SVT owners: Post reviews of your Tune! - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-31-2005, 10:24 PM   #21
Emnodrap
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 2656
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Emnodrap Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Toms the S#%$!!!

1. Tom Sr. focus-power.com
2. Diablo Predator with Tom's magical touch.
3. 523.00 (should have been 548.00 but Tom covered part of the overnight to TEXAS!!!
4. 24 hours
5. Totally different feel. The torque down low is awesome! The power is seamless now, no dips or lags can be felt from 1000 all the way to redline. The useable torque is a godsend! Tom why didnt ford have you help write the ECU for this car??? Anyway I guess we'll never know.
6. Install went great Tom answerd all questions I had prior to install. This guy is awsome, after I tried to put factory tune in to show friend the power difference i erased Toms custom tune. He emailed me the same one the next day and now everything is gravy baby!
7. Will post link as soon as I get a chance to dyno!

Diablo Tuned by Tom, AEM CAI, Ford Racing STS, Hoen Fogs, Silverstar Head lamps, Denso Iridium Plugs, MSD coils & wires, HKS HI-Power exhaust and VF engineering rear mount
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2005, 05:51 PM   #22
RecoilRob
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21404
What I Drive: 04, CD Silver SVTF

Points 542, Level 10
Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 8 RecoilRob Good Standing Member
1. Focus Sport www.focussport.com
2. SCT X-Calibrator
3. $325 w/2 tunes
4. 3 weeks
5. I found the install went like everyone else using the X-Calibrator. About 10 minutes to suck the original program and 8 to upload the new one. First impression on startup was the much quicker start without the high revs. Settled right down to 900 in a couple of seconds. After letting it idle for a few minutes to let the car get acquainted with the new program, we went for a ride. Very nice! Throttle response and torque much improved but it seemed the intake and exhaust were quieter than before. At least at normal cruise. When cranking on it the power builds nicely and is stronger all through the rev band. The 'camminess' of the stock program is gone but only because the much improved low end makes the transition to the big power much smoother. Most dramatic change that I can definitively measure is the gas mileage. On the last 3 tanks it has improved from an average of 30 to 33mpg in my normal commute. Not bad at all!
6. My transaction with Randy and FS was done on the web and I have had no reason to contact him other than to say thanks for a job well done.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:58 PM   #23
04EuroSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5522
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver EURO SVT 5Dr

FF Reputation: 1 04EuroSVT Good Standing Member
1. Tom
2. Predator
3. $525
4. 3 days
5. Power is noticably better T/C totally disabled by switch
6. Shipping was very slow. Tom was sorta tough to get in touch with
7. N/A

Most importantly...money well spent.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:14 PM   #24
sidney61199
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7904
What I Drive: 2002 Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 sidney61199 Good Standing Member
1. WHO you got your tune from: Tom http://www.focus-power.com/view.php?showme=Home
2. List what flasher your tune came with: Predator http://www.diablosport.com/U7144.php
3. How much? : $515 (tune=$100 Predator=$395 Shipping=$20)
4. How long have you had the tune : About two months
5. Give a review of your tune : Drives better/More Power through all six gears/Starts better/Easyer to launch or get going/All around more enjoyable to drive.
6. Give a review of your tuner : Talked to Tom and said I wanted it, paid him, received it in about three days. What more could you want?

You have to look at it that you are buying two diffrent things when you buy from Tom. The tune which is only $100 and then the $395 predator. Together it seems a little expensive but when you break it down that you are paying for two diffrent things then it dosn't seem all that much. Both items are worth the money and the Predator is cool as hell with the data logging, live data streaming, code reading, code clearing, etc... In my opinion alot better than a box with blinking lights.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:43 PM   #25
essveetee
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1529
What I Drive: 2006 WRX 1984 VW Scirocco

FF Reputation: 1 essveetee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
1. Wayne Foy, Hypnotic Illusions Automotive: http://www.hypillauto.com/

2. SCT Xcalibrator

3. $345 shipped

4. Couple days

5. The tune is simply awesome! No more high cold-start idle, absolutely no more surging/stuttering at any RPM. The lower/midrange is now nice and meaty. I can safely drive shifting at 3k without getting run over by traffic. The raised redline (7600 RPM) is also nice, especially since the power never tapers off. Alot more usable power...after a shift, you are right back in the powerband and the DSI has never closed. The DSI brings me to another comment: it sounds awesome now. Previously, you could slightly hear when it actuated at 5k RPM. Now, it literally roars when you pass 5k at WOT. Overall, I'm very pleased..IMO this is how the SVT should have come from the factory!

6. Wayne is easily the best Focus tuner I have dealt with. Actually, he rivals many of the VW tuners I've dealt with over the years...which speaks volumes about Wayne's work ethic and character. Awesome guy to deal with!

7. No dynos (yet)
Old 04-10-2005, 07:09 AM   #26
Sonic04SVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8295
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Sonic04SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
1) Randy at www.focussport.com, I got the Pro-Racer package but had him do an optimized tune for 91 octane (PR is for FI later on)
2) SCT Xcalibrator
3) I purchased the pro racer (so I can make my own tunes once I go FI and comes with the raptor datalogger), think it was $800.
4) About a month
5) First flash took a while, around 15minutes because it downloads your factory tune. Did not have to pull any fuses even though my car is a EAP car. After that car started right up, idle fell fast, I backed out of the garage and took off. I immediately noticed more low end grunt, there was no more surging (I only had surges when cold before) and also noticed that the car pulled a lot better in the midrange as well. I also noticed the DSI switch over sound at 5300 more then I did when it was at 5000RPM. I turned my traction control off, it now went fully off without the ABS intrusion under acceleration and also noticed that ABS still worked fine during braking. I then turned it back on and found the ABS was still part of the TC but only when turned ON (like it should have been from the factory). Overall very pleased, I did the Steeda SR right after the tune, the tune was by far the most noticeable between the two. Between the tune and the SR I have also gained 2mpg average the past 4 tanks of gas.
6) Randy answered every question I had, and continues to work with me on the questions I have had with the Pro-Racer package.
7) Keep in mind this is a 91 octane tune, not 93 like a lot of folks are getting and able to run. Also it might look like I lost torque down low but there are a few reasons it probably looks like this.

For one I also did the Steeda SR between these dyno's, with my stock airbox I was forcing the car to only ingest air from the front intake scoop near the radiator (cooler air temps there vs the side vent was my reasoning). But this also means my entire intake duct work was also ~2ft or so longer which could have helped low end power. However I still think the car launches easier now then it did pretune/preSR, and feels like it pulls the same from 2500RPM-3000RPM as it used to from 3000RPM-3500RPM (there always seemed to be a lull in the powerband up to 3000RPM with the stock tune, then there was a power surge, now it seems like it starts at 2500RPM).

Second, they started my new run at ~3100RPM instead of 2200RPM like last time (dyno was very busy that day). It takes a bit before the ECU fully switches over to WOT and gets things going, which could explain why the numbers start out lower, especially with our VCT. I wish they had started at 2200RPM like before, but they were having tach issues with my car so I didn't notice they were starting so late till after they were done.

And lastly, they had some major issues with my car's tach reading that day. I made 4 runs and this was the only one the tach did not freak out on. My best (3rd) run was actually 155.5whp, but I use the 154.4whp for showing because the tach worked on it. The torque would have obviously been better on the 155.5whp run as well, and the run I am showing was only after a few minutes of cooldown from the 3rd run.

Look at that flat Air/Fuel curve....he nailed it dead on which I did not expect long distance. I was actually hoping I could improve upon it, but there is no sense in doing so when you average 13.15 (NA you shoot for 13.1-13.2)
Old 04-11-2005, 08:46 PM   #27
gukin
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12777
What I Drive: 2003 Orange SVTF

Points 1,704, Level 24
Points: 1,704, Level: 24 Points: 1,704, Level: 24 Points: 1,704, Level: 24
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 gukin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
1. Hypnotic's tune
2. SCT Xcalibrator.
3. $345.
4. 8 days, Wayne needed to order some cables. then 10 minutes.

I'm not going to go into the passionate stuff, it's already been said, I'll Focus (ha ha) on some issues I'm seeing and, to me, the strongest features of the tune.

Issues: First, I'm one of Wayne's few customers at altitude and, therefore, he needs to guess a bit to on our tunes. That said, I sometimes experience some difficulty in cold starts, the car starts then struggles around between 500-800 RPM, until I can get the revs above 1000 RPM, my engine isn't much good. This lasts for 10-15 seconds or so, not really a big problem. Second, there is some light surging betwen 1500 and 2500 RPM when transitioning from cold to warmed up; it's barely noticable but it is there. (NO THREADS ABOUT SCT TUNES SURGING PLEASE!) Third issues is I occasionally hear some light detonation . This is quite infrequent and may be due to the quality of gas Costco purchases, I haven't experienced it with Sam's Club gas; note that at altitude, the highest grade available I've found is 91.

Okay now on to the good: my favorite thing about the tune is the reaction when I step on the gas. With the stock tune, the engine would seem to need to "spin up" before anything happened. With Wayne's tune, the power is ready and on tap as soon as I step on the gas. I suspect that this "readiness" exaggerates the surge I feel.

Next the low end power is greatly enhanced, launching is trivially easy now, no more having to bounce the accelerator to prevent the dreaded bog. The engine really pulls from 2000 and up with a very pleasant kick around 5000 RPM.

My car is now quieter than before. With the stock tune, pressing on the gas usually generated a "raspy" note similar to a 125 motocrosser engine but with little results until the revs got above 4000 RPM. With Waynes tune the above 4000 RPM sound is throughout the power band, the car SOUNDS better because it's RUNNING better. The rest of the time, the engine is properly fed and controlled so it's running quitely and efficiently. One thing nobody has mentioned, is with the tune, there isn't really a reason to shut off the AC compressor, there is plenty of power to keep the AC running as well as get the car off the line; the days of bogging down to 1000 RPM while Spectras and Accents race away is over

My mileage hasn't improved too much, I used to get 26-28 miles/gallon, so far I've seen 28 and 29 over the two tanks of gas I've run through.

Support and equipment: Wayne supplies the programmer, cable from the programmer to the OBD port, the cable from the programmer to the PC with AC adapter. Everything needed to program the car and, if needed, upload new tunes to the Xcalibrator, nothing else is necessary. I e-mailed Wayne about the surging and he sent me a tune he's working on, it was very smooth but didn't not deliver the power that his stock tune delivers; I returned to his original tune after a few days.

Wayne supports his customers for six months following the original tune and is considering a $75/year support contract after the six months is up.

Summary: The SVT focus must be quite a difficult car to "get right", Ford didn't get it right with their original tune, didn't get it right with YRF0 either. It's a pity too, the SVTF is a great car with a crippled tune and a too-short lifespan. It's good for the tuners like Wayne who provide an excellent product at a reasonable cost but shame on Ford for forcing SVT owners to have to resort to tuners to get their cars to run right.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:56 PM   #28
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
1) Hypnotic Illusions Automotive - Wayne.

2) SCT XCalibrator.

3) $345 plus $5 overnite shipping (split the $10 charge with Wayne).

4) 4 Days.

5) Install: Tune installed without any problems per the detailed instructions provided.

First Impressions: I can not stress how much this improved the low-end and mid-range power.
Nothing short of phenomenal. I find myself running one gear higher than I used to for the most part.
You have to "hold the reigns back" so to speak, on the engine as it revs SO much freer now.
Very impressive.

Drivability: My car with the factory tune did not exhibit the problems most have had,
except for very slight surging between 2,500 and 3,500 rpm.
What surging that was there, is most definitely gone now.....non-existentů.smooth as silk.
I don't know how much the gas mileage has increased, but upon first impressions,
it will be by a measurable amount, which is a great bonus, considering the power gains.
I keep good records, so I'll provide an update once I get a few tanks under my belt.

Issues: The TC defeat feature is not working for my car.
Wayne is trying to get it figured out.
It doesn't sound like anyone else has had this problem.
I will keep you updated with what he finds out.
I'm also still in need of the cable and power supply for the PC hookup,
since he was out of them at the time I placed my order.

6) Wayne is a great guy to deal with. Most enjoyable to talk to on the phone,
very willing to answer any questions, and provide any information you may need.
I have no reason to suspect otherwise, that the follow-on support will be as stellar as the intial support.
Thanks, Wayne.
BTW, I also received a cool T-shirt and SCT emblem in my package. Nice!

7) No dyno, and highly doubtful to even get one in this state.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:09 PM   #29
Dathlok X
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14636
What I Drive: 2003 SVTF Eurotrash Edition

FF Reputation: 1 Dathlok X Good Standing Member
1) Turbo-Tom.

2) Diablosport Predator.

3) $515.

4) About 15 Minutes, and wow.

5) Install: Tune installed without any problems. The instructions , and on screen prompts provided were adequate.

So far, I noticed the T/C switch is working as intended.
Also stoplight launches should go alot more smoothly as well.. will update if the thing give me any problems.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:58 PM   #30
electric turd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8195
What I Drive: 02' Infra-red Svt

FF Reputation: 1 electric turd Good Standing Member
1. Myfordperformance.com then Tom's tune
2.Diablo Predator
3.$399.99 for diablo then $150.00 form Tom's
4.Diablo a week, Tom's 2 days
5.The standard predator tune was pretty good suprisingly but I wasn't completely happy until I purchased Tom's tune then my car came alive with something I didn't think that it had in her. The power all around is very impressive and very smooth and natural, Tom set my idle at ~1,000 rpm and did some other things for me and its so amzingly worth it, words cant describe the difference in the whole car now. JUST DO IT!!!
6.Tom has the best service I think I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Fast email response and willing to go out of his way to help, we need more people like him. THANKS TOM!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.