My MPG lowered. Want help to fix - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #41
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 9,931, Level 66
Points: 9,931, Level: 66 Points: 9,931, Level: 66 Points: 9,931, Level: 66
Level Up 71% Completed
Level up: 71% Level up: 71% Level up: 71%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 70 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
00CSVT's offered some good data, matches expected gains from a CAI.

The FSWerks race exhaust is quite loud, would work well as a reminder to feather the throttle to avoid excessive noise. There's a current discussion on race vs. stealth exhausts in the MkIII section if you don't want to search back thru the Duratec section for opinions.

LONG thread on spark plugs can be found in the duratec performance section. The Autolite 103/104 plugs (different heat ranges) were proven to provide a slight improvement in H.P. on a Dyno, but that was only when fresh. IIRC you'd have to change them as often as your oil for a performance advantage, not much longer than that they would be worn out. No info there on MPG improvement IIRC.

Looking into those plugs & trying them would be a worthwhile experiment. Stocks can last the 100,000 service interval but pulling them to never-seize the threads is a good idea by half that, left too long they can seize in the head.

There's one more thing to research & try out at least. The autolite's could use regular checks to see how they're working, save the originals as back ups.

Cheers

S.R. #275
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #42
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

Points 4,045, Level 40
Points: 4,045, Level: 40 Points: 4,045, Level: 40 Points: 4,045, Level: 40
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwindbigler View Post
...and so the fighting begins. Slick, even though that Ive only been on here for like 2 whole weeks now, this is the second argument ive seen you responsible for. Why so much animosity? Why be argumentative?
Both arguments were sparked by crice about the same exact thing you should note. Sorry for trying to save you hundreds in wasted mods, waste a grand on your car, not my worries just trying to help. In fact I offered more help in both threads and out of us two am the only one to help you, help you save thousands. Good call.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #43
sailor
"Elder"

Points 9,931, Level 66
Level Up 71% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
Here's the duratec spark plug sticky for your information:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ht=Spark+Plugs

That's one worthwhile experiment you can try, and your plugs are due to come out to never-seize the threads so they don't freeze into the head from corrosion anyways. Save the old ones for backup/comparison.

S.R. #275
Old 02-14-2014, 10:13 PM   #44
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84830
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Gray Focus SE Sedan

Points 8,339, Level 61
Points: 8,339, Level: 61 Points: 8,339, Level: 61 Points: 8,339, Level: 61
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 9 crice8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickWilly View Post
Both arguments were sparked by crice about the same exact thing you should note. Sorry for trying to save you hundreds in wasted mods, waste a grand on your car, not my worries just trying to help. In fact I offered more help in both threads and out of us two am the only one to help you, help you save thousands. Good call.
I believe he is talking about a different instance that had nothing to do with me man. I have seen you get in to it with many people on here... even as soon as you started becoming more active on the forum. You kind of remind everyone of Mac. And I'm not just saying that because of our recent disagreements. I'm over the argument here and I apologize to the OP and other members of the thread that it has affected. I choose to agree to disagree. No hard feelings at all.
Galatians 6:14
Old 02-15-2014, 07:19 AM   #45
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,131, Level 97
Points: 27,131, Level: 97 Points: 27,131, Level: 97 Points: 27,131, Level: 97
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I thought this was a thread about fuel economy?

1) CAIs help. If that hasn't been covered. Clean your MAF regularly for at least 2 months if you're using an oil infused filter in your CAI. Oil will throw off your MAF reading in a bad way making you run rich until the O2 sensor catches up on the back end.
2) Exhaust might help, but too much exhaust will drop your fuel economy. Cat-backs are ok, but ORPs and removing a cat can be too much for a stocker.
3) Regular maintenance is most important- change those fuel filters every 20-30k unless you have an 08+.
4) AR103 or 104 plugs are best, and the only mod you can make to ignition that does anything worthwhile. These cars have the best type of ignition there is. The bummer is that you need to check those frequently to clean off deposits and replace when needed. Lazy people would simply replace at 25k. I knew an old guy who used to just clean and re-gap until there wasn't anything to left to gap. The heat range is important, you don't want to run the colder plugs in winter unless you block off your radiator. You'll just waste fuel.
5) Definitely block off part of your radiator in the winter. The 05 came from the factory with a 160F thermostat (mine did), but Ford changed that to a more normal 194F in 06. I wouldn't suggest changing the thermostat because it's so expensive. You can watch your temp using the electronic odometer trick, but I highly recommend blocking off as much of the radiator as you can when temps are below 50F. You 06+ people should double check your temps with the electronic odometer. This has given me a 3 mpg boost as compared to running without the radiator blocked and with winter blend fuel.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #46
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Points 8,339, Level 61
Level Up 63% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
I thought this was a thread about fuel economy?

1) CAIs help. If that hasn't been covered. Clean your MAF regularly for at least 2 months if you're using an oil infused filter in your CAI. Oil will throw off your MAF reading in a bad way making you run rich until the O2 sensor catches up on the back end.
2) Exhaust might help, but too much exhaust will drop your fuel economy. Cat-backs are ok, but ORPs and removing a cat can be too much for a stocker.
3) Regular maintenance is most important- change those fuel filters every 20-30k unless you have an 08+.
4) AR103 or 104 plugs are best, and the only mod you can make to ignition that does anything worthwhile. These cars have the best type of ignition there is. The bummer is that you need to check those frequently to clean off deposits and replace when needed. Lazy people would simply replace at 25k. I knew an old guy who used to just clean and re-gap until there wasn't anything to left to gap. The heat range is important, you don't want to run the colder plugs in winter unless you block off your radiator. You'll just waste fuel.
5) Definitely block off part of your radiator in the winter. The 05 came from the factory with a 160F thermostat (mine did), but Ford changed that to a more normal 194F in 06. I wouldn't suggest changing the thermostat because it's so expensive. You can watch your temp using the electronic odometer trick, but I highly recommend blocking off as much of the radiator as you can when temps are below 50F. You 06+ people should double check your temps with the electronic odometer. This has given me a 3 mpg boost as compared to running without the radiator blocked and with winter blend fuel.
All terrific info! I have seen the radiator blocking method on ecomodder.com turn out great for many people. I live in Texas so it's not really worth it for me to try (:

I highly suggest going to ar103 or 104 plugs as well. All 4 will cost you less than $10. $10 every 10k miles is a small price to pay for the benefits you would keep up. It's actually much cheaper than changing your oil (:
Old 02-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #47
jwindbigler
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 139441
What I Drive: 2007 Maroon Focus

FF Reputation: 1 jwindbigler Good Standing Member
How does one block off a section of the radiator? Just put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator?

I have a 2007 focus. JSYK
Old 02-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #48
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Points 8,339, Level 61
Level Up 63% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwindbigler View Post
How does one block off a section of the radiator? Just put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator?

I have a 2007 focus. JSYK
Check out ecomodder.com it will explain how in great detail. There are also many more suggestions on how to increase mpgs.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:21 PM   #49
sailor
"Elder"

Points 9,931, Level 66
Level Up 71% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
IIRC Whynot just covers the cardboard with Duct Tape to keep it from falling apart...

S.R. #275
Old 02-16-2014, 05:22 PM   #50
jwindbigler
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 139441
What I Drive: 2007 Maroon Focus

FF Reputation: 1 jwindbigler Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by crice8 View Post
Check out ecomodder.com it will explain how in great detail. There are also many more suggestions on how to increase mpgs.
Ill be sure to check them out. Thank you

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.