Intake Seat - Here I Go Again - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
rnewscates
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97162
What I Drive: 2000 Focus SPI, 1978 Lotus Esprit

FF Reputation: 1 rnewscates Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Intake Seat - Here I Go Again

Bought a 2000 SPI sedan in July '13, 115K, missing head - rebuilt it with new bearings, new pistons (#1 broken) and rings, and bought a refurbed head on eBay with the seat problem "corrected" - ran great for almost 2000 miles, started running bad and clattering , #4 cylinder no comression, so I yanked the head, and found that #4 intake seat was cocked severely! I took it to my trusted machine shop and they said the head was also warped - it was all they could do to get the camshaft out, and it turned reluctantly as well - it could have seized at any time as well! So they said I could get a new head casting for $355. and they will transfer over the cam, lifters, rockers etc. and I will be all set. Yes, I could get another "rebuilt" head on eBay for $250but who knows how long it would last, plus the risk of sudden catastrop-
ic failure is higher. Actually I am lucky in that the seat didn't come loose, it might have broken another piston.
Still Love Driving It! Bob Scates Springfield, VA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
Svizzara
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98554
What I Drive: '01 SPI Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Svizzara Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
what was the name of the eBay seller/company? it would be good to know so that myself and others looking to do a head swap/engine rebuild don't buy from the same faulty source.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #3
Dmperfection
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103313
What I Drive: '02 Focus 2.0 SPI

FF Reputation: 1 Dmperfection Good Standing Member
I just dropped #4 intake seat. Wondering if you went ahead with new aftermarket casting? Did it work out well? I'm also interested in knowing which ebay seller you bought the rebuilt head from. I'm torn between having my head repaired or go the easy route and exchange.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #4
rnewscates
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97162
What I Drive: 2000 Focus SPI, 1978 Lotus Esprit

FF Reputation: 1 rnewscates Good Standing Member
RE: Replacement Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmperfection View Post
I just dropped #4 intake seat. Wondering if you went ahead with new aftermarket casting? Did it work out well? I'm also interested in knowing which ebay seller you bought the rebuilt head from. I'm torn between having my head repaired or go the easy route and exchange.
Hello, I just went to my machine shop, they ordered a new head, with valves and camshaft since they couldn't get the camshaft out of the old warped head. All they had to do was transfer the lifters. This new head cost only about $360. or so, about what you would pay for a rebuilt head on eBay. I installed it using new head bolts and head gasket, it now has almost 1,000 miles on it with no issues. Soon I am going to re-tension the timing belt, and replace the fuel injectors with a set that I sent to InjectorRx.com for cleaning, they come back like new and flow-matched. My recommendation: take this route instead of buying a rebuilt head - locally or eBay, It costs about the same, it's a sure thing, and it's new! You should put something on where you really don't have to worry that it'll drop a valve any minute, it could be very inconvenient or worse, and break a piston too. Best of Luck, Bob
Old 03-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #5
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewscates View Post
Hello, I just went to my machine shop, they ordered a new head, with valves and camshaft since they couldn't get the camshaft out of the old warped head. All they had to do was transfer the lifters. This new head cost only about $360. or so, about what you would pay for a rebuilt head on eBay. I installed it using new head bolts and head gasket, it now has almost 1,000 miles on it with no issues. Soon I am going to re-tension the timing belt, and replace the fuel injectors with a set that I sent to InjectorRx.com for cleaning, they come back like new and flow-matched. My recommendation: take this route instead of buying a rebuilt head - locally or eBay, It costs about the same, it's a sure thing, and it's new! You should put something on where you really don't have to worry that it'll drop a valve any minute, it could be very inconvenient or worse, and break a piston too. Best of Luck, Bob
Many people on here have ordered multiple heads on ebay with no problems. You just have to buy it from a reputable dealer. This is why it is so important that you share where you bought your warped head. We need to know which sellers to avoid and which we can trust, because as you said, no one needs to worry about dropping another valve seat.

Another very useful piece of information is whether or not you contacted the seller (which you should have before shelling anything out to anyone else), and what they said. A reputable dealer will have a warranty for their head, did yours?

So, please tell us where you bought your head.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->