My un-biased Tune Review (Focus-Power SCT) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
papaacer
Sonic's MK3 Crew #25

Fan#: 111083
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

Points 6,233, Level 51
Points: 6,233, Level: 51 Points: 6,233, Level: 51 Points: 6,233, Level: 51
Level Up 42% Completed
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 11 papaacer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
My un-biased Tune Review (Focus-Power SCT)

This is gonna be long so please, be patient, you wonít regret it. I believe that if you pay big money for something, like a tune, you should have a great experience. I am doing this write-up to let you guys know my honest experience to help you guys choose between tuners. I hope this does not create an ďInjected vs TomĒ debate because both guys are great tuners but my decision was based on the fact that Tomís tune suited me better. So please try to avoid that debate because it has been covered before. I have been documenting this process since the beginning and it has been a pretty awesome learning experience so far. Let me remind you that the tuning process is very new to me, and while I somewhat know how the process works, there is so much room for learning. So as you read this, bear with me as i am learning as i write. Let me say that I started off with a 2012 Focus SE 2.0 TI-VCT with the non-Selectshift DCT. Engine modifications included a K&N Typhoon intake and 2.25 custom axle-back exhaust that has a Glasspack at the end.

Purchasing Experience
This went rather well. I simply went to Tomís website, placed the order, and paid him via paypal a total of 431.57. The total is a combination of 399.00 for the tuning, 20.00 for shipping, and a separate payment of 12.57 for the paypal charges. I didnít know about that last payment of 12.57 as it is noted in the original checkout screen but disappears when i went to pay. So Tom sent me an email telling me to send it via another payment. A little confusing but we fixed it and I didnít let it bug me. One thing that did bug me was the lack of a tracking number. Itís honestly not a big deal to me since I know itís coming and it will get here when it gets here. Iím sure to some people this can be a problem since they want to know where their shipment is at. Like I said, no big deal. I did fix this problem by asking for the tracking number. Which he was going to give me, but as I walked up my door steps, my package was there! It took two days for it to get to my doorstep once it was shipped out. At this point, I was dang excited!

First Pre-Tune Dyno
I decided that, for the sake of this write-up, I should do multiple dyno runs. The first one went pretty frigginí awesome! Thunderhill raceway (some may know it) is actually an awesome racetrack and the dyno there is very popular. MCE racing is the company name for the dyno. So what better place to go than 5 minutes from my doorstep? The shopís owner is named Kevin and he was a very nice guy. He let me know that online tuning is actually growing and is the way to go. Nothing beats dyno time though. The awesome thing was he cut me a deal and gave me three runs for $25. The usual charge for three runs is $60 so i guess i got a steal. Well here are the results. The first run was kind of a fluke, as we were trying to figure out the best way to get it in third and keeping it there for the entire rev range. (I have the non-selectshift DCT) We achieved this by putting it in uphill mode, going through the gears until fourth and then WOT which it then downshifts into third. It took some trial and error but we were able to do it. I tried recreating it myself, but I couldn't for some odd reason. I have a youtube video of the runs. (Links here) As I looked at the numbers and others on the forum did, we can see it kicked at 6200 RPM with the K&N intake while FSWerks kicked out at 6800. another thing that was noticed, was the air fuel ratios. Both runs had different AF ratios. I wish I knew why, but I donít. I can tell you it was about 40 degrees in the shop and we did not have a fan going for all three runs. I should have I know, but we didnít. Anyway, back to the numbers. The mixture for some reason, on the second one from 5.4 to 6k RPM it dipped to a rich mixture of 12 to 10 and up to 13 then to 12. Why? I have no idea. As you see in the 155 run, the mixture was kinda rich at 12 from 5.2k RPM but it stayed that way the entire rev range. Maybe some of you more experienced guys know why and i would love the input. But we will see how the dyno goes once iím custom tuned. Iím hoping the graph smooths out too because itís pretty jumpy as well.

Receiving Device and getting base tune

So, I just received my device and came in a USPS package and it took two days to get here. Right away I went to pull info from my car so I could send it to Tom. The package had the tuner, instructions, a CD, USB cable, and an SCT emblem. It device looks updated and the software is easy to use, even for me as a first time tuner. Well as I have learned over the course of the last week, SCT hasnít mae base files for all strategies. I sent Tom my info and he sent it to SCT and they could not locate a file for my strategy. Apparently, this has been an issue for the very early models of the MKIII. I have been going back and forth with Tom and SCT and both are very quick to respond. Their customer service is very good and Iím glad I chose Tom to tune with. UPDATE: It has been about two months that I bought the tune and man, was this a long wait. Basically, my car had the first strategy from Ford and SCT could not crack the code. So, my only option at this point was to get a PCM update. With my car being out of warranty, my dealer was gonna charge me.I did not have money to pay for this update (college kid and i had just purchased books), and should not have had to go through this if Tom had asked for my strategy before buying the device. I feel this is an area where Tom can improve. Anyway, as I said I could not pay for the update. I asked Tom if I could send the device back and just get a refund. At this point, after all the work of hastling SCT, Tom would not give up. He went ahead and paid for my update seeing the circumstances. I know itís not my fault that I was in the situation, but Tom handled it very well.

Base Tune

I finally received my base tune and my initial thoughts were that throttle response was better but not where I wanted it. I also got a CEL for P0650 which was a PCM error. I flashed to stock and unplugged battery. I drove it for a day and it did not return. I emailed Tom and he sent me a new tune right away. Then the real testing began! I did a few 0-60 tests (This was with my K&N intake) Times were: Stock- 8.5; 8.7; and 8.5 And tune-7.8; 7.5; and 7.7. That is a whole second right there! I noticed also that idle is a bit higher in the tune than stock. Another thing was that my throttle was still a bit laggy for my liking. Iím participating in autox so I need my throttle response and low end power to be a bit more. I am rarely in the high RPMs anyway. So, cue stock air box. I was so glad I kept it. As it had been proven, and after a small chat with dyn085, the stock Newmissioned air box made its way back into my engine. Iím going to perform 0-60 times as soon as I get some time and also datalogging to receive my custom tune. After I receive my custom tune, an update to this thread will happen and also dynos will come soon.

That's because if a sedan was used there would be too much awesomeness and the internet would explode.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
Boltjackson
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 121625
What I Drive: 2013,silver,focus se

Points 1,553, Level 22
Points: 1,553, Level: 22 Points: 1,553, Level: 22 Points: 1,553, Level: 22
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Boltjackson Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Subscribed
Old 02-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
papaacer
Sonic's MK3 Crew #25

Points 6,233, Level 51
Level Up 42% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltjackson View Post
Subscribed
That's because if a sedan was used there would be too much awesomeness and the internet would explode.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:44 PM   #4
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

Points 9,084, Level 64
Points: 9,084, Level: 64 Points: 9,084, Level: 64 Points: 9,084, Level: 64
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I regret it.
<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
Old 02-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
papaacer
Sonic's MK3 Crew #25

Points 6,233, Level 51
Level Up 42% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubhack View Post
I regret it.
Regret what???
Old 02-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
novus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 107022
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

Points 917, Level 16
Points: 917, Level: 16 Points: 917, Level: 16 Points: 917, Level: 16
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 5 novus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm assuming you're still updating?
Anyways. Subbed.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

Points 9,084, Level 64
Points: 9,084, Level: 64 Points: 9,084, Level: 64 Points: 9,084, Level: 64
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by novus View Post
I'm assuming you're still updating?
Anyways. Subbed.
The first sentence you typed. You said "you won't regret it."

I regret it. joke
<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
Old 02-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #8
papaacer
Sonic's MK3 Crew #25

Points 6,233, Level 51
Level Up 42% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubhack View Post
The first sentence you typed. You said "you will not regret it."

I regret it. joke
Good one haha i got more stuff coming though
Old 02-10-2014, 11:24 PM   #9
hEaT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20699
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White Focus ST

Points 3,049, Level 33
Points: 3,049, Level: 33 Points: 3,049, Level: 33 Points: 3,049, Level: 33
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 11 hEaT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Interested to see the new dyno with AFRs.

Impressed that Tom paid for the update too. Good stuff!
ZETEC Crew #49

Quote:
Originally posted by DrkKnight614
......hmm if that works then if i put a spinner on my butt hole and rip one will i be able to run faster. ...idiots
Old 02-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
papaacer
Sonic's MK3 Crew #25

Points 6,233, Level 51
Level Up 42% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
here is the pretune dyno Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromFF Mobile1392132253404.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	29913

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.