New old toy! 2001 SPI Focus - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-20-2014, 06:18 PM   #1
kawasakiklx
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113911
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 kawasakiklx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New old toy! 2001 SPI Focus

So I just picked up another Focus days after selling my other, I got it for $500 and it starts, but sounds HORRIBLE, like a gremlin is inside the #4 cylinder beating it with a mace. The car is in great condition overall and has a lot of new parts, tires, water pump, timing belt, and some other stuff. All of it has documentation.

I did a quick compression test before unbolting everything and found that I had ~200psi in 1,2, and 3, but 4 had 0 psi. From reading the forums I have found that this cylinder is problematic. I am focusing on removing the whole motor, not just taking the head off to have a peak before it comes out. I haven't gotten a peak at the cylinder yet.

I will be trying to get the motor out from the bottom. I plan on using my engine hoist to lower the motor, then to raise the car. So far I have ran into a couple problems, but nothing major.

First, how do you remove the shift cables from the connection? I got the twisting of the barrels down to remove from the outer housing, but what method is there to remove the connecting ends? I noticed one has a silver washer I could pry off, the other has a orange button, I think this is an adjuster?

Also, what are my options for parts for this car? I plan on flipping it asap, so the cheaper the better. It would be nice to get away with new rings and gaskets, but I am never that lucky. I am not very interested in a ZETEC conversion at this point, although I enjoy working with that motor.

I'm sure I will have plenty more questions eventually, for now this is it. :)

I appreciate everyone who takes the time to help out!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
wv rider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 125497
What I Drive: 2010 grey s

FF Reputation: 1 wv rider Good Standing Member
That #4 cylinder is probably beat to crap. That engine is known for droping valve seats. Good luck. Take a look at the link.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287792
Old 01-21-2014, 03:56 AM   #3
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Also check out this thread.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296946
Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #4
kawasakiklx
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113911
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 kawasakiklx Good Standing Member
I looked into the conversion, but I would much prefer to just get this one running and sell it. The conversion would be a possibility if it were to become a DD for me. My last focus had a DOHC and I loved working on it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->