SVTF vs. '04 MUSTANG GT - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-18-2005, 06:29 PM   #1
SVT03
Banned

Fan#: 3742
What I Drive: '05 COBALT SS

FF Reputation: 1 SVT03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SVTF vs. '04 MUSTANG GT

I was on my way home last night, just cruisin' on the freeway, when I pass a nice, orange GT. Just passing by. No biggie. then, about 30 secs. later, he changes lanes behind me, and rides my ass. I think he saw the SVT badge and decided to challenge. Now, I'm no idiot. i know for a fact that i can't beat a GT. But I figured on the freeway, I would lose barely, and I'll tell ya why:

About a year ago, I had an '04 GT atx rental car (yes, the dealership let me have one for a few days). This thing had NO BALLS. It was ok from light to light, but on the freway it sucked real bad. I had to press the gas all the way just to get enough power to get a good pass. I never raced anyone in it, but I was unimpressed with the top-end.

Anyways, remembering that, I figured that a top end race would fair well for me. So I downshift into 3rd and gun it. I got a good distance, which gave him the hint that i wanted to race. he chased. We got onto the next freeway, and slowed down. When we were sided up at 65mph, I dropped to 3rd, and punched it. he punched too. I could hear his engine roaring, so i know he was trying. He was slowly gaining on me, but it took a good 10 seconds to barely pass me. i was proud! I knew I was gonna loose, but I thought he'd pound me more than that. So we tried again. Same thing, i punch it. Again, he's barely passing me. then all of a sudden he's gone like a bullet! remember the cobra vs. supra video? Yea, he burned me like that! He musta been sprayin', just he was gone like we were racing from a standstill at a light. I know a stock GT doesn't have a top end like that! Anyways, it was fun.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2005, 06:41 PM   #2
popecruz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17124
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 popecruz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Sounds like fun. Personally i like racing ( i know its illegal ) and im a very good loser. I'll race an 04 cobra ( i have ), and made me look like toy, but who cares, its still a rush.
All your hard work and training for AutoX and you get sliding off the road and jacking your suspension named after you. That sucks.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:42 PM   #3
mustanggt_50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 13592
What I Drive: 2002 Supercharged Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 mustanggt_50 Good Standing Member
Sounds like a sweet race... I can never get the good ones here
Old 02-18-2005, 09:47 PM   #4
2004SVTAutoXer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19123
What I Drive: BMW 335i Coupe, 79 CJ-7

FF Reputation: 26 2004SVTAutoXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i believe an 04 GT is only .1 faster in the quarter than an SVT

could be wrong - it's 3rd rate info from a VW guy i work with.
SVT Squad #133 - Traded for 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited in Quartz Silver Metallic - Traded for 2008 BMW 335i Coupe with stock twin turbo Juiceboxed 500whp and 500wtq of N54 goodness.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:54 PM   #5
mustanggt_50
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by 2004SVTAutoXer
i believe an 04 GT is only .1 faster in the quarter than an SVT

could be wrong - it's 3rd rate info from a VW guy i work with.
04 GT's run anywhere from 13.9-14.5 depending on the driver and tranny.. Could vary some also.. Fastest ones would be high 13s with good skills behind the wheel!! This wasnt 1/4 mile though, Mustangs arent 'usually' the strongest in a race from a roll. I know mine is a dog on the hwy!! Prolly more so than the modulars!
Old 02-19-2005, 12:00 AM   #6
popecruz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17124
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 popecruz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I dont know if I'd say its a dog on the highway, if you compare it to an SRT-4 maybe, but not most cars.
All your hard work and training for AutoX and you get sliding off the road and jacking your suspension named after you. That sucks.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:07 AM   #7
mustanggt_50
Focus Addict

Compared to its off the line potention mine is a hwy dog! Good ol no high rpm power 5.0! The mod cars smoke my mild modded 5.0 on the hwy, but I smoke them off the line and through the 1/4 mile!!

Only reason I called mine a dog! I just said that Mustangs arent 'usually' the strongest from a roll, but stated 'mine' as being the dog!! 03 Cobras are killer from a roll though
Old 02-19-2005, 04:13 PM   #8
2004SVTAutoXer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19123
What I Drive: BMW 335i Coupe, 79 CJ-7

FF Reputation: 26 2004SVTAutoXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
haha, yeah a 390hp supercharged will smoke a lot ;D
SVT Squad #133 - Traded for 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited in Quartz Silver Metallic - Traded for 2008 BMW 335i Coupe with stock twin turbo Juiceboxed 500whp and 500wtq of N54 goodness.

Bookmarks & Social Networks