed and told him to go to Wal-Mart where "people like him belong".

Old 02-24-2014, 01:43 AM   #10
fakeplastic3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115142
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Grey Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 fakeplastic3 Good Standing Member
My 2 cents on your rack decision (that is a size extra large 29er, nearly the size of the car): http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...0&postcount=31

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->