easy mods? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-15-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
zetec035
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119219
What I Drive: 2003 red ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 zetec035 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
easy mods?

The granny sedan needs a little upgrade lol... Stock 2.0. any thoughts on performance i was thinking bigger cams throttle body and maybe a chip. Still have egr and all that junk. I have a magnaflow high flow cat on it and a resonator delete but no difference. was thinking on a full rebuild but that's way out of the budget. mtx-75 trans any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 47 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
HERE is a link to our sticky threads, it has all the info your wanting to know and then some.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 02-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
nboyles85737
Focus Addict

Fan#: 130386
What I Drive: 2000 Autumn Orange SE

FF Reputation: 2 nboyles85737 Good Standing Member
Tune, headers(svt set up is best I hear), tb and tune again
Sedan Revolution Member #288 Broken Focus owner Autox'er
Old 02-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
wideband air/fuel ratio gauge, nitrous, and tune. easiest and biggest bang for your buck power adder you can put on a focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
zetec035
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119219
What I Drive: 2003 red ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 zetec035 Good Standing Member
This Is a daily driver. Lol. Plus I can't get nitrous where I live its illegal. Soon gonna find adonor car and build it for boost and drop it in.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
Orbital431
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 84956
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Orbital431 Good Standing Member
2.5" exhaust all the way back is the most satisfying thing I did to mine haha. :) Since you have your high flow cat, combine it with some headers (i have the FSWerks race headers, a little loud but they delete the cat so i'd stick with what u got), 2.5" flex pipe from c-f-m, i have a Flowmaster HP-2 Shorty Muffler, and had a shop make me the pipework all the way back
Old 02-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

my car was a daily for a few years on the bottle. if the tune is good and you keep a close eye on it the nitrous wont hurt anything. of course that is assuming you dont go over a 100-125 shot on a regular basis.

and its only illegal if you get caught. remote bottle opener and a quick line disconnect in the cab of the car and youre good. they cant do a thing if the kit isnt hooked up when they walk up to the car.
Quote:
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Old 02-18-2014, 12:40 AM   #8
nboyles85737
Focus Addict

Fan#: 130386
What I Drive: 2000 Autumn Orange SE

FF Reputation: 2 nboyles85737 Good Standing Member
He's a bad influence, follow the law
Sedan Revolution Member #288 Broken Focus owner Autox'er
Old 02-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
forddorf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31248
What I Drive: 2001 malibu blue zx3 / turbo-2004

FF Reputation: 3 forddorf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
svt header,svt air box/snorkel, orp tube or keep your hi-flow cat, 2.5" flex pipe ,2.5" fswerks stealth exhaust and tune. This from my experience is one of the best combinations.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #10
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

WARNING!!!! INCOMING BOOK ALERT!

maybe i am a bit of a bad influence but its the truth nonetheless. it is also against the law to run an off road pipe, or delete the EGR but people do this quite often and never bat an eyelash. if you want to keep the easy daily driver function of the car AND make easy cheap power when you want it then nitrous is the simplest way to do it. the car will drive and function like stock for daily driving and if you decide you want to hit it for whatever reason it is ready to go within a few seconds.

other bolt on mods like header, exhaust, intake are fine but truth be told you wont feel any noticeable difference. maybe if you do a svt header conversion you might feel a little bit. the only way you will notice any real difference in performance will be with some form of forced induction like a supercharger, nitrous, or a turbo kit.

superchargers are expensive and a pain in the ass to put on in my experience with my jackson racing supercharger that i had and the power gain is very low for the effort and money. you might get 180whp on a JRSC and the absolute most you will get from ANY supercharger on a standard zetec platform is around 220whp.

turbo kits are the only way to go if you want immediate consistent power on tap but once again they are expensive. i would say its less of a pain to install a turbo than a supercharger personally. it takes a little longer because there are more small things to put on but is overall less frustrating. but if you go this route you will loose some driveability with the car. for example you will have to run a more aggressive clutch which will be harder to operate on the street and it will not last for nearly as many miles.

with the nitrous kit you can leave the car otherwise STOCK so it will drive exactly the same with the kit as it does without it until you turn it on. you can still run an oem clutch which will hold quite a bit of juice before it pushes it to the point of slipping unless its already worn out. i also found out from personal experience that an OEM replacement clutch from exedy will hold a 125shot with full bolt ons with no problem. i ran that clutch for 60k miles or more and after it came out of the car for a clutch that will hold 400ft/lbs/tq it still looks like it has lots of good usable life left in it.

if you disagree with me thats fine but the guy wouldnt be here asking questions if he didnt want peoples opinions so i felt compelled to give mine.

final note: you never mentioned if your car is automatic or manual. it it is manual everything i said up until now applies. if it is automatic i would take it easy on the spirited driving because they dont hold up so well to abuse unless the have performance torque converters and other internal upgrades. from what i understand a stock automatic trans is good for around 160-180hp with a good tune. and for that matter a simple tune with an automatic trans and you WILL notice a significant difference in performance.
Quote:

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->