My MPG lowered. Want help to fix - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #71
jwindbigler
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 139441
What I Drive: 2007 Maroon Focus

FF Reputation: 1 jwindbigler Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crice8 View Post
Yes there is a reduction of life but with a slight increase in performance, I think I went ahead and gaped mine about .057 just to be on the safe side. Spark plugs are cheap though
Very true. At least these things are easy to get to. Unlike an LT1 firebird. Want to talk about a PITA to get to the back two plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #72
Outlaw5.0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84300
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 Outlaw5.0 Good Standing Member
The wheels had to affected the MPG, I'm sure my SES 17's are not helping. I only get 29-30 mpg in the city on the average with 31 being the highest. The highway is 34-35 mpg on the average. As for spark plugs, I tried the AR103's, no gain what so ever and tried gaps from .045 up .060.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #73
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Plugs on a LT1? How about the plugs and the optispark had two go out on me and just dropped the motor to change the plugs. I know what you mean bro!
Old 02-19-2014, 02:42 AM   #74
Driven5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95835
What I Drive: Building a Duratec powered Locost.

FF Reputation: 1 Driven5 Good Standing Member
In regards to the idea that wheel weight specifically is a significant factor, some reasonably reliable (specific testing) information can be found here and here. While wheel weight can play a relatively significant performance role, it does not so much for fuel economy. Especially for steady state (highway) driving....Which is very telling, when this statement is taken into account:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwindbigler View Post
I recently did a freeway trip to Grand Rapids. About a 300 mile round trip, and normally I would get about 30-32mpg, and this last time I got 26.
Overall, it's rather unlikely that any one of the previously mentioned maintenance items had sudden-onset-end-of-life-performance-degradation with <60k miles on the odometer just happening to coincide with winter. So any gains you see from them now, would just as likely also have had a similar effect a few months ago before your fuel economy changed. If there are noticeable gains from any of this, great, but it would still have little to do with the reason this thread was actually started...So I would recommend not spending much time/effort (or money) chasing phantom problems just yet, nor have any real expectations of a noticeable improvement from doing so.

Again, aside from any driving style changes, all signs point almost exclusively to environmental factors related to winter weather, the assotiated winter tire construction and rubber compound, and a ~0.5mpg loss due to tire size throwing your calculations off. This is simply the reality of living with northern (MI) winters, and is something that southern folks (TX and FL) must be excused for not being familiar with the severity of effect it has.

Quote:
However the thing im suspecting is more the cold weather, and snow tires than anything else. I cant control the weather, and dont want to lose the stability of the new tires, so Im stuck till spring.
Occam's Razor.

You can follow my Duratec powered 'Locost' build at:
GarageOdyssey.blogspot.com
GarageOdyssey.tumblr.com
Old 02-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #75
jwindbigler
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickWilly View Post
Plugs on a LT1? How about the plugs and the optispark had two go out on me and just dropped the motor to change the plugs. I know what you mean bro!
LT1 - 1993-1997 camaro/trans am V8. Specifically I worked on a 1996.

What's the optispark in?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:07 AM   #76
jwindbigler
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven5 View Post
In regards to the idea that wheel weight specifically is a significant factor, some reasonably reliable (specific testing) information can be found here and here. While wheel weight can play a relatively significant performance role, it does not so much for fuel economy. Especially for steady state (highway) driving....Which is very telling, when this statement is taken into account:

Overall, it's rather unlikely that any one of the previously mentioned maintenance items had sudden-onset-end-of-life-performance-degradation with <60k miles on the odometer just happening to coincide with winter. So any gains you see from them now, would just as likely also have had a similar effect a few months ago before your fuel economy changed. If there are noticeable gains from any of this, great, but it would still have little to do with the reason this thread was actually started...So I would recommend not spending much time/effort (or money) chasing phantom problems just yet, nor have any real expectations of a noticeable improvement from doing so.

Again, aside from any driving style changes, all signs point almost exclusively to environmental factors related to winter weather, the assotiated winter tire construction and rubber compound, and a ~0.5mpg loss due to tire size throwing your calculations off. This is simply the reality of living with northern (MI) winters, and is something that southern folks (TX and FL) must be excused for not being familiar with the severity of effect it has.

Occam's Razor.
At almost 60k, isn't it about time to change the plugs? I bought it from a dealer at 38k
Old 02-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #77
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84830
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Gray Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 9 crice8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
At almost 60k, isn't it about time to change the plugs? I bought it from a dealer at 38k
Yes it is. I think what he is saying is that it wouldn't cause a sudden decrease in mpgs. It would have been gradual over time.
Galatians 6:14
Old 02-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #78
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
LT1 - 1993-1997 camaro/trans am V8. Specifically I worked on a 1996.

What's the optispark in?
There in all LT1 motors, its their infrared laser distributor, about 1000$ to replace and requires pulling the radiator to get to it easily. There real sensitive too, a drop of water can kill one.

I owned a 94 on a lot of nitrous but damn the car was fun. I actually traded it in for my Focus.

Trans Brake, ARMING, Bottle Heater

Old 02-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #79
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Change your plugs too man, that's enough miles to justify the 6$ it will cost.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #80
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84830
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Gray Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 9 crice8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickWilly View Post
Change your plugs too man, that's enough miles to justify the 6$ it will cost.
This^
I cannot stress this enough! It is such a cheap and quick maintenance. Takes 10 minutes and can only help!
Galatians 6:14

Bookmarks & Social Networks