Gonna take the hit on a trade - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-15-2014, 06:55 AM   #21
lewisra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93289
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 3 lewisra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin-nole View Post
It has 40k plus. I'm tired of it, all the updates and what have you is just a pain and I only drive it a few times a month. It's the wife's dd.
What kind of Bluetooth issues? And what kind of phone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #22
fishin-nole
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99925
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Metallic

FF Reputation: 1 fishin-nole Good Standing Member
Well, we still have this pile of dog doo. It's in the shop for the shuddering again. I can lessen it by putting it in the drive cycle but it will come right back. It's so bad at 10-20 mph it's not safe to pull out into traffic. It almost feels like the left front wheel is going to wring off. It drives fine at cruising speed it's just slow speeds that it acts up. She has been looking at other cars and drove a manual Focus but, she has a bad knee. She also looked at an Impreza and likes it but, the cvt trans. gives me pause for concern.
1.71 60ft.
12.68@106
Old 03-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #23
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Well, we still have this pile of dog doo. It's in the shop for the shuddering again. I can lessen it by putting it in the drive cycle but it will come right back. It's so bad at 10-20 mph it's not safe to pull out into traffic. It almost feels like the left front wheel is going to wring off. It drives fine at cruising speed it's just slow speeds that it acts up. She has been looking at other cars and drove a manual Focus but, she has a bad knee. She also looked at an Impreza and likes it but, the cvt trans. gives me pause for concern.
I bought an Impreza last month and I'm growing to love it. It's very different than the Focus... slightly less refined in some ways (wind and road noise, appearance), but much better engineered and well thought-out in other ways (visibility, transmission, interior, and of course the AWD). PM me if you have any questions.

I, too, was slightly concerned about the CVT, but then the salesman told me that Subaru is putting them in everything, including the WRX STI. I figure long-term reliability must be OK if Subaru is confident enough to do that.

The CVT takes a little getting used to, but I'm really liking it. After a hurky-jerky, engine-bogging, annoying as hell DCT with obvious clutch problems (that Ford wouldn't fix), Subaru's CVT is a breath of fresh air. Smooth, almost seamless power delivery with none of the harsh shifting and torque gaps that plagued my Focus. And the AWD really lets it take off way faster from a dead stop. No spinning or squealing tires, even if there's some loose sand or gravel in the driveway/intersection. It just goes.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:53 PM   #24
mcknatz
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 116679
FF Reputation: 1 mcknatz Good Standing Member
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with that CVT. Given the HP/torque the Impreza is throwing at it, you shouldn't ever have a problem. We have several friends who own and love them. The only reason we went with the Focus over the Impreza was that it had a lot more space.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #25
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Well, we still have this pile of dog doo. It's in the shop for the shuddering again. I can lessen it by putting it in the drive cycle but it will come right back. It's so bad at 10-20 mph it's not safe to pull out into traffic. It almost feels like the left front wheel is going to wring off.
Do all MK3 Focuses with a DCT exhibit the same behavior?
I believe that the correct answer is no as many people are happy with theirs.
Hopefully your dealer will fix your transmission properly.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #26
fishin-nole
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Do all MK3 Focuses with a DCT exhibit the same behavior?
I believe that the correct answer is no as many people are happy with theirs.
Hopefully your dealer will fix your transmission properly.
This car has 50k and every trip for service she tells them of the problems and they say it is normal.
1.71 60ft.
12.68@106
Old 03-17-2014, 08:55 PM   #27
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
This car has 50k and every trip for service she tells them of the problems and they say it is normal.
Unfortunately, it seems that this is not an uncommon occurrence.

I've read several posts where someone was initially told "it was normal" but at some point their transmission was fixed to their satisfaction.

Don't let them off the hook. Sometimes you have to be the squeaky wheel.

Question: Have you any mechanical work (clutches, seals, etc.) done to the DCT?
Old 03-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #28
fishin-nole
Focus Enthusiast

It has had the clutches and seals replaced and all the ecu updates have been done. She is ready to trade for a manual. She loves the car other than the crappy dct.
1.71 60ft.
12.68@106
Old 03-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #29
fishin-nole
Focus Enthusiast

They did a software update today and the shudder is still there. She talked to the service manager and a regional rep. will call her tomorrow and they have opened a case on it. This is getting annoying. :UPDATE:
Went for a ride when she got home and it's as bad or worse. I swear the front end is gonna come out from under it. I'm a Ford man, but this transmission is junk.
1.71 60ft.
12.68@106

Last edited by fishin-nole; 03-18-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #30
fishin-nole
Focus Enthusiast

The customer service rep that called her yesterday pretty much told her to go pound sand, Do Not take it back to the dealer as they will do nothing other than reset the computer and that starts the adaptive learning all over again. When asked about the low speed shutter and it being dangerous to pull out into traffic, the woman told her and this is a QUOTE "drive it like you stole it." The only thing offered was an X-plan which is nothing because she will be upside down if she trades. I've been a loyal Ford owner since 1974 but, this may be my last one if nothing is done.
1.71 60ft.
12.68@106

Bookmarks & Social Networks