Possibly Dumb Question About Head Unit - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85112
What I Drive: 2010 Ingot Silver Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 lacole725 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Possibly Dumb Question About Head Unit

I don't have much audio knowledge, the only time I have done any work was replacing broken speakers in my first truck and it was a very old truck. This may sound dumb, but I just don't know: do I need to install an aftermarket head unit in order to hear a noticeable difference out of aftermarket speakers? I'd like to keep the factory head unit in my '10 SE sedan and only replace the speakers. Will I even notice a difference if I do this? I don't have SNYC, nor do I have a subwoofer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 11:35 PM   #2
Gadabout
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114774
What I Drive: 2006 Vermillion Red ZX4 SE

FF Reputation: 4 Gadabout Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yes, but kinda no.

Typically aftermarket headunits will provide more power to the speakers than an OEM will. (I dont have numbers to your model to back this up, mind you) . However, a typical aftermarket headunit is still only giving you 17w-22w at best. So with that said, Yes an aftermarket headunit will typically give you better performance than OEM, its not an huuuge difference. To make a substantial difference, you want to add an amp. If you dont need a million watts if you dont want to, but its the best way to make a "noticeable difference". This is just the tip of the iceberg, but there's an answer :)
Team Duratec #42
Old 02-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
badazz2010focus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78166
What I Drive: 2010 ingot silver 2 dr 5 speed

FF Reputation: 7 badazz2010focus Good Standing Member
yes that's just the tip of the ice berg, go into more detail if you will.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
JEDI 2.0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 127626
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 JEDI 2.0 Good Standing Member
Aftermarket stereos ALWAYS sound better than stock. Even cars with a factory Bose system, IMO not all the potential is unleashed in any factory audio component.

You have a plethora of options: amp(s), signal cleaner, aftermarket equalizer, etc etc. ...

Unless you're reeeeeaaaallly picky, a stock head unit ran to a decent amp, ran to decent speakers, will sound quite good.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
Kipp
FocusFest Event Team

Fan#: 31300
What I Drive: 2013 F150 4x4 5.0, 2014 HD 883 Iron

FF Reputation: 9 Kipp Good Standing Member
correct. an aftermarket headunit will give more power as well as better sound quality. that said; if you are wanting to keep the factory headunit there are ways to get a better sound. you can still add a 4 channel amp to your factory headunit with aftermarket speakers. this will def improve sound and use the speakers to a better ability than just the headunit by itself.
Midwest Crew #22
Official FocusFest Event Planner
Old 02-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85112
What I Drive: 2010 Ingot Silver Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 lacole725 Good Standing Member
A year or two ago, I put a head unit into my fiance's Escape with the Mach audio system. I thought it really made a difference, especially with the bass, but what do I know? I just ordered some Pioneer speakers for front and rear, so I will see how they sound before I get an amp or a head unit. We have a car club at school and a couple guys work at a car audio shop in town and a lot of people have more advanced sound systems, so I am sure they could give me a hand installing.

Would it be worth it to try and get a hold of the factory subwoofer box and a small sub to install in the trunk, or would it cost too much for what it is worth? I'd rather not have a large box taking up half my trunk. I saw a few posts saying there is a wire ran back there, but it is dead (I think) and the factory head unit doesn't have a plug for the sub, so I'd have to get a new head unit.

Bookmarks & Social Networks