Need a tune, car throwing lean code. - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #11
nboyles85737
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 130386
What I Drive: 2000 Darker Red Se

FF Reputation: 1 nboyles85737 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
randy pretty much told me he refuses to tune cars with homemade parts because hes not familiar with every single one. since hes not familiar, it takes more time and he claims(and probably is)a busy guy. so you are my only option. i just wanted others opinions on randy that are not so biased. seems like quite a few on fj went from randy to you because of CS. others are happy with randy. however i like being babied my first time through, that and randys updates are not free for my car.

the bias you earned here seems well deserved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #12
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Thing is, and I know full well it works, if you don't tell the truth about what's done to your car you might get a better tune or more time put into it. i.e. a custom tune.

There really is no 'part' that can't be tuned for.
Things like off-brand or noname intakes (including manifolds) really make no difference. It can change a few things with the tune, but nothing really difficult.
Same deal with exhaust.

The thing I've always seen with Randy is that he wants a mod sheet done, then builds a tune on that. No real datalogs or updates involved. Granted if there's a big mistake he will address it. But it's for all intensive purposes a one shot deal.
If you have oodles of experience that might work well. But unless he's reviewing his work, how can you know? For that matter if something is off how can you address it? For the most part, the people putting these tunes on their cars really don't understand what's going on. So they may think abnormalities are just part of normal operation with the tune.

It's really as simple as measure twice, cut once philosophy.

The other thing is if you're selling tools and tunes, you should do your best to educate the patron on the best use of those products. Things like the datalogging software, what to datalog, why to pick those, maybe some of how to interpret the data, and the like. The better you understand what's going on, the better the tune and the quicker updates can be done.
Now I feel that if Randy did a little more of that he could cut his workload significantly.

And to be honest, when Tom started the free updates thing I figured it would set a market and the market would follow (Randy). That never materialized. Which I think is a real shame. There is saying you do the best work and there is proving it by offering free changes.

Now I am not saying anyone's tune is any better than the other. I am talking business practices only.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:26 PM   #13
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
I must say that was well put !

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 02-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #14
nboyles85737
Focus Enthusiast

iminhells post?
Old 02-05-2014, 10:28 PM   #15
paulg127
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55998
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 3 paulg127 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I don't think anyone realizes the amount of support that goes into every custom tune that Tom supports. I have a few people that I help out and just 4 or so people can wreak havok at times when someone thinks their cal is too rich, or lean or want the oil temp gauge to read air flow, it idles too fast, idles too slow, it doesn't start at 50 degrees, datalog what??.... It is a HUGE amount of work to get individual cal changes out to customers. One good thing is that he has probably seen just about any crazy thing one can come up with and have a pretty good idea of how to fix it..fast.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:42 PM   #16
nboyles85737
Focus Enthusiast

So Tom the hero? Anyways I haven't figured out how to do my data logging. But I got some info that may help
Old 02-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #17
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Seance you didnt get direct answers to these questions let me try

Quote:
Originally Posted by nboyles85737 View Post
q1: what are some key features that tom offers that randy doesnt?
1) I do full custom tuning and request that you send me a datalog so we can make it a full custom tune tailored to your driving style , mods , engine safety
2) I offer free tune updates reguardless of the NA mods you add with no hidden charges
3) I offer my datalogging services where I take over your laptop , set up the datalog list and do the first datalog like I was sitting in the car with you

Quote:
q2: how happy are you with your tune on a scale of 1 to 10?
99% Of my customers are ( 10 ) 100% happy or I work very hard to make them that way , I sent you the link or customers post about my tuning on page 1
Quote:
q3: what separates toms tune from randys? no CS reviews, no key features,
just driving the car day to day and hooning fun. after all this is what im really looking at.
I can cover these both Customer service that no other tuner offers will always get you the best tune which makes for the best , safest , daily driver

The mods you have made for your Focus will not be an issue to tune as I do custom tuning , tuners that dont like to do custom mods have to spend more time on your tune to get it right and in the end for most tuners its all about the time and money not the customer service , I can tune this for you with no problem

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks