Oil Filter Experience - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-26-2003, 10:47 PM   #1
BONOMAN5064
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 627
What I Drive: 2007 Ion Redline Stage 2 Comp packg

FF Reputation: 1 BONOMAN5064 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation Oil Filter Experience

Hello Everyone:
Just wanted to share a little bit of information I learned this week.When I first bought my focus zetec, the first thing i did was to change the oil since I bought it used.I went to discount autoparts and bought a new oil filter.In the past I bought K&N products and was satisfied with the results.So I was happy to find out they do oil filters.The guy recomended part hp2009 which is what appeared on the computer as a fit to my car.I indicated to the guy I did not have the SPI engine.He doublechecked and stated that was the correct oil filter.Prior to that I also checked pep boys web site and even K&N web site, and both still stated the same part:HP 2009.I bought the part and had it installed during the oil change.Car ran fine, The engine was a little bit noisier, but nothing obvious.I did see some of the posts that you fine folks had put and your opinions as far as of which Oil filter to use.Almost everybody seemed unanimous with the motorcraft filter.I also Noticed that nobody else have the K&N filter.This started to worry me.I went to a ford dealer and spoke with a service technician and asked for his professional opinion on this, and he stated that motorcraft is a ford part to match ford engines but that the K&N filter would be fine.I asked if there was a lot of difference bettwen the SPI oil filter and the ZETEC oil filter.He stated that It was almost the same thing.At this point, I took things into my own hands(should have done it a long time before) Went to advanced autoparts to see what they would recomend.To my surprise :K&N filter HP2009.I decided to open the K&N filter and compare it to the Motorcraft.I did see a difference in the interior design.I called K&N filters and asked about this.Their first reaction was that yes ,I have the correct part.But then after I asked the ZETEC/SPI question then stated that the filter would work with vehicles that have a letter "P" as the eight character on the vin#.AT this point I am pissed!!! Would have helped to seen that on the web site, and she explained to me that it was posted there.I went to the web site with her on the phone and in a very little corner of the web page showing the part # showed a little letter "P". .I told the rep that just showing a little letter "P" on the web page does NOT give me(the customer) all the info she just clarified by phone.ANd she did not know wherever the P was for the ZETEC engine or SPI.Went to my car checked the vin #.....NO freaking "P" on the vin #.I called Ford to verify this, they thought I was crazy!!!Went to the car lot found an LX focus,checked the Vin #: Letter "P" on the eight vin # character was there!!!.Went to have the oil change and filter right away.I know it was a long post, but comes to show that sometimes, It pays to do alittle homework.I hope this information helps anyone with a same issue.

Magnaflow Catback, Steeda High Flow Intake, YFRO ECU update.

2003 5 DR SVT CD SILVER WITH HIDS PACKAGE AND AUDIOPHILE SYSTEM. CAR #363 OUT OF 2173.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2003, 10:59 PM   #2
silverfoci
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 459
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 silverfoci Good Standing Member
I have the K&N oil filter. Seems to work just fine for me.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:27 PM   #3
BONOMAN5064
Focus Enthusiast

It was working fine for me, I just thought anyone may wanna check this out!!Since It came straight from K&N!!!

2003 5 DR SVT CD SILVER WITH HIDS PACKAGE AND AUDIOPHILE SYSTEM. CAR #363 OUT OF 2173.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:06 AM   #4
EuroZX3Focus
Black Magik

Fan#: 135
What I Drive: '00 Focus ZX3, '00 Civic EX Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Umm I dont understand what the point of this just was, but Im using motorcraft and will continue to do so, that way I have no worries, I always use OE stuff
Old 11-27-2003, 12:35 PM   #5
teddyrob
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1500
FF Reputation: 3 teddyrob Good Standing Member
quote 'Went to my car checked the vin #.....NO freaking "P" on the vin #.I called Ford to verify this, they thought I was crazy!!!

what ford said!
Old 11-27-2003, 01:26 PM   #6
whiteboyslo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 180
What I Drive: 04 Pontiac GTO - Yellow M6

FF Reputation: 2 whiteboyslo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
vin P is SPI
vin 3 is zetec

my understanding is that the SPI does not have an anti-drainback valve and the zetec does. other than that, they're the same filter and will both fit. i'd recommend getting the filter with the anti drain back if you have the zetec bc it'll keep your top end from running dry at startup

MIke
Old 11-27-2003, 07:25 PM   #7
BONOMAN5064
Focus Enthusiast

Thats exactly what i read in one of the other posts about the anti-drainback valve.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->