Aftermarket radio help Pioneer FH-X700BT - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-05-2014, 11:46 PM   #1
PlaneCarBoat
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 140122
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 PlaneCarBoat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Aftermarket radio help Pioneer FH-X700BT

Before I get started I would like to apologize for taking the stock 9006 Audiophile out of my SVTF. I know it's a sin but I just can't handle listening to the same 4 CD's in my car, I am ready for some Spotify.

Now...

i would like to put this[http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/FH-X700BT] in my car. Just to remind you I have a 2003 3-door black svt focus. I have a 2-din tool already.

Some questions:

Will I be able to keep my steering controlls? I know I probably won't be able to change the song with the controlls, but I wouold like to be able to change the volume.

Will the Pioneer actually fit in my car?

Will it use the same "harness" because they are both 2-din?

Can I stream internet radio through from my phone through bluetooth to my car's speakers?

Should I take this to a profesional or can I install it? I know how to take out the stock radio and disconnect wires, but if I have to splice wires then I will probably take it somewhere to get it installed

These are all of the questions I have right now.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by PlaneCarBoat; 02-05-2014 at 11:47 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2014, 12:34 AM   #2
wants2b rs
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73905
What I Drive: 2003 silver frost zx3 2.0 Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 wants2b rs Good Standing Member
unfortunately your svtf is not a 2din size so it will not fit with the stock rack. You will need to build a custom rack,or get a double din rack that will fit.
the hole is big enough for mine, so i think you will be fine there

About the wire harness I honestly cant remember if I used a universal harness or if they sell one for the svtf.......I have the zx3 with no steering controls and I don't remember doing much splicing so I think I bought one......if you want to keep the steering controls then you will probably need to do some wiring.

If your new stereo is compatible with Bluetooth and can stream internet radio i don't see why you wouldn't be able to.....i can answer phone calls on mine
through blue tooth

here is a how to that explains it much better than I read though it and if you think you cant handle it have someone else do it
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254740
Old 02-06-2014, 12:47 AM   #3
camaddox1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114671
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 camaddox1 Good Standing Member
The harness you'll need is the universal harness for ford vehicles. The complication comes from having to modify the factory plug that carried the subwoofer signal and steering wheel controls. Here is a link showing how to make the harness. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151335

BTW Pioneer decks work great for BT streaming from phones. Spotify may not show track info on the screen but pandora does. Are you IOS or Android?
Old 02-06-2014, 02:06 AM   #4
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 47 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Welcome to the forum

Moved to the car audio area, you'll get more help here.

Don't worry about ditching the factory radio. Even I'm about to ditch mine and I was all for keeping my SVT stock and now I have fairly big plans for it.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 02-06-2014, 04:28 AM   #5
mechanizeddeath
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 135913
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Metallic SE

FF Reputation: 1 mechanizeddeath Good Standing Member
Never installed in a Focus so I can't speak for fitment, but I've done a fair amount of installs over the years. For any aftermarket install you're going to need to wire up a harness.

At the simplest, you usually just have to match the wires that come with the stereo to whatever universal vehicle harness you have, in this case one for Ford. Usually they match by color, such as purple to purple and green to green, but you'll always want to double check just in case.

I always recommend soldering the connections and heat shrinking, but a lot of people feel that is overkill and just crimp the wires together. I've done that too if I didn't have soldering supplies on hand, and there's nothing wrong with it as long as your crimping hand or tool is strong and you make a solid connection that won't vibrate loose over time. Whatever you do, don't twist the wires and tape them... Can't tell you how many times I've seen that done and I even did it myself when I was 16 and didn't know any better.

To get a better idea of what I'm talking about, here's a picture of a harness I made several years ago to connect a Kenwood head unit to an older GM car:

Not my best work and those joints under the shrink tubing look pretty ugly, but nothing ever came loose. The black connector goes to the aftermarket stereo and the white connector goes to the factory connector. No need to cut the factory wires, and in fact that's the last thing you want to do!

But yeah, no matter what you do, you'll be connecting wires. If you don't feel comfortable doing any of this, you may want to take it to a shop.

Pioneer is pretty good stuff. I've run mostly Pioneer and Kenwood gear for the past 15-20 years or so and was never disappointed.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
PlaneCarBoat
Focus Rookie

Wow ,so many helpful responses. Thank you all.

@wants2b rs I think my focus is 2-din. I think this becuase I have taken my radio out with a 2-din tool. that link you gave me to the other thread explaining the steering whell controlls is very helpful. Would I really need the Axxess ASWC system? From what I understand the axxes system is just the interface, and because I already have steering wheel controlls, couldn't i just wire the stock controlls just like the axxes system? I think I can handle wiring that up. btw nice clean looking interface you got there

@camaddox1 I don't have a sub or amp so I think want2b rs's video that he linked me should explain all the same things. right? thank you for making me more comfortable about the pioneer deck! I am really excited to listen through BT. Also I am IOS.

@sleepyboy Thanks! I wasn't sure where to post this. Good luck with your big plans!

@mechanizeddeath I am pretty decent at soldering and the picture you included looks like something I could do. I will have to look at everything once i buy it. i was thinking about taking it to best buy. I heard that they install car audio systems. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
camaddox1
Focus Enthusiast

I didn't realize the 9006 came without the upgraded speakers and sub. My bad haha. To answer your question about the axxess module, yes you will need it. Its what actually interfaces your existing remote with the aftermarket headunit. Pioneer plays well with Android devices and very very well with IOS so you'll be just fine. Wiring up the new harness is super easy btw. I had more trouble trying to program the Axxess module. It took atleast 3 beers to get through it because I couldn't find a wiring diagram. Good luck!
Old 02-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #8
PlaneCarBoat
Focus Rookie

I just took out my radio and lookied in there. I saw a small black box with a red and black plugs in it. There was a green and a gray wire that twisted around eachother that came from the black box. In the back of the 9006 audiophile there were 4 visible pugs. One was the antenna. One was a smaller black plug that had probably about 6 wires running to it. Another one was a big yellow one and there was a medium black one. I will get some pics later.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #9
camaddox1
Focus Enthusiast

The antenna plug and 3 other plugs sounds right but no idea what the little black box is. If someone else wants to chime in.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #10
PlaneCarBoat
Focus Rookie

Okay I think the black box is an aftermarket amp. i remember the guy who I bought this from said there is a sub hook up in the back. I think my car has enough bass.

Here is an album of all the pictures of my radio. http://imgur.com/a/cDldw

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->