How to reach 40MPG - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #21
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84830
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Gray Focus SE Sedan

Points 8,339, Level 61
Points: 8,339, Level: 61 Points: 8,339, Level: 61 Points: 8,339, Level: 61
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 9 crice8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwindbigler View Post
It sounds like the biggest improvements I can make are to reduce the drivetrain weight. This increases my mpg without changing my driving style. Ill look into it. Thank you guys for all your input
Your driving style will still be the biggest factor in increasing mpgs. Its kind of like a tune, exhaust, intake and such actually increase efficiency and yield better mpgs. But then you here people complain that they saw little to no improvement of mpgs when doing these mods. Its because they no punch it more often due to the additional power and the louder exhaust

It all comes down to how you drive. Check out ecomodder.com for some recommendation on how to improve mpgs.
Galatians 6:14
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #22
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

Points 4,063, Level 40
Points: 4,063, Level: 40 Points: 4,063, Level: 40 Points: 4,063, Level: 40
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I like how you went from your side, reducing drive train weight to myside of driving style. Lolllllz.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #23
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Points 8,339, Level 61
Level Up 63% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickWilly View Post
I like how you went from your side, reducing drive train weight to myside of driving style. Lolllllz.
At no point did I say a single factor such as driving style or weight is the only way to increase mpgs. I also never stated that less weight at the wheels and such would yield better results than driving habit.. Please stop trying to start arguments and such here on the forum as well as trashing up threads.. You remind several of us of another member that should have been banned a long time ago for constantly starting crap with other members.... Do what you'd like in your personal life. But please keep it off the forum..
Old 02-18-2014, 05:44 PM   #24
nphxmark
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 142377
What I Drive: 2010 SES manual

FF Reputation: 1 nphxmark Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Most of my driving is rural and hwy. I find my MPG goes up as outside temps go up. If I shift between 1500 and 2000 and drive like an old man (lady) I can get 40MPG 2 tanks a year.
My mileage is over 35 every tank.
I use cruse control on the HWY. I dropped my speed from 65 to 64 and gained 2 MPG. I have 106,000 so I guess it is time to look into replacing plugs. Changed the air filter at 100,000.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:13 AM   #25
jwindbigler
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 139441
What I Drive: 2007 Maroon Focus

FF Reputation: 1 jwindbigler Good Standing Member
Idk what they did in 2008, but it seems like 08-current focus' get around 35 while 00-07 get around 30mpg
Old 02-19-2014, 08:39 AM   #26
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Points 8,339, Level 61
Level Up 63% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwindbigler View Post
Idk what they did in 2008, but it seems like 08-current focus' get around 35 while 00-07 get around 30mpg
Different aerodynamics and many other things such as gearing ratio and such.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:39 PM   #27
jwindbigler
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 139441
What I Drive: 2007 Maroon Focus

FF Reputation: 1 jwindbigler Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by crice8 View Post
Different aerodynamics and many other things such as gearing ratio and such.
Can one swap manual transmissions from an 08+ to a 2007 without any issues? Not intending on doing it anytime soon. Just info for when the transmission (or clutch) finally fails.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #28
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

Points 4,063, Level 40
Points: 4,063, Level: 40 Points: 4,063, Level: 40 Points: 4,063, Level: 40
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Drivetrain I believe is the same. I don't think you would gain anything though.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #29
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85112
What I Drive: 2010 Ingot Silver Focus SE Sedan

Points 2,903, Level 33
Points: 2,903, Level: 33 Points: 2,903, Level: 33 Points: 2,903, Level: 33
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 3 lacole725 Good Standing Member
Just to give you an example of how much driving environment effects fuel mileage:

I am originally from a rural area and have to drive on the highway for at least 10 minutes to get anywhere. I averaged 36 mpg, running a 93 octane tune, CAI, exhaust, and a header (for a little while). My best tank I ever had was 42 mpg during a 200 mile (one way) trip.

I moved to Alabama for college, I drive 99% in town. I'll get on the highway maybe once every month or two. The highest speed limit I see is 45 mph, but I will go up to 50-55 mph. My average fuel economy has dropped all the way down to 20-22 mpg. Of course, my tanks last longer because I only drive two miles or so a day.

Also, if you have a fuel mileage display on your dash, do not trust it. You must calculate your mpg by hand. The display could be either above or below, it is not always off by a certain amount.

Check out hypermiling forums if you want to get funky with the mileage game. Ecomodder is one that I hung out on for a while, they also have a tool that tracks your fuel usage. The only downside is you have to save your receipts, so my center console looks a mess. It shows a bar graph of how your mileage fluctuates and lets you know your overall average.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:34 PM   #30
09vistabluecoupe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 67900
What I Drive: 2009 Vista Blue SE coupe

FF Reputation: 2 09vistabluecoupe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacole725 View Post
Just to give you an example of how much driving environment effects fuel mileage:

I am originally from a rural area and have to drive on the highway for at least 10 minutes to get anywhere. I averaged 36 mpg, running a 93 octane tune, CAI, exhaust, and a header (for a little while). My best tank I ever had was 42 mpg during a 200 mile (one way) trip.

I moved to Alabama for college, I drive 99% in town. I'll get on the highway maybe once every month or two. The highest speed limit I see is 45 mph, but I will go up to 50-55 mph. My average fuel economy has dropped all the way down to 20-22 mpg. Of course, my tanks last longer because I only drive two miles or so a day.

Also, if you have a fuel mileage display on your dash, do not trust it. You must calculate your mpg by hand. The display could be either above or below, it is not always off by a certain amount.

Check out hypermiling forums if you want to get funky with the mileage game. Ecomodder is one that I hung out on for a while, they also have a tool that tracks your fuel usage. The only downside is you have to save your receipts, so my center console looks a mess. It shows a bar graph of how your mileage fluctuates and lets you know your overall average.
Time of year makes a huge difference on fuel economy too if you live somewhere with cold winters.

Also, totally agree with not being able to trust the computer on these. I always check my mileage when I fill up. Best I've got so far was on a trip with a favorable elevation drop and got 39.4mpg(almost 500miles to one tank).

www.fuelly.com is a site you can use to track your gas mileage, you can ad your fill-ups from your phone.

Midwest crew #52

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.