SVT owners: Post reviews of your Tune! - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-20-2008, 01:54 AM   #81
FriendlyFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48770
What I Drive: 2004 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 FriendlyFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Tom @ Focus-power
Diablo Predator
$530 for programmer and Tom's tune
Had it in since Sept 07
Just the tune alone took .6ths off my 1/4 mile time!
I had to call Tom twice, he had taken a vacation. I can understand that though
I don't know for sure about dyno cause i recently added 1.5K worth of mods

The most bang for the buck so far. A must for anyone just starting out. The tuning possiblilties are endless, but Tom nailed it I believe. Very consistant times out at the track. I'm not real big on Honda's and they all hate me cause I destroy them all w/ no problems after the tune. If you don't believe check out
http://www.dragtimes.com/Ford-Focus-Timeslip-13757.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2008, 08:08 PM   #82
Z0mbi3SVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54143
What I Drive: 2003 Infa-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Z0mbi3SVT Good Standing Member
Tom - focus power
Predator
2 weeks
15 minutes maybe. You can feel a little more power in the 2-3 grand range in all gears, the stuttering start is virtually gone, you'll chirp your tires allot, the exhaust does get deeper,gas mileage tbd, revs drop quicker. Overall not to bad i've had the tune less than a week.
Tom has done me proud - TY Tom its really improved the ride.
No dyno I need to find one though
Shifter counter weight removal - for now
Build # 898
Old 07-24-2008, 08:19 AM   #83
Stuff03
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 51242
What I Drive: 2003 Yellow SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Stuff03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
- Tom - Focus Power
- Diablo Sport Predator
- $407.00
- 1 Day

- Took about 20 minutes to install, very very easy! Noticed a difference right away, driving around town is a lot more fun. It doesn't feel like you really have to make the car work just to go from 0 - 40 mph anymore, its very smooth and you can really feel the power. The DSI kicks in at about 5500rpm now so that really helps in the top end. Plus it fixes all the bull crap that came with the factory tune... no more surging, no bog, no dipping or hanging rpm's. Overall I am extremely happy.

My only complaint is... Tom does only custom tunes... but when I received it, it didn't have a custom feel... No packing list or anything that said that this tuner was programed for me... even a simple post-it note stuck to the face of the tuner saying what mods this tune was programed for would of made it have a custom feel. Thats just me though, I'm extremely picky!

Overall I'm very happy A+ to Tom!

03 Yellow SVTF #2865

Last edited by Stuff03; 08-20-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:59 AM   #84
jrentas
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 57220
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver SVT ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 jrentas Good Standing Member
- Tom - Focus-Power.com
- Diablosport Predator
- 408.65 - But i think it's priceless
- ordered on the 30th recieved on the fourth
- Takes 10 minutes to read stock tune and 5 to load custom tune.
- If you are not getting you tune from tom you are doing your Focus and injustice. idles around 900 when the hanging revs are not present. provides more power and the power is balanced. This really is what the car should have been like with the factory tune. Thanks to tom this car really is more fun to drive!!. Tom is very professional with the transaction and delivery of the product. He is most certainly an asset to the community !!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #85
huey27
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 55387
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-Red SVT #4188 of 4788

FF Reputation: 1 huey27 Good Standing Member
Tune

1. Tom, the focus god.
2. Tom's tune, Diablosport Predator
3. $406.85
4. 5 days
5. The tune is easier to install if your battery is charged!!! MBRP Exhaust sounds even better! No Lag! Revs dont hang, idle is right about 1000, full power range feels better, more fun to drive now that it is drivable, lol. Best thing money can buy for the SVT.
6. Tom was very helpful with my pre-purchase questions, shipping was much faster than anticipated (6 days i believe)
7. N/A
2002 Infra-red SVT Focus. #4188/4788
Arlington, WA
Old 12-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #86
xryan85X
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52189
What I Drive: 02 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 19 xryan85X Great Standing Member
1. I got the tune from focus power, toms tune.
2. Predator
3. ~$410
4. I've had the tune installed for 2 months

5. Well, the tune took about a month to get to me from the date I paid for it(paypal). After a long wait I was excited to get the tune. So the day it got in I installed it in my car. From reading other reviews I thought it would be a breeze, but it wasn't. It took about an hour and a half to save my original tune and load the custom tune. It failed twice to backup the factory tune. On the 3rd try it worked, after that it took maybe 10 minutes to load the custom tune. I was starting to get VERY worried, but like I said, eventually it loaded.

After the tune loaded I started the car and the exhaust note was much different, it was a little more smooth and not as raspy. When I took it for a spin I was dissapointed, it didn't seem like much had changed besides the DSI kicking in around 5500rpms. That being said, 2 months after I loaded it I'm VERY happy I did. From 3k rpms up the car pulls much harder. You can easily bark the tires shifting into 2nd gear when you're on it. Cold starts are nearly as bad. On a cold day my rpms would go to 2500rpms, sometimes more. Now they go to 1500rpms and then come down to about 950rpms. 1st gear is much easier to manage from a dead stop, the lag is still there but not nearly as bad. I don't notice any surging anymore either.

The one bad thing about the tune I can see is that is running rich. You can really tell around 2000-2300 rpms because the exhaust gurgles like a mad man. It sounds good, but usually thats a sign of urburnt fuel in the exhaust. My gas milage has dropped as well. I drive 50\50 city and highway. I used to get about 32mpg if I was real easy on the gas. Now I get 29.5 on the nose, though I did test this in december and it was running winter blend gas. That could account for a mpg or two. Straight city driving I'm now down to 24mpg because I cruise around 2000-2500rpm in the city. Either way, still better than the window sticker milage. I'm sure I dyno tune you sure up the A\F ratio without much of a problem either.

Overall I'm happy with the tune, even if it does cost so much. I would do it again.

6. Tom was ok to deal with. It was kind of hard getting ahold of him, but I was mostly trying to contact him by PM's and email. I never called him. Like I said, it took about a month to get the tune, but Tom said there was a screw up on diablo's end with the predators.

7. No dyno's. :( But I will get a A\F reading when I do so I can lean it out a little.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #87
SVTsurfer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55381
What I Drive: 2002 Red SVTF

FF Reputation: 6 SVTsurfer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
1. Randy @ FocusSport
2. SCT Xcal3
3. $379
4. 2 weeks

I received my SCT Xcal3 flasher from Randy a little over a week ago and I would like to post up a review for you folks here at FJ. So far I have been thoroughly satisfied with the tune! Even since the first time I started the car I could notice the difference! Smoother idle, no hanging revs, less raspy exhaust and improved throttle response (just to name a few things). The car certainly feels stronger when upshifting and doesn't bog in between shifts anymore. Additionally, judging by my butt-dyno the car has also gotten a few more hp/tq as well.

**Drag Launch**
I LOVE this feature and I think that it is an absolute MUST for anyone who has a tune! On my Xcal3 there is an option to set a neutral rev limiter otherwise known as "drag launch" and it works amazing! This may work on the Xcal2 or the diablo but i am not sure... Taping down the CPP (clutch pedal position) switch or zip-tying it as I did is necessary for this feature to work but once this mod is in place and the tune is set it works wonderfully. I currently have the neutral rev limit set to 3000 RPM and what the tune does is bounce your RPMs at 3000 as long as your car is sitting still even with your foot to the floor! So, now with your foot all the way on the floor and the RPMs sitting at 3000 you can get a near perfect launch every time! The only thing that is needed is the proper amount of feathering once the clutch begins to engage. I am still getting used to it and I may change the rev limit from 3000 to something a little higher once i get more familiar with it. For now it works great though and anyone who has not tried it should definitely give it a shot!

So there we have it... The SCT Xcal3 from Randy was worth every penny!
Old 09-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #88
04yellowsvt
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 57322
What I Drive: boosted sreamin yellow SVT

FF Reputation: 1 04yellowsvt Good Standing Member
1. Brian turner Dyno tune motorsports of columbus ohio
2. xcal 3 $650 came with tuner and 10+ hrs of tuning/dyno time all custom tune
3. since march
4. tune was custom done the guy that set it up installed it for me. This tune is awsome my car is boosted it makes 260whp 273wtq on 7psi with a very mild street tune.
5. brian was very pro he took alot of time that he really didnt have to with my car i think every body that live any where close to columbus to go to him.
6. dynotunemotorsports.com
Old 09-04-2009, 09:31 AM   #89
MichSVT
You like this.

Fan#: 49693
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda RX-8, 99 Jeep TJ

FF Reputation: 5 MichSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
1. Turbo Tom - Focus-Power
2. Diablosport Predator
3. $395
4. since March 2009
5. Don't be fooled, the revs will still "hang," just not for as long of a duration. Much better exhast tone, more spark retarding (popping exhuast), less power lagging, no hesistation when you stab the go pedal. DSI kicks in sooner than before (5500rpm vs. 6000). Mileage is worse at higher speeds (75mph+) than before. Just the same elsewhere
I like how I can scan for codes on the Predator. Downloading new tunes off the computer is very cool, but the cords cost me about $40 from Radioshack...ouch!
6. Tom was helpful, it took a while though (I think 4 weeks roughly) to be delivered. He's really fast with the updated tunes via e-mail.

Overall, don't second guess: if you have the $$ for it, DO IT!
|_|.............|_|
Old 09-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #90
theblau

Fan#:
Thumbs up Tom's Tune

1. Tom's Tune
2. Diablosport Predator
3. 395
4. 1.5 years
5. The tune has made a huge improvement to the driveability of the car. It incredibly helped the bogging on start since I baby the clutch. I can even drive the car with the AC on! I haven't really noticed a difference in mileage at all. The exhaust note is much improved from stock, but definitely pops a lot more.
My only other mod is a K&N panel filter.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->