Gonna take the hit on a trade - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-20-2014, 08:29 AM   #31
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin-nole View Post
The customer service rep that called her yesterday pretty much told her to go pound sand, Do Not take it back to the dealer as they will do nothing other than reset the computer and that starts the adaptive learning all over again. When asked about the low speed shutter and it being dangerous to pull out into traffic, the woman told her and this is a QUOTE "drive it like you stole it." The only thing offered was an X-plan which is nothing because she will be upside down if she trades. I've been a loyal Ford owner since 1974 but, this may be my last one if nothing is done.
Try 5 full-throttle 0-60's on a back road somewhere. Worked for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 09:52 AM   #32
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
I bought an Impreza last month and I'm growing to love it. It's very different than the Focus... slightly less refined in some ways (wind and road noise, appearance), but much better engineered and well thought-out in other ways (visibility, transmission, interior, and of course the AWD). PM me if you have any questions.

I, too, was slightly concerned about the CVT, but then the salesman told me that Subaru is putting them in everything, including the WRX STI. I figure long-term reliability must be OK if Subaru is confident enough to do that.

The CVT takes a little getting used to, but I'm really liking it. After a hurky-jerky, engine-bogging, annoying as hell DCT with obvious clutch problems (that Ford wouldn't fix), Subaru's CVT is a breath of fresh air. Smooth, almost seamless power delivery with none of the harsh shifting and torque gaps that plagued my Focus. And the AWD really lets it take off way faster from a dead stop. No spinning or squealing tires, even if there's some loose sand or gravel in the driveway/intersection. It just goes.
I traded my 2012 Focus Ti in on a 2012 Impreza Sport Limited a year ago and it's been 12-months of problem free driving. The CVT is smoother and more predictable than Fords DCT, and the interior roomier and more comfortable. Also, visibility is panoramic compared to the Focus especially around the A-pillars. Oh yeah, and the factory car mats are still going strong! The Focus mats didn't last six months, rubber or carpet. I also like the fact that the Impreza has a timing chain and that the oil filter is right on top of the motor.

The biggest complaint I have with the Impreza is that the EPA rated MPG of 27\36 is nowhere near what they claim. I average 26 MPG on the same commute the Focus did at 31.5 MPG, and where the Focus's trip meter was usually within .5 MPG's the Impreza is consistently optimistic by at least 2 MPG.

Still, I like the Subie much better especially since I equipped it with my own custom in-vehicle infotainment system. No restrictions on what I can do with it and in the 8-months since I installed it in the car it's only crashed once (unreproducible BSOD due to Microsoft's native wifi driver).
Old 03-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #33
SuiTnTie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 145266
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE Hatch 5sp

FF Reputation: 1 SuiTnTie Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
I traded my 2012 Focus Ti in on a 2012 Impreza Sport Limited a year ago and it's been 12-months of problem free driving. The CVT is smoother and more predictable than Fords DCT, and the interior roomier and more comfortable. Also, visibility is panoramic compared to the Focus especially around the A-pillars. Oh yeah, and the factory car mats are still going strong! The Focus mats didn't last six months, rubber or carpet. I also like the fact that the Impreza has a timing chain and that the oil filter is right on top of the motor.

The biggest complaint I have with the Impreza is that the EPA rated MPG of 27\36 is nowhere near what they claim. I average 26 MPG on the same commute the Focus did at 31.5 MPG, and where the Focus's trip meter was usually within .5 MPG's the Impreza is consistently optimistic by at least 2 MPG.

Still, I like the Subie much better especially since I equipped it with my own custom in-vehicle infotainment system. No restrictions on what I can do with it and in the 8-months since I installed it in the car it's only crashed once (unreproducible BSOD due to Microsoft's native wifi driver).
What did you get for your '12 titan on the trade? Curious about the depreciation.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #34
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin-nole View Post
When asked about the low speed shutter and it being dangerous to pull out into traffic, the woman told her and this is a QUOTE "drive it like you stole it."
That's good advice.
The clutches will work better (smoother) with occasional hard acceleration.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #35
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiTnTie View Post
What did you get for your '12 titan on the trade? Curious about the depreciation.
I got 16,8 for it in factory condition with 19k miles. The dealer couldn't sell the Focus so they ended up wholesaling it.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #36
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
I got 16,8 for it in factory condition with 19k miles. The dealer couldn't sell the Focus so they ended up wholesaling it.
Nice. What does that work out to as far as depreciation per year?

I just traded my '12 SEL with 25k miles for $13k after 26 months of ownership. Originally paid $18.2k after rebates but before trade, tax, etc. So that works out to about $2,400 per year depreciation. In the same ballpark as the last half dozen or so cars I've owned (mostly Fords).
Old 03-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #37
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Nice. What does that work out to as far as depreciation per year?

I just traded my '12 SEL with 25k miles for $13k after 26 months of ownership. Originally paid $18.2k after rebates but before trade, tax, etc. So that works out to about $2,400 per year depreciation. In the same ballpark as the last half dozen or so cars I've owned (mostly Fords).
That worked out to about $4,885, I only had it for 14-months. It was a price I was willing to pay to get out from under the car while it was still in good working condition.

I talked to the Subaru sales rep a few weeks after the trade and he said everybody that test drove the Focus loved it...except for the transmission. Many thought it was broken.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:57 PM   #38
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
That worked out to about $4,885, I only had it for 14-months. It was a price I was willing to pay to get out from under the car while it was still in good working condition.

I talked to the Subaru sales rep a few weeks after the trade and he said everybody that test drove the Focus loved it...except for the transmission. Many thought it was broken.
Happiness is priceless. There was guy on the Durango forums who traded in his loaded '13 for a '14, not because of anything wrong with the '13 but just because he wanted the '14's relatively minor improvements. Traded the '13 for 10 grand less than he paid.

If your Subie dealer was smart they'd take it to a Ford dealer to try to improve the DCT performance under warranty. The Ford dealer I traded to didn't even take it for a drive, indicating they'd just fix anything that might be wrong under the factory warranty.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #39
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:

Glad you now enjoy happy motoring. I did the same as you and have mazda-3. dash says 34.8 overall mpg, rides lower than the focus, corners well, not quite as quick but cruises all day at 80 effortlessly. So nice not to be subconciously waiting for the next shudder-shake or bog.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #40
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
Glad you now enjoy happy motoring. I did the same as you and have mazda-3. dash says 34.8 overall mpg, rides lower than the focus, corners well, not quite as quick but cruises all day at 80 effortlessly. So nice not to be subconciously waiting for the next shudder-shake or bog.
I test drove a '13 Mazda3 grand touring before getting the new Focus. Loaded, only 9k miles. I found that Skyactiv powertrain to be way less responsive than the Focus. It just did not want to get moving around town. Turned me off completely. Then I drove a '14 3 and it was a night and day improvement over the '13. Don't know if the '13 had something wrong with it or not.

Bookmarks & Social Networks