Lack of cruise control and tach. Want to install - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
jwindbigler
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 139441
What I Drive: 2007 Maroon Focus

FF Reputation: 1 jwindbigler Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Lack of cruise control and tach. Want to install

I have a 2007 focus SE. Its a 5 speed. Since its a manual, I would love to be able to see my RPM. But dont want to use one of those tacky tachs you see at autozone. Id much prefer an OEM look. I did try to search on here, but was really confused by what would work on my car. It seemed like there was a debate. Some said the roush would, but the SVT cluster wouldnt. Otheres said, none would work. I couldnt follow the thread.

The other thing is that my car does not have cruise control, and would like to install it. Id like to know if its possible on a car that didnt come with it. All I would need, and how much of a PITA it is.

Thank you guys.

Justin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 22 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Find a gauge cluster on ebay that has a tach. 06-07 will fit 100% plug and play (05 should be fine too.) I bought one for around $50 and swapped over once the mileage matched up (mileage is stored on the cluster.) You should also be able to get a dealership to reprogram the mileage but that will cost more.

There is no easy option for cruise control, no simple kit for that as nothing is in place for it from the factory.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
00CSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69872
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 00CSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You could grab a cluster from a junkyard or go on car-part.com and see if any junkyards in your area have a cluster with tach with the same (ideally slightly more) miles than your car and then swap when the miles are the same. Like rambleon84 said the miles are stored in the cluster.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
jwindbigler
Focus Enthusiast

that's a relief. At least the cluster is plug and play as long as its an 06-07. Most likely ill just go to the dealer and have it programmed in there. That way its right.

As far as the cruise control goes, can I just go to a junk yard and find one that has it, and take out the switch, the cables, and Im assuming that theres a black box in there that goes to the ecu. Im sure Im missing something, so some help would be appreciated.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:49 PM   #5
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
As rambleon84 mentioned, trying to install factory cruise control in a model prior to the use of an electronic throttle body is so difficult we can't remember a successful attempt.

It's a harder chore to attempt than swapping in air conditioning (not recommended) or changing engine/transmission types (possible).

The reason is the wiring. Some options can be added with just the parts, like fog lights that the harness is already wired for, or power windows/locks that only need new door harnesses beyond the hard parts.

Cruise control interfaces with most of the car, from vehicle speed info. to brake/clutch sensors to gauge cluster indicator. Steering wheel needs a clock spring connector to the column harness, it has it's own hidden ECU, there's the cable control unit under the hood, all of which is connected through a different main wiring harness.

Check old threads on the question, don't think anyone reported success.

You'll see "easy to do" from later cars with the electronic throttle body (fly by wire) since on those all that was needed was a steering wheel from a car equipped with cruise control for the switches.

Sorry to disappoint, still better than buying parts and being frustrated trying to make it work.

S.R. #275

Old 02-18-2014, 06:12 AM   #6
jwindbigler
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
As rambleon84 mentioned, trying to install factory cruise control in a model prior to the use of an electronic throttle body is so difficult we can't remember a successful attempt.

It's a harder chore to attempt than swapping in air conditioning (not recommended) or changing engine/transmission types (possible).

The reason is the wiring. Some options can be added with just the parts, like fog lights that the harness is already wired for, or power windows/locks that only need new door harnesses beyond the hard parts.

Cruise control interfaces with most of the car, from vehicle speed info. to brake/clutch sensors to gauge cluster indicator. Steering wheel needs a clock spring connector to the column harness, it has it's own hidden ECU, there's the cable control unit under the hood, all of which is connected through a different main wiring harness.

Check old threads on the question, don't think anyone reported success.

You'll see "easy to do" from later cars with the electronic throttle body (fly by wire) since on those all that was needed was a steering wheel from a car equipped with cruise control for the switches.

Sorry to disappoint, still better than buying parts and being frustrated trying to make it work.
This is the advice I was looking for. I wasnt sure if it was already integrated in the harness, so all I had to do was get the switch, the ecu, and the cables, and could call it a day. Oh well.

You hit on a point that I ment to ask but didnt. Another thing that I would like to install is factory style fog lights. Are you saying that its a plug and play system? If so, wheres the pushbutton supposed to go for it?
Old 02-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 22 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwindbigler View Post
This is the advice I was looking for. I wasnt sure if it was already integrated in the harness, so all I had to do was get the switch, the ecu, and the cables, and could call it a day. Oh well.

You hit on a point that I ment to ask but didnt. Another thing that I would like to install is factory style fog lights. Are you saying that its a plug and play system? If so, wheres the pushbutton supposed to go for it?
you would need to first double check the wiring for the fogs is in place, i was not able to find the wiring for it on my '07 (maybe i didnt look hard enough) You would need to buy a fog light switch, its built into the regular head light switch on fog light equipped cars (pull action.) You should be able to find that at a junkyard or ebay easy enough though. Finding a fog light car at a junk yard would be your best bet (most cost effective too) as you could just take all the parts you need
Old 02-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
jwindbigler
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
you would need to first double check the wiring for the fogs is in place, i was not able to find the wiring for it on my '07 (maybe i didnt look hard enough) You would need to buy a fog light switch, its built into the regular head light switch on fog light equipped cars (pull action.) You should be able to find that at a junkyard or ebay easy enough though. Finding a fog light car at a junk yard would be your best bet (most cost effective too) as you could just take all the parts you need
I dont think that mine came with fog lights from ford.

Come spring time, Ill hit up the local yards, and see if I can find something. Thank you.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #9
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
X2 on checking for the wiring first.

Pre-wired for fogs varied between models & years. Find the unused pigtail connectors at the two front corners an you've got it.

S.R. #275

Old 02-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
Buickboy
br/o/stang

Fan#: 28542
What I Drive: 72 Skylark, '12 Mustang

FF Reputation: 39 Buickboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
My 07 SE was wired for fogs, just needed the lights and switch

Tach cluster will work from 05-07, as stated. The duratec cars have a different plug than the zetec and spi cars. Id be willing to bet a cluster from a 03-04 duratec car would work too. I forget the pin number difference but the easiest way to tell is the duratec cars dont have a stop pin at the top of the tach (right after 7k).

Bookmarks & Social Networks