Because racecar project - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-10-2014, 04:55 AM   #51
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I tried pulling the HVAC unit out although it did come out, it only came out a inch or so I didn't feel like wrestling with it to figure it out. Its just been too cold. Lol

This spring ill really start taking things apart and putting things back together.

I still haven't looked at the engine to see its size. Its got 210k on it.

I was discussing with my wife today, how many $650 cars out there could you buy and not need anything. I can't say it enough the car runs and drives like its brand new. Absolutely amazing in the snow, I daily it, I've done two couple hour road trips in it.

I wouldn't be afraid to just jump in it and drive to California tomorrow. I really applauded Subaru for such a well built car. I will definitely be looking for a newer Impreza/ legacy when I get rid of my next car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 05:09 AM   #52
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Subaru is the Toyota of AWD cars lol

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 02-10-2014, 05:15 AM   #53
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

A fun pic from the other day when we got about 4 inches of snow in a few hours. I got a video too but don't have the WiFi to get it off my phone.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #54
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

I finally checked the engine code. I'm glad to see its a 2.2

Old 02-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #55
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
That's proof! (grin)

Project sounds like great fun, cheap beater that's a blast as is - and you can do anything you want with it! No worries - no great loss if it breaks.

I was surprised to learn of problems with recent Subies (head gasket), they were always beat 'em into the ground cars. Run it 'till the body breaks from rust.

One buddy did just that years ago. When it was ready to give up, took it out in the fields and beat on it 'till it broke. Then blew it up "Duck Commander" style. That "redneck" fun was around long before it made it to TV.

(Grin)

S.R. #275

Old 02-11-2014, 02:33 AM   #56
mechanizeddeath
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 135913
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Metallic SE

FF Reputation: 1 mechanizeddeath Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
That's proof! (grin)

Project sounds like great fun, cheap beater that's a blast as is - and you can do anything you want with it! No worries - no great loss if it breaks.

I was surprised to learn of problems with recent Subies (head gasket), they were always beat 'em into the ground cars. Run it 'till the body breaks from rust.

One buddy did just that years ago. When it was ready to give up, took it out in the fields and beat on it 'till it broke. Then blew it up "Duck Commander" style. That "redneck" fun was around long before it made it to TV.

(Grin)
This was pretty much the standard way to put them out to pasture back in the day. I became a Subaru owner after I saw a friend do this, he was shifting into reverse at highway speeds and jumping curbs and just basically being an idiot. The car just kept enduring abuse despite the fact that it was so perforated by rust it was unsafe to drive.

He finally crashed it into a tree on purpose and then lit it on fire when it refused to die. The remains of that car were still sitting in that woods up until a couple years ago when the area was sold and then cleared to make room for a housing development. I have a feeling if you gave the engine fuel and spark it still would have fired right up. lol

The gasket debacle was unfortunate. It was a dark period for an otherwise very reliable brand. Subaru of America could have stepped up to the plate and covered all head gasket problems but unfortunately they didn't and a lot of loyal owners were stuck with massive repair bills.

I'd still buy one, except they hold their value almost too well... The money I spent on my looks-like-new 2012 Focus would only get me a 10-12 year old Subaru with 100-150k miles. It's ridiculous.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:00 AM   #57
mechanizeddeath
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 135913
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Metallic SE

FF Reputation: 1 mechanizeddeath Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post
I tried pulling the HVAC unit out although it did come out, it only came out a inch or so I didn't feel like wrestling with it to figure it out. Its just been too cold. Lol
I think there's a cable linkage that needs to be unclipped near the firewall on the passenger side in order to pull it out all the way, but I might be thinking of the Legacy. All Subaru models are so similar I constantly get them confused when thinking of how to fix things. All I remember was the clip being extremely sharp and making me bleed, but I can't remember if it was a Legacy, Impreza, or even a Forester. Now that I think about it, I believe I fixed this on more than one car lol...

Glad to see it's an EJ22. Not that the EJ18 is a bad engine, it isn't and in fact it's basically the same, but from memory the 1.8 had something like 105-110 horsepower which was fine in the early to mid 90s but can make it a bit scary in modern traffic. Even minivans would be riding your butt, because it's 2014 and minivans inexplicably have almost 300 horsepower.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #58
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Subaru is down for the moment, well for night drives at least. Lol

Monday night I realized it had no tail lights or license plate lights after work. I used my flash light to give me at least one tail light, in hopes to deter cops from pulling me over for the trip home. Luckily I did my weekly walk around to make sure all my lights work. (Huge pet pev of mine)

Fuse was good so not really sure what's going on.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:46 PM   #59
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Still having problems with the light? Hopefully it's a easy fix.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 03-20-2014, 02:03 AM   #60
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

I haven't messed with it yet since I posted on fb. I just remembered I hadn't updated this yet. Im working 7 days a week and can only work on it at night.

I'm going to need to barrow my mother in-laws garage to get it done.

Bookmarks & Social Networks