ST1 vs. ST2 (Climate Controls and Seats)/ Sorry if Beating a Dead Horse - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
KarlW25
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 135817
What I Drive: '14 Performance Blue ST1

FF Reputation: 2 KarlW25 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ST1 vs. ST2 (Climate Controls and Seats)/ Sorry if Beating a Dead Horse

I posted this on focusst.org already, but I'll post it here anyway:

I'm getting an ST1 within the next month. But seeing as the prices between some of the ST1s and ST2s in my area are only $2k apart, I've considered moving up to the ST2 if I can. I know I'm probably beating a dead horse on the seats and I do apologize but I couldn't find an answer that fully explained everything to me.

My questions in comparing both are in regards to the climate control and seat differences. I test drove a titanium focus hatch a month ago and didn't get a chance to test out the dual-zone automatic. Can someone please explain how it works in comparison to regular(single-zone) climate control? Is it worth it or another gadget or gimmick to convince me to spend more money?

In regards to the seating, I sat in an ST3 at NAIAS '14 last month and found the bolstering of the full-leather Recaros a bit bothersome when getting in and out of the car; but once I found my positioning in the seats, it was as comfortable as a couch to me. Are the partial-leather Racaros any different in terms of comfort, feel, bolstering, upkeep and maintenance or anything else?

Karl

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,437, Level 65
Points: 9,437, Level: 65 Points: 9,437, Level: 65 Points: 9,437, Level: 65
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The ST2 Recaro seats are essentially identical to the ST3 seats minus the full leather covering, the power driver's seat track, and the heated seat pads.

The climate control in the ST2-ST3 with the dual zone climate control system is nice as you can set a specific temperature as well as using the defroster with the floor and dash vents at the same time, where as the manual dual zone can only do either the dash and the floor, or the floor and the defroster at the same time. I don't necessarily care for the automatic mode, but the complete control over the air flow is much nicer.

The Recaro seats alone retail for $2995 for the front seats, but for less than that (your around $2000 difference) you get these frankly excellent seats, the dual zone climate control, and the 10 speaker stereo with myford touch, and the 10 speaker system is much nicer than the 6 speaker stereo I had in my old 2012 Focus SEL which is the same as the ST1 speaker set up.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

Points 748, Level 14
Points: 748, Level: 14 Points: 748, Level: 14 Points: 748, Level: 14
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
I have a 12 SEL with the dual zone and a 13 ST1 with the manual control.

I do not like the automatic mode on the dual zone. Every time you start the car the fan goes to full speed then slows down as you get closer to the set point. I never use the auto mode any more. I do like the fact that you can set a temperature and it will control it. The dual zone works well and is IMHO they only real reason to have it especially if you have a significant other that is either hotter or colder than you. The single zone manual system works just fine.

The SEL and the ST1 have the same seats and they are some of the most comfortable I have experienced in my 40 years of driving. I had the same experience as you getting out of the car with recarro seats. I banged my head on the roof getting out. Every time since then that I have been in an ST with recarro seats I have either banged my head or had to twist into contortions to get out.

I have 20k miles on my ST1 and don't regret not having the recarro seats or the dual zone heat at all.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
KarlW25
Focus Enthusiast

I see. Every time I got in and out of the Recaros, I just forced my way through the bolstering if that makes sense. If the ST1 seats are anything like the base Fiesta ST cloth seats then they aren't as bad as I thought they'd be, as the ST1 and ST2 are the only STs I haven't sat in.

How's maintenance and upkeep for both the ST1 and 2?

Actually, I never thought about this until now, but the Recaros being as large as they are, do they take up space in the back?
Old 02-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
suss6052
Focus Addict

Points 9,437, Level 65
Level Up 29% Completed
Forum Activity 27%
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlW25 View Post
I see. Every time I got in and out of the Recaros, I just forced my way through the bolstering if that makes sense. If the ST1 seats are anything like the base Fiesta ST cloth seats then they aren't as bad as I thought they'd be, as the ST1 and ST2 are the only STs I haven't sat in.

How's maintenance and upkeep for both the ST1 and 2?

Actually, I never thought about this until now, but the Recaros being as large as they are, do they take up space in the back?
I don't really care much about the space behind me as I don't normally have passengers in the car, but it doesn't appear to be that bad behind me with the seat adjusted to my driving position. It wouldn't be much better with the base seats either if you're taller as the front seat tracks will slide the seat until it touches the rear seat.

The base ST seats are identical to the SE sport/ SEL / and Titanium seats with mildly aggressive bolsters. I had them in my 2012 Focus SEL and they were fine, but the Recaros feel much better.

You don't want to just smash the bolster out of the way. I found it's best to get one leg in first and then climb over the bolster rather than drag your leg through it.

The leather could probably use some conditioning from time to time, but so far other than having to clean the interior up a bit from some sun screen and possibly now from salt and winter near the carpet and doors it's been fine.

Mechanically there's no difference to the powertrain between the ST 1 2 or 3.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #6
KarlW25
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I don't really care much about the space behind me as I don't normally have passengers in the car, but it doesn't appear to be that bad behind me with the seat adjusted to my driving position. It wouldn't be much better with the base seats either if you're taller as the front seat tracks will slide the seat until it touches the rear seat.

The base ST seats are identical to the SE sport/ SEL / and Titanium seats with mildly aggressive bolsters. I had them in my 2012 Focus SEL and they were fine, but the Recaros feel much better.

You don't want to just smash the bolster out of the way. I found it's best to get one leg in first and then climb over the bolster rather than drag your leg through it.

The leather could probably use some conditioning from time to time, but so far other than having to clean the interior up a bit from some sun screen and possibly now from salt and winter near the carpet and doors it's been fine.

Mechanically there's no difference to the powertrain between the ST 1 2 or 3.
Ok Fantastic!

Normally I drive by myself or have one passenger, but in the summer, there can be up to 5 people in my car at one time so all the extra space really does help!

Besides my Dad's '74 911, no one has had a car with leather seats in my house. Those seats were poorly taken care of(sadly ) and the bolsters on the drivers seat is torn and taped to hell.That kinda painted an image of what my leather seats could be.

They kinda look like this(nowhere near as nice looking though... :( ):

I guess the bolstering in the ST1 seats would look and feel similar to the 911s seats that I'm already used to; albeit not being leather...

What exactly does the automatic mode exactly do?
Old 02-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #7
suss6052
Focus Addict

Points 9,437, Level 65
Level Up 29% Completed
Forum Activity 27%
Quote:
Ok Fantastic!

Normally I drive by myself or have one passenger, but in the summer, there can be up to 5 people in my car at one time so all the extra space really does help!

Besides my Dad's '74 911, no one has had a car with leather seats in my house. Those seats were poorly taken care of(sadly ) and the bolsters on the drivers seat is torn and taped to hell.That kinda painted an image of what my leather seats could be.

They kinda look like this(nowhere near as nice looking though... :( ):
[IMG]http://blog.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads//2012/09/1974Porsche911S_03_700.jpg[IMG]

I guess the bolstering in the ST1 seats would look and feel similar to the 911s seats that I'm already used to; albeit not being leather...

What exactly does the automatic mode exactly do?
From the owners guide:
Quote:
AUTO: Press to select automatic operation. The system automatically controls the temperature, amount and distribution of the airflow to reach and maintain your previously selected temperature.
Basically it turns the fan on full right after turning the car on, trying to reach the temperature as soon as possible rather than maintaining a suitable fan curve and ramping up slower, it also selects the vent and recirculation settings for you. It is still less frustrating than the manual system which doesn't have the same level of control, despite being an electronic climate control that looks like an analog system.

Usually I leave the fan control on automatic but with the vent selection on manual selection especially in winter with floor+vent+defrost

Obviously if you take care of the seats they will last in better shape than the ones in the old 911.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #8
KarlW25
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
From the owners guide:

Basically it turns the fan on full right after turning the car on, trying to reach the temperature as soon as possible rather than maintaining a suitable fan curve and ramping up slower, it also selects the vent and recirculation settings for you. It is still less frustrating than the manual system which doesn't have the same level of control, despite being an electronic climate control that looks like an analog system.

Usually I leave the fan control on automatic but with the vent selection on manual selection especially in winter with floor+vent+defrost

Obviously if you take care of the seats they will last in better shape than the ones in the old 911.
Fantastic! I want an ST2 then! Question though. I see that you are also in MI? do you drive your ST in the winter? what tires do you use if you do? I plan on using only one wheel/tire setup because I've got no other place to place a set of steelies.

My Dad's biased as hell when it comes to tires and because he's from Akron, we want Goodyear All-seasons, could we purchase a car and have the dealer install a different set of tires at the same tme?

these are the tires in question either the Eagle F1s or Eagle GT:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....T&autoModClar=

Old 02-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #9
suss6052
Focus Addict

Points 9,437, Level 65
Level Up 29% Completed
Forum Activity 27%
Quote:
Fantastic! I want an ST2 then! Question though. I see that you are also in MI? do you drive your ST in the winter? what tires do you use if you do? I plan on using only one wheel/tire setup because I've got no other place to place a set of steelies.

My Dad's biased as hell when it comes to tires and because he's from Akron, we want Goodyear All-seasons, could we purchase a car and have the dealer install a different set of tires at the same tme?

these are the tires in question either the Eagle F1s or Eagle GT:

I have two sets of wheels, since I had bought a set of 17" wheels for my last Focus, but they had the Continental Contiprocontact all seasons on them which aren't ideal really.

I do drive the Focus ST in the winter out of necessity, but I do also have a winter beater as well.

It's not ideal to run all season tires in the winter, but at least when new and with sufficient tread on them they would grip better than the standard summer only rubber.

I'm sure you could work a deal out with the dealer to change the tires before the sale, mind you it would probably still cost you some money, but if you really can't deal with storing a second set of wheels then that would have to do.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:49 PM   #10
KarlW25
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
I have two sets of wheels, since I had bought a set of 17" wheels for my last Focus, but they had the Continental Contiprocontact all seasons on them which aren't ideal really.

I do drive the Focus ST in the winter out of necessity, but I do also have a winter beater as well.

It's not ideal to run all season tires in the winter, but at least when new and with sufficient tread on them they would grip better than the standard summer only rubber.

I'm sure you could work a deal out with the dealer to change the tires before the sale, mind you it would probably still cost you some money, but if you really can't deal with storing a second set of wheels then that would have to do.
Well it's also because If I get the ST within the next month or sooner, I've heard that it's a bad idea to run a summer performance tire in weather blelow 40 degrees. So figured that all seasons would be the best of both worlds and save some money. If not, I reckon I could force some space in my garage. Is it better to go with smaller wheels in the winter or stick with the same size?

Also thank you for all the help! I noticed you replied on focusst.org too!
It's also fantastic that the help is coming from someone who knows the Michigan weather too haha!

Bookmarks & Social Networks