SVT owners: Post reviews of your Tune! - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-26-2005, 07:15 AM   #31
biketcher
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3796
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black Focus SES 5-spd (D

FF Reputation: 1 biketcher Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
1. FS SCT XCalibrator
2. Just the basic 91 OCT. Tune
3. $300 (after a $25 coupon for being on FS's mailing list). Then the price went down less than a week after I bought it...now it's $299.95. Ah well.
4. 1 week
5. Install went well. I was too eager the first time and I blipped the throttle right after I started it up, so my idle was messed up (too high). I reflashed it and let it idle for 10 minutes (at the advice of Randy at FS - great guy). After second flash, it idled a little goofy (1200rpm and it didn't return to idle right away), but after a day of driving (90 miles) it was great. I don't know if the T/C was fully disabled, but it works like normal when it's on and I was able to smoke the tires at a stoplight with it off. Mileage is about the same, maybe a mpg or two better than before. I'm getting 28-30mpg at 70mph (on the highway) - my commute is 45 miles each way. I guess I was hoping for more.
6. Got XCalibrator in two or three days. Tuner is a decent guy on phone.
7. I don't have a link to my ass-dyno (would you really want it if I did?!), but car feels WAY snappier, responsive.

Currently proud owner of a Pitch Black 2007 Focus SES 5-spd (2.0 Duratec) with all manner of options, but no mods...yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2005, 06:20 PM   #32
tazz3131
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8558
What I Drive: 2002 SVT CD Silver Focus

FF Reputation: 1 tazz3131 Good Standing Member
tune

1.Hypnotic Illusions Automotive
2.SCT Excalibrator
3. $355
4. Less than 24 hours
5. The install was fine, locked inside the car for 10 mins lol but worth it. TC was gone, thank you very much. The car just seemed to fly threw the gears i was going 100 so fast and had to slow down. anyways over all yes go out and buy this product.
6. Good job all around so well done.
7. NA
Old 06-09-2005, 01:34 AM   #33
MISVTfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13841
What I Drive: 08 Fusion SEL, Focus ST on order

FF Reputation: 1 MISVTfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
1. Wayne (HIA)
2. Xcal 1
3. 345 US dollars
4. about 4 days
5. The tune is nothing short of a total fix for all the problems with my car. The surging is completly gone and the car seems to run much smoother all through the powerband. On take off the power at the low end is noticably higher than it originally was. The tune makes the RPMs drop quickly down to 900. I have not had problems with the temp gauges as some have stated. BUT the traction control is not deleted. I seem to be having the same problem as WD40 with the late build number models. The unit was easy to install and everything went very smooth.
6. Wayne has been nice to me the whole time even before buying the unit, he said if there was any problem just to call (which I plan to do!) not that traction control delete is much of an issue for me because I don't really drive my car hard 97% of the time.
7. no dyno going to get one soon though.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:55 PM   #34
gukin
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12777
What I Drive: 2003 Orange SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 gukin Good Standing Member
Update:

I've got Wayne's latest tune that addresses the surging and uneven idle. I purchased my tune from Wayne in mid March with a fairly agressive tune. Everything was improved except there was bit of a lumpy idle and a hint of a surge. The tune improved the powerband across the board. I read on this fourm about Wayne's latest and most refined tune and Wayne kindly sent it to me.

Refined is an excellent word for Wayne's latest, my car starts instantly and settles down to a very smooth idle. The engine is smooth during acceleratino and the car runs the way it ought to.

One caveat: when upshifting during low RPM "hard" acceleration, there is a perceptable lag when re-engaging the clutch, the duration is a fraction of a second and happens when upshifting around 3000-3500 RPM. I believe it only happens when the car is transitioning from cold to warmed up and is more apparent with the AC running.

This Caveat is a REALLY minor thing, in hard acceleration (upshifts at 5000-7000) there is NO lag and the car really pulls. For around town driving shifting 3000-4000 RPM without flooring the acclerator, there is also no perceptable lag. The circumstances under which it happens are when the car is cold and I early shift with the AC on.

If you've got one of Wayne's older tunes and are beyond the 6-month support window, it would be worth sending him $45 for the update and continued support. Wayne's tune is still too good to be true.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:47 AM   #35
2002silversvt5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10382
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 2002silversvt5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
1. Tom from www.focus-power.com
2. Diablo Predator
3. 495$ +3% through paypal + 20$ shipping
4. 4 hours
5. I only have two words for this, "The WOW!" Really though, all of what the others have describe is true of my observation of the tune's performance. Absence of choking while coast to a stop, idle raised slightly to 1k rpms. As for what I can feel in the driver's seat? No more lag when trying to get on the gas. I only know the traction was disabled because I kind of slammed it while traveling midway through first and realized that I was not gripping the ground. There is a definite increase in low end power well into the whole rpm range. I feel like I now have to re-learn how to drive this car with the added power. I've always been used to really hitting higher revs to get her going, which is now not necessary.
6. Eventhough I may have had some trouble maintaining contact, Tom's product speaks for itself and for his work. I am definitely pleased with the end result and consider this to be a definite gateway for future business inquiries. Tom's also told me a few days for the product to be here and a few days is what it was. Again many thanks to you Tom. This only makes me love this car more than ever.
P.S. The diablo predator hardware is really an impressive piece of machinery and I'm glad I made the choice to go this route.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:05 PM   #36
richiejerzee4lfe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3854
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus

FF Reputation: 1 richiejerzee4lfe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
sct 2

1) Hypnotic ( Wayne )
2) SCT X-Cal 2
3) $360 shipped with flasher, port cable, PC cable
4) 2 Weeks or so
5) after i installed it right, i noticed what everyone else did. start up is much better, idle goes down quicker. also, after startup when im driving, its more comfortable because the cars response isnt sluggish like it was from the factory. i notice a lot more pull in 4th gear. seems to be a little better low end pull but not that noticeable. as for getting up to 100 mph, it still takes a while. overall, im satisfied with the mod. it really helped out the factory quirks electronic wise. good buy.
6) wayne is a hard person to get a hold of. ive emailed him a couple of times and he hasnt responded back. the only time that he did, he didnt answer my questions. calling him seems to work though.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:58 PM   #37
popecruz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17124
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 popecruz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
1) Hypnotic (wayne)

2) SCT Xcal1

3) 300 shipped - price reduced with the sct xcal2 - ordered friday came monday!

4) 6 hours

5) Install is very easy. I used a battery charger, then I unplugged 2 fuses, then I plugged in the SCT to the OBD-II hit 2 buttons and turned the key to ON and it did its thing. I didn't put the fuses back in and i freaked out when the car didnt' start lol. Once the fuses were back in it turned on and the revs dropped down to 900 in about 3-5 seconds. It was very hot today so unfortunately I didn't feel a big boost in performance. Even with the A/C off it didn't feel like i had gained 20 lbs of torque at 3k rpms. Even if this doesn't boost my performance, the thing makes the car so much more driveable. If it cost 1000 dollars it wouldn't be worth it, but 300 bucks? Thats nothing for the wonders this thing does.

6) i never talked to wayne about this. I just ordered it and it came. No complaints though.

Btw. POST 500 Right here - :D
All your hard work and training for AutoX and you get sliding off the road and jacking your suspension named after you. That sucks.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:16 PM   #38
..:: sleestak ::..
on thin air

Fan#: 22528
What I Drive: 04 Forester XTi

FF Reputation: 80 ..:: sleestak ::.. Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
1. Randy @ FocusSport (rla6&zed0) & Waynes Street Tune from Hypnotic
2. SCT Xcalibrator2
3. eBay $243 + 50 for FS tune / 60 Wayne's tune
4. A few weeks now
5. rla6 | zed0 | waynes street

rla6 & zed0
Randy gave me both of these tunes incase one didnt take well.
The rla6 definitely runs better on my car, but the launch still has that "bog" . Once you get past that it goes...smooth and strong. I then looked to see if any codes came up and then sent my report back to Randy and asked what I might be able to tweak to help the launch. He told me that one of the codes was most likely a busted DSI Clip. Once I fixed the DSI Clip, it ran a little better. Still would like to see a little better launch. I heard back from Randy a few days later and we are going to work on that rla6 a little more, I think.

Zed0 tune ...the launch was a little better, but didnt seem to pull as strong as the rla6 when it was up and going.

I had some money burning a hole in my pocket so I talked to Wayne and had him make up a tune for me. Night and day, I think. the "launch" is much better and runs like a beast Overall, I will most likely keep Wayne's tune in my car for twisties and around town, and maybe run the RLA6 once in a while for highway driving.

A few things I must say about Wayne...He sent me links to the apps that go with the SCT Xcal2 and also two tutorials that briefly go over how it works. I am also liking the fact that he offers 6 months of tweaks and upgrades with the cost of your tune and made sure I could get everything onto my sct. Awesome customer relations!! He even followed up with me the next day to ask about the tune....these little extras are what are having me lean a little more towards wayne when it comes to tunes.

Now that I have a nice little cache of tunes, I will have to start tinkering with them...lol.

"Our mother of blessed accelleration, dont fail us now!" -- Elwood Blues

Last edited by ..:: sleestak ::..; 08-22-2005 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:32 PM   #39
Clegg
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25626
What I Drive: 2002 Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Clegg Good Standing Member
1: Hypnotic (Wayne)
2: SCT XCal2
3: $360.00
4: About 15 minutes so far (I will update as I get it)
5: RLA1 tune for 93 Octane and 900 idle
6: For my few emails Wayne was prompt in his replies.
7: Idle seems tighter no hanging revs, Exhaust seems a lil louder/more grunt. The Car's performance doesnt seem like a big improvement, but it was a solid refinement on the powercurve .

I have a Wideband O2 on order and when I get a ORP with a 3rd bung for it, I will get some more clear A/F data.

I cant wait till the user tuning, and self contained data logging.
2008 Blue VDub R32 #3858 of 5000

Traded in: 2002 Infra-Red SVT #2992 of 4788 Born on June 20th 2002
Old 08-13-2005, 12:23 PM   #40
MIKESSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11218
What I Drive: 1996 SAAB 9000 AERO

FF Reputation: 1 MIKESSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
1. Turbo Tom
2. Diablo Predator
3. $515
4. 2 Days
5. Well the install was easy as pie. Blueberry pie. The car feels almost normal up until about 3k. Then it starts to pull wiht more power than it did before, and it all comes on so smoothly! The best way to describe it is if you had a 300lb man sitting in your trunk throwing a temper tantrum. Then he decided to jump out at aroudn 3000 rpms cause he saw some pie. The car just picks up alot smoother, the driveablility is much better as well.
6. Tom asnwered all my questions (when I could get a hold of him.) Shipping was slow as anything, though.
7. No dyno's yet, going to put the rest of my parts on and get a new tune then get a dyno for yas.

Bookmarks & Social Networks