Need help find mods - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-20-2014, 12:12 AM   #11
Conflicted Chaos
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118009
What I Drive: 05 Focus ZX4 Sedan - 94 Accord VTEC

Points 420, Level 8
Points: 420, Level: 8 Points: 420, Level: 8 Points: 420, Level: 8
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Conflicted Chaos Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
FSWerks has one of the best cold air intakes that's affordable (especially if you can find a used one). That was my first mod back in 2005 and haven't had any problems with puddles or rain since, and it rains quite frequently here in PA. FSWerks makes the best exhaust systems and header sets for our generation of Duratec Focus. If you get a 4-2-1 header with a flex pipe you can keep your cat and keep your car legal for emissions/inspection. OBX-R offers both that set and race headers at the same quality for half of price of FSWerks version. Keep an eye on the marketplace for Duratec performance parts in this forum. I've saved a fortune on parts here (some still brand new). Very knowledgeable and helpful people in Focus Fanatics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 12:33 AM   #12
yellowhatch
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 126730
What I Drive: 2006 Yellow Focus ZX3 MTX

Points 759, Level 14
Points: 759, Level: 14 Points: 759, Level: 14 Points: 759, Level: 14
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 3 yellowhatch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
These are your friends:

https://www.c-f-m.com/performanceparts/pc/home.asp

http://www.fswerks.com/

http://www.focus-power.com/

http://www.steedafocus.com/parts/foc...d-air-intakes/

Just to name a few: I am new to the Focus myself.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:45 AM   #13
Conflicted Chaos
Focus Enthusiast

Points 420, Level 8
Level Up 40% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Meant to say the "4-1" race header not the "4-2-1" sorry I was thinking about the one I have in my Honda for some reason lol.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:20 AM   #14
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 9,753, Level 66
Points: 9,753, Level: 66 Points: 9,753, Level: 66 Points: 9,753, Level: 66
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 70 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Dang it, you're messin' with us.

I was gonna look one of those up since I didn't know it was available!

Shucks

S.R. #275
Old 02-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #15
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85112
What I Drive: 2010 Ingot Silver Focus SE Sedan

Points 2,903, Level 33
Points: 2,903, Level: 33 Points: 2,903, Level: 33 Points: 2,903, Level: 33
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 3 lacole725 Good Standing Member
You won't have to worry about taking in water with a CAI. I have one from FSWerks on my car and haven't had a problem. For a while we were having a lot of rain and the roads where I worked had craters for potholes, so it was like a tidal wave every time I went through them. I had a race header, but I got an inspection ticket (MD) because it was so loud. I sold it to another FF member.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #16
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97562
What I Drive: 2007 Oxford White ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 Phestezio Good Standing Member
Haha yeah that got me too, wish there was a 4-2-1 header for the duratec. but the OBX header is a good header for half the price of the FSWerks header but it is just stainless steel, no ceramic coating to help with the temps so you would want to wrap or get the OBX one coated to keep the temps down.

There are LOADS of mods to be done to the duratec, MOST 2.3 parts will fit on the 2.0 and there are plenty of SRI to be had on the duratec. There is a post the yellowhatch did a few weeks ago where he made his own SRI, it has some pretty good pictures to show you how to do it and it looked really good for being a homemade SRI, I was thinking about making one myself haha.

It really comes down to what you want to do with the car and how far you want to take it. Most of these mods are going to require a tune so getting a flasher and being ready to pay tom for tuning services also needs to be on your list. Especially if your planning on putting a header on.

The CAT is apart of the stock exhaust manifold so I guarantee you still have a CAT. What was removed from your car and replaced with straight pipe was either the second CAT on a PZEV car or just a resonator. Once you put a header on it will delete the CAT but will also require tuning since pretty much all headers only have 1 O2 sensor bung so you have no place to put your center and downstream O2 sensors, which causes the CEL to come on and probably run pretty poorly. The only header I have seen for the duratec that will not throw a CEL is the F2 header that has 3 O2 bungs, however I don't like the locations of the O2 sensors in that header but they do claim that it won't throw a CEL. Check out the For Sale section and look around here there are lots of parts to be had and save some money.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #17
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,903, Level 33
Level Up 2% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phestezio View Post
The CAT is apart of the stock exhaust manifold so I guarantee you still have a CAT. What was removed from your car and replaced with straight pipe was either the second CAT on a PZEV car or just a resonator. Once you put a header on it will delete the CAT but will also require tuning since pretty much all headers only have 1 O2 sensor bung so you have no place to put your center and downstream O2 sensors, which causes the CEL to come on and probably run pretty poorly. The only header I have seen for the duratec that will not throw a CEL is the F2 header that has 3 O2 bungs, however I don't like the locations of the O2 sensors in that header but they do claim that it won't throw a CEL. Check out the For Sale section and look around here there are lots of parts to be had and save some money.
When I put my header on, I ran it for a day without an O2 sensor. Talk about running rich. My fuel mileage was cut in half and you could just tell it was not happy.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #18
Conflicted Chaos
Focus Enthusiast

Points 420, Level 8
Level Up 40% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Now I'm a little concerned. I have my obx header scheduled to be installed next week. I wasn't able to get the sct tuner that I desperately needed. So my car is going to run like s@#$ and lose gas mileage until I get a tune or an O2 sensor bypass?? Also does the stainless header HAVE to be wrapped or coated? I know that this one eventually turns blue, but I've seen a lot of stainless steel headers on older cars rust out. I have the ceramic DC Sports header on my 94 Accord and it performs nice and is holding up great. Let me know guys I'm not going to have access to a tune for a a few weeks.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #19
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97562
What I Drive: 2007 Oxford White ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 Phestezio Good Standing Member
Haha yeah I would imagine it would not be happy at all without an O2 sensor, I'd imagine the ECU basically thought that the O2 sensor was there and was reading nothing but air, which would make it want to enrich the fuel mixture to try and reach a stoich range mixture, but since the O2 sensor wasn't actually in the exhaust or in this case not hooked up at all no matter how much the ECU enriched the fuel mixture the O2 sensor was still just reading air. So basically the ECU just maxed out its short term fuel trim to try and get to a stoich range but since the device that determines that isn't there it actually runs really rich. Good to know haha
Old 02-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #20
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,903, Level 33
Level Up 2% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflicted Chaos View Post
Now I'm a little concerned. I have my obx header scheduled to be installed next week. I wasn't able to get the sct tuner that I desperately needed. So my car is going to run like s@#$ and lose gas mileage until I get a tune or an O2 sensor bypass?? Also does the stainless header HAVE to be wrapped or coated? I know that this one eventually turns blue, but I've seen a lot of stainless steel headers on older cars rust out. I have the ceramic DC Sports header on my 94 Accord and it performs nice and is holding up great. Let me know guys I'm not going to have access to a tune for a a few weeks.
It will pretty much idle and run the same, but you will notice some inconsistencies in throttle response or other weird things. If you are used to how your car runs, you will notice the very slight differences. If someone that has never ridden in your car before goes for a ride, they won't notice. I typically average around 36 mpg, but when I ran without the O2 sensor, I was running 23-26 mpg. I had the sensor in the bung, but it wasn't hooked up because I was waiting on information from FSWerks or CFM about modifying the extension (which I ended up not even really needing).

Bookmarks & Social Networks