MAF sensor problem? Race intake, open hood, suggestions? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-07-2005, 05:39 PM   #1
mattymaddog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 18752
What I Drive: 2004 Liquid Grey ZX3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 1 mattymaddog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
MAF sensor problem? Race intake, open hood, suggestions?

Hi everyone, I have an 04 ZX3 2.3 L duratec...only performance mods are FocusSport Cool Flo Race Intake and Exhaust. I have Cervini's Mach 5 hood which has 2 slots in it open allowing environmental elements to get under my hood. I recently had a check engine light and my car kept stalling and hesitating while accelerating. Ford's diagnostic is the MAF sensor, before I put the splash guard on to make sure filter was covered car had some hesitation but never stalled...splash guard has now been on for like 3 months of the 6 or 7 that the intake was on. Hood just as long. Did my MAF sensor get messed up because of moisture that was sucked in or that may have hit the wire that could have seen water/snow through the hood? If anyone knows anything about MAF Sensors please advice...should I buy new MAF sensor from ford...swap to another one for the 3" race intake, take MAF wire and housing out to see if there's a visible problem (keep in mind I know very little about anything mechanical)...Please give any advise you guys all seem like you know what you're talking about?

thanks much,
Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2005, 06:02 PM   #2
fokuzx3
teh tranny killer

Fan#: 15685
What I Drive: r.i.p. liquid grey zx3....now 300zx

FF Reputation: 1 fokuzx3 Good Standing Member
lol race intake??
zetec crew #23
zetec R.I.P. best standing 1/4 time= 15.260 @88.08 mph (2.275 60)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warneej View Post
it takes a minute to get used to, kinda like shaving your balls.. haha
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2005, 06:13 PM   #3
mattymaddog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

ha

Well that's what they call it...part name...And it Does SIGNIFICANTLY improve the performance and pickup for $190 plus an hour or two of taking out annoying different sized screws from stock intake. My car pisses on most non turbo non 8 cyl cars, even kept up with a 1.8T when he was racing and i was only in 2nd gear not 1st. Laugh all u want but if your not gonna help then u don't need to post.
l8r
Old 02-07-2005, 06:17 PM   #4
jerryzx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9236
What I Drive: 2001 sangria red zx3 zetec

FF Reputation: 1 jerryzx3 Good Standing Member
is it under warranty and they won't fix it because of the filter?
Old 02-07-2005, 06:29 PM   #5
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Clean the MAF sensor.

A little moisture shouldn't cause any permanent issues.

This stuff works great.
$5 at Autozone

Old 02-07-2005, 06:34 PM   #6
mattymaddog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

thanks

you guys are great...yes it is under warranty but ford says they won't touch the MAF unless I put the stock intake box back in then they could do something...i'm not in a place to argue b/c i put it in myself didn't even have a mechanic or ford put it in. So those chemicals will help clean and dry the MAF sensor...is it inside the housing , do i need to take anything apart in order to use that stuff...i'm basically illiterate to this kind of stuff.

thanks alot,
Matt
Old 02-07-2005, 06:46 PM   #7
waterboy

Fan#: 2258
What I Drive: 2k SPI-T, with Lentech automatic stuff on it

FF Reputation: 1 waterboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Matt:

Get the CRC cleaner pictured, unplug and unclamp the MAF, and spray like a madman. Well, sorta. Since the CRC dries "clean", there is no need to try to clean it further. Dirt can cause hesitation, but my bet is there is an airleak somewhere past the MAF that is the culprit. After you clean the MAF and reinstall it, take some of the cleaner while the car is running and spray it around the fittings that connect the MAF and piping, under the MAF where it screws to the plate, and at the TB connection. If your car hesitates more or completely dies, there is your problem. Correct the leak and you should be golden.

I also have the Cervini hood and have never had a MAF issue. Just my .02, but there it is.

Jim
Old 02-07-2005, 10:25 PM   #8
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
I'm with waterboy.
After cleaning the MAF, make sure your clamps are in the proper locations and fastened securely. Leaks are bad.

Also unplug your battery for about 15 minutes to reset the EEC-V/computer.
**This will cause the trip odometer to reset and any radio settings to clear.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:28 PM   #9
jerryzx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9236
What I Drive: 2001 sangria red zx3 zetec

FF Reputation: 1 jerryzx3 Good Standing Member
and if you still have problems put the stock box back on and take it in.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:42 PM   #10
mattymaddog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

emergency...heres situation and my thoughts

so coming back from ford in decent temperature...the car ran fine no hesitation check engine on...no work done to it...get the crc wire cleaner...take the cold air apart and MAF...which had dirty brown water in it....rusty water from the moisture that was built up in intake from not having splash guard on in summer time...i think dirty snow being thrown up under my hood...settled in this black gasket that goes above the MAF where the chrome 3" intake attaches to on the top. well 3 hours later...at 9:00 start it up..no check engine for like 15 or 20 mins but car hesitation lurching...like it has hydraulics on it...until it gets up to about 3500 rpms....then it takes off as normal no hesitation....

symptoms are the same as in my 79 trans am when it had a carb prob..the butterfly opened up too much which wasn't a problem when it was warm out...but in the winter time it needed to be almost all the way closed...it would open up and let in too much cold air and stall out...when i did keep it running after it warmed up a bit...it would lurch and put like it didn't wanna go and was ready to stall. ...this was exactly how my car acted today..my theory for it not having any problems after3500 rpms is that at that point the white butterfly that I believe the throttle body controls...the spring right where the intake hits the engine, opening it up all the way didn't matter because it could use all the air it was letting in.

So the cleaner didn't do anything, maybe I just need to buy a New MAF ..focus sport says ford sells them cheap like 15 dollars he said... but i believe it will be more in the neighborhood of 60. Maybe the MAF is malfunctioning and not operating right in cold weather anymore if it got real wet or dirty or rusty possibly.

If I buy a new MAF sensor will the old one just pop out of the MAF housing???

Please any advice on what I thought about the situation...it definately seems like the air problem i postulated. the diagnostic turned out to be the MAF sensor...or just the MAF not sure what ford said.?

thanks Matt

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.