air filter question - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: What Should I Do
Make my own 2 16.67%
CAI 5 41.67%
Short ram 4 33.33%
Stock w/ k&n 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2005, 12:10 AM   #1
cjmartinyZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17617
What I Drive: 01 black zx3

FF Reputation: 2 cjmartinyZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
air filter question

i have a question about the air filter. what would be the best cone air filter that i can pick up at just about any parts store? is there one that would fit on the end of the stock air tube(before the maf but after the air box.) i am also thinking of makeing my own air box out of plastic and sealing it. i was thinking that i will use the stock intake from the front of the car and move it down by the driver fog light to get really cold air. or do you all think that a aem cai will work better. i feel that if i am going down the road it should seem sort of like ram air right?(the materials to make my own would be free all i would need is a cone filter.) thanx for all of your input!!!!

i am also trying to get a few wheel ponies to help me scoot around town a lil faster.

plus my stock air box is busted up pretty good i need to replace it or but an intake. if that means anything to you?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2005, 01:47 AM   #2
macZTS
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 18417
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZTS 100 Anniversary edition

FF Reputation: 1 macZTS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just ordered a K&N filter, it's not an intake, but should be an improvement. It sure is in my 1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:09 AM   #3
Turtle
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 10715
What I Drive: 2011 Dodge Charger, 70 Olds Cutlass

FF Reputation: 1 Turtle Good Standing Member
This issue has been beat to death.

*sigh*

Okay, the easiest and cheapest way to go is just to rip out the stock airbox and clamp on a cone filter. Voila, instant short-ram intake.

the stock airbox with a K&N filter will see very marginal increases in airflow. not worth it. if you're looking to go cheap and easy, get a hooker. I mean, do what I said above.

The best bet, performance-wise, is to save up and buy a decent intake. The Volant used to be the hands-down favorite amongst most of us, but the Pipercross is quickly gaining popularity. Neither of these is cheap, but I would advise either of these over the AEM or similar CAI.

Personally, I went with the El Cheapo cone filter and the ghetto short ram. I will probably buy a Pipercross in the near future.

BTW, if this is the only upgrade you have done to your car, you probably won't notice the 2-3 whp that you might gain. However, it will sound a WHOLE LOT better, and that will make it a lot more fun to drive. you may notice that the throttle response feels a bit better.
3. The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.

It takes a real man to wear a kilt.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:31 AM   #4
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
I voted CAI. Your going to get better gains from a TRUE aftermarket intake then a home made one. Also, I would go with a VOLANT or PIPERCROSS before going with an AEM myself. They have alot more benefits over a AEM.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:22 AM   #5
Muy_Pyro
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 17723
What I Drive: '01, Yellow, ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Muy_Pyro Good Standing Member
If you're using this as a year round driver (like me) and live in Michigan (like me) then you might seriously want to consider a short ram... The true CAI are low to the ground and in the kind of weather we have this time of year, your cone is going to get really dirty really quick! Not to mention your going to suck up a lot of water on these nice roads we have around here. My suggestion would be to find a used Short Ram, IceMan, or Volant and keep the cone UP. Check out either Ebay, or the "Marketplace" on here. You might loose 1-2hp, but it's better than getting water-logged, or buying/cleaning your filter every other day. Besides, I doubt you'll notice the 1-2hp anywho.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:32 AM   #6
S2
Retired Fanatic

Instead of a short ram, get a VOLANT or PIPERCROSS. They are designed like a short ram but work like a CAI.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:40 PM   #7
zslaton
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11347
What I Drive: 2002 Yellow Power Premium ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 zslaton Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I voted CAI... recommend Volant. Easily the most popular, non-cheapo intake that produces real results.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:56 PM   #8
cope1027
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11265
What I Drive: Black 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 cope1027 Good Standing Member
volant.....volant.....volant
Volant intake, 65mm TB, 2000 ported intake, Port&Polished 10:9:1 FocalTech head, FR Stg 2 cams, FS cam gears, UDP, FC 4-2-1 header, flex pipe, o2 cheater. NO CAT. MBRP catback, 9mm wires, 19lb FR injectors,
heat index 3 Iridium plugs, DS chip.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:39 PM   #9
cjmartinyZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17617
What I Drive: 01 black zx3

FF Reputation: 2 cjmartinyZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
thanx everyone now i have a tough choice to decide volant or the pipercross but thanks again
Old 02-08-2005, 08:47 AM   #10
S2
Retired Fanatic

Both are very good and you will be happy with either.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.