10k miles in to my ST, some thoughts coming from Focus Titanium - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
quattro1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97618
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 quattro1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
10k miles in to my ST, some thoughts coming from Focus Titanium

I've put about 11k miles so far on my ST and here are some thoughts with my previous car being a 2012 Focus Titanium 5spd w/handling package.

Back in 2012 ordered a White Platinum Tri-Coat Focus Titanium with a 5spd, the handling package and cloth seats, didnt want leather. Bought this car as my commute was about 70 miles round trip. Once the car arrived, I loved it for what it was, a commuter car that handled decently well and the manual transmission made it fun. Had no issues with MyFord Touch, it worked well for me.

A year and a half in, I wanted a little more power and always had the ST in the back of my mind. Just didn't think it made sense considering my commute. Then began to think that since I spend so much time in the car, why not get something with more go? Always knew what combo I wanted in the ST, Oxford White with the blk/blue Recaro's. Luckily for me a dealer an hour away had a 2013 with that exact combo and were willing to deal as 2014's were on the way.

Made the deal over email and went in on a Sunday to sign the papers. Then sold my Titanium in about 2 weeks on Craigslist, to the only person who looked at it.

The ST instanly felt more "tighter" compared to the Titanium obviously and the bump in power was really nice. I did however begin to doubt the Recaro seats right away. I really liked the sport cloth seats in the Titanium. With the Recaro's I felt as if I was sitting on them and not in them. Then wished I could have got the MFT package with the ST1 seats. After maybe 2 weeks, the seats felt snug and great and had got used to the fit. I'm not a big guy, 5'7" 155lbs. Now, I love them. They are so comfortable and fit just right. Just took time getting used to them. The seats are now my favorite aspect of this car next to the motor. I even got a matching blk/blue Recaro car seat for my daughter.

My commute now, when I chose to is more fun. Passing cars and cornering is now that much better. I often take the backroad to and from work now. Video of part of the drive driven in my Titanium:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Ok the negatives, which are specefic to the Focus model and not the ST:
The turning radius - my gosh why is this so large! My Audi and Flex have much better turning radius than this thing. It's terrible.

Miles to Empty - this has got to be the most in-accurate guage. within a mile of driving, it can go from 55 miles to 20. Miles to empty can say 10. Turn car off and back on and it'll report something in the 30's. This is more pronounced when driving hard in corners with the fuel sloshing around in the tank as the gauge doesn't seem to "correct" itself once the fuel has settled again, or its too quick to read what's it thinks is not there.

Sound from the stereo in the ST = was not as loud and deep as the one from my Titanium. Solved this by buying an amp from a junk yard out of a Titanium http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322665

My MPG has been OK. Been using Fuelly to track this.
Focus Titanium - AVG=32.1 best=37.1 cost/mile=$0.124
Focus ST - AVG=26.8 best=31.5 cost/mile=$0.137

All in all its been a great car and tons of fun. The power is there when I need it yet am able to also get decent MPG when not on it. Hatchback utility is great as my hockey bag fits in just right.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

Points 1,664, Level 23
Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro1 View Post
Miles to Empty - this has got to be the most in-accurate guage. within a mile of driving, it can go from 55 miles to 20. Miles to empty can say 10. Turn car off and back on and it'll report something in the 30's. This is more pronounced when driving hard in corners with the fuel sloshing around in the tank as the gauge doesn't seem to "correct" itself once the fuel has settled again, or its too quick to read what's it thinks is not there.
You probably already know this, but the miles to empty is computed based on the MPG you are getting at that particular moment in time and will change accordingly.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
Anthony2816
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116150
What I Drive: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST w/ST3 pack

Points 543, Level 10
Points: 543, Level: 10 Points: 543, Level: 10 Points: 543, Level: 10
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Anthony2816 Good Standing Member
Quattro, the poor turning radius of the ST is because you've got taller, wider wheels in wheel wells designed for much smaller wheels. Thus, there just isn't space for them to turn as sharply as the base model Focus.

You just have to be happy with the fact that in all other respects the ST's steering is wonderfully tight and responsive. Try making a quick freeway lane change in the ST, and then in a Titanium, and you'll see what I mean. The ST can flick back and forth with barely any body roll at all. As you noted, it just feels "tighter".

Similarly, I found the shifting to be much tighter and satisfying on my ST than on a rare Titanium manual I tried.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.