How to install Massive Speed EGR delete plate. - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #11
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97562
What I Drive: 2007 Oxford White ZX3

Points 1,268, Level 19
Points: 1,268, Level: 19 Points: 1,268, Level: 19 Points: 1,268, Level: 19
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 4 Phestezio Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yeah thats not a bad idea, just put some kind of plug behind the holes to get shavings out and grease your tap to catch most of the shavings, not a bad idea and it would be cheaper. but the massive EGR delete is only $30 bucks and comes with the barbs for the coolant lines and looks much cleaner than 3 bolts would look. you could save $15 bucks or so tapping and plugging the holes though.

And i'll have engine bay pics soon, I'm just finishing putting the new manifold on today. I've been fighting with the power steering clearance for a couple days now.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 11:46 PM   #12
jwindbigler
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 139441
What I Drive: 2007 Maroon Focus

FF Reputation: 1 jwindbigler Good Standing Member
Im interested in doing this. I have a 2.0 and want to know if it will fit, and really concerned with the pros and cons. I dont want to have to get a computer tune or anything like that. My main goal is to raise my MPG. I recently purchased a STEEDA CAI for her. But am still looking for other ways to raise the MPG, or clean up the engine bay without lowering it. Thanks guys.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:39 PM   #13
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 11,965, Level 71
Points: 11,965, Level: 71 Points: 11,965, Level: 71 Points: 11,965, Level: 71
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 65 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwindbigler View Post
Im interested in doing this. I have a 2.0 and want to know if it will fit, and really concerned with the pros and cons. I dont want to have to get a computer tune or anything like that. My main goal is to raise my MPG. I recently purchased a STEEDA CAI for her. But am still looking for other ways to raise the MPG, or clean up the engine bay without lowering it. Thanks guys.
That Steeda sri is a great upgrade. You'll need a tune, if your going to delete your egr, unless you want the cel on. BTW a tune will help w/ mileage. Anytime you make the engine more efficent your going to get better mileage, if you can keep your foot out of it. Add a set of mild cams & a header & you'll see more mpg. Of course it'll take a while before you get your money out of it.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 02-04-2014, 06:38 AM   #14
jwindbigler
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
That Steeda sri is a great upgrade. You'll need a tune, if your going to delete your egr, unless you want the cel on. BTW a tune will help w/ mileage. Anytime you make the engine more efficent your going to get better mileage, if you can keep your foot out of it. Add a set of mild cams & a header & you'll see more mpg. Of course it'll take a while before you get your money out of it.
Mild cams will actually improve mpg? I havent heard this one before. What cams could I run where Ill see a little more zing and mpg?

Out of curiousity, could I just leave my EGR plugged in, and take all the hoses off? Or would the CEL still be there?
Old 02-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #15
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,268, Level 19
Level Up 68% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
The CEL would still be there, unless you tune it to delete the EGR there is no way to get rid of it. A tune is well worth it you will see more mpg on a mildly tuned car. I was making almost 40mpg on my last tune before I added my most recent mods, I haven't seen what my new mpg is yet as i'm still tuning so its still changing
Old 02-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #16
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 11,965, Level 71
Points: 11,965, Level: 71 Points: 11,965, Level: 71 Points: 11,965, Level: 71
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 65 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwindbigler View Post
Mild cams will actually improve mpg? I havent heard this one before. What cams could I run where Ill see a little more zing and mpg? >>>>Crane 224-0010's. Looking at the spec's & they are fairley mild= Like 34C's vs 34A's boobies. I was amazed at the difference in the oem vs the crane lobes, even thou the specs are really mild. Make the motor more effeinct & you'll see more power & mileage. Think of the motor as a pump & think in & out things & you'll see a improvement.<<<<<

Out of curiousity, could I just leave my EGR plugged in, and take all the hoses off? Or would the CEL still be there?
The egr valve is bolted straight to the head & has no hose's, just a wire connector. Unplug it & the cel is on. The only way is w/ a tune which is set to delete it. Id also delete the rear 02 senser too.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 02-06-2014, 04:26 AM   #17
jwindbigler
Focus Enthusiast

what kind of programmer do you guys use to improve MPG?
Old 02-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #18
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,268, Level 19
Level Up 68% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
I'm using a SCT Livewire 9600, but most people just get the xcal3 also made by SCT. it seems to me the xcal3 is less glitchy than the Livewire. But its the tune that you put on the car that will increase your MPG, not the tuner itself. All the tuner does is flash new tune files to your ECU, you literally only need it plugged in for maybe 5 minutes at a time. Maybe a little longer if your datalogging. You don't want to use any pre-loaded tunes that come with alot of flash tuners. Get a custom tune.

Also lets try to keep this thread EGR related, I don't want to see my write-up get way off topic and disappear haha it took me a while to write it up as well as I did
Old 02-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #19
jwindbigler
Focus Enthusiast

Ive never tuned a car myself before. Is it pretty easy? Meaning something that I can figure out pretty easily
Old 02-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #20
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,268, Level 19
Level Up 68% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
If you are not familiar with tuning it probably isn't something your going to want to try yourself, especially on the duratec motor. Unless you want to spend alot of time learning about tuning and even take a few classes on it and then spend a small fortune on tuning software its not something you are going to want to do yourself. The best thing to do would be to do some research into it and learn more about different engine mechanics in general and really learn about your motor specifically to learn what different features and modules it might have bolted to it so that you know what all the different sensors are doing and why they are doing it and how do you change that to make it do what you want it to do.

Overall tuning can be one of the more difficult things to do with one of the larger learning curves, not to mention the high cost of the tuning software. Almost everyone just buys the xcal3 flash tuner and then pays Tom to do a custom tune for you, he is by far the cheapest custom tuner you will find anywhere. There is a thread in the Focus Tuning section that explains how Tom's tune works. You will need to be prepared to flash new tunes and datalog and repeat until he can get the best possible tune for your vehicle.

Also if you do buy a flash tuner you NEVER want to use any pre-loaded tunes that may come on the tuner.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.