Battery relocation behind fender!!!! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
1988ttop
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 120313
What I Drive: 2002, focus zx3, dark grey

FF Reputation: 1 1988ttop Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation Battery relocation behind fender!!!!

Just like everyone else I will start by saying that I have search everywhere for an answer but have failed to find one. I been looking for options to relocate my battery, the most common place is the trunk but seems to be too much work as far as running the wire. Not to mention that if you have a Massive rear strut tower bar and you relocate the battery back there you won’t have any space left. I read somewhere about a member having his battery relocated behind the front fender and that really got my attention but I can’t find any info on that setup. Is it custom? Is it something that some company used to make and just like most of the other interesting parts they stop making them?
Any information will be highly appreciated.

BTW: I am aware of the “what if’s” regarding the battery location in case of a collision. Thanks…

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Where at in the fender, guessing a smaller battery too?
Old 01-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Chances are that member has a Braile battery which is much smaller and lighter than the stock battery. It also will not handle could temperatures well. I believe that member was norcalfocus that you are referring to by the way.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 01-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
1988ttop
Focus Rookie

cant remmeber the name, but he has a silver SVT with ghost flames air brushed on the front, also a really nice vortech super charger.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
1988ttop
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
Where at in the fender, guessing a smaller battery too?
I guess it would be around the area where the filter would be on a AEM CAI. so it might be behind the bumper on the left, under the headlight?
Old 01-17-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988ttop View Post
I guess it would be around the area where the filter would be on a AEM CAI. so it might be behind the bumper on the left, under the headlight?
so basically you want to hide the battery, get the area around the engine cleared of some clutter?
Old 01-17-2014, 05:10 PM   #7
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Chrysler used to put the battery's in the fenders of late 1990's and early 2000's cars. With putting a Lead Acid battery in that kind of high moisture environment I would routinely see the battery tray corroded away to almost nothing. and in an extreme case a battery was hanging by just the cables in the fender location. Now this IS in the rust belt, but having seen that multiple times given the location I would never willingly put a battery in the fender.

Put it in the back it would be less work than fabing up something to make it work in the fender.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 01-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #8
ferret15
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83494
What I Drive: 03 zx3 and a screeming yellow eap

FF Reputation: 2 ferret15 Good Standing Member
You can do it. Use a dry cell. Odyssey is going to be a better choice as they have smaller batteries available, but if you find you have room you can use a yellow optima too. You could get away with mounting a few metal straps across the battery to keep it in place, although I would spend more time with some more thought out mounts. Given your in a winter state, I would suggest making your own box to seal the battery from the elements. Guys tend to cut bend and weld a thin piece of Stainless steel for custom fit boxes.
I will warn that given most of use DD cars using a regular battery the acid will leak like normal and probably eat a things that were never supposed to see acid.

This is an acura, but since I can't find a picture of a focus that has this you get the idea of where to look for space.

edit: this is what the honda guys seem to be using for their. the odyssey 680 mini dry cell which will start our cars too, specs say 520CA for 5 secs and only 170CCA, that means I honestly don't know what to expect for the winter.

example of the battery in more of a box.

example of the battery in tray

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->