Say it again... remove the tail light assy. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-26-2005, 09:52 AM   #1
Blurvfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 15299
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Wine Cooled Eng.

FF Reputation: 54 Blurvfocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Say it again... remove the tail light assy.

I can't get my tail light assy off to change a bulb. I got both screws out, but it's still holding near the top. From looking on line here, I find out it's a plastic clip holding. It's really cold here now, I'm afraid I might break the clip off if I force it; which way does this thing have to move to disengage this clip? Does it slide down, towards the bumper, or straight out, away from the car, or what?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2005, 09:58 AM   #2
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
It's probably just stuck somewhat and you'll have to pull abit harder. There is a rubber seal on the edge of the taillight housing where it meets up with the back side windows that sometimes sticks. There is only two screws, a phillips (star) one located on the inside trough of the trunk near the weather stripping and a hand bolt (plastic) that you remove from underneath and inside the trunk area.

The wiring is attached to the bottom of the taillight housing with these push on clips (push onto round pegs) so don't pull as super hard on it. You have about a foot to a foot and a half 'play' in the wiring once the taillight housing is actually pulled out.

There are no clips holding the taillights down (no plastic ones) but just the two screws. Make sure you pull the housing back straight and not angled. The 'screw' that the hand bolt attaches to is inserted through the car's structure so that you can put that hand bolt on through the inside of the trunk (you will know what I mean when you see it).

Pull it straight out and try not to push the housing to the outside of the car when you pull it out. I am betting that they rubber seal is sticking. You can probably take a very small (thin) flathead screwdriver and work your way between the side back window and the taillight housing to break clear the rubber seal. Make sure you pry (lack of a better word) between the rubber seal and the window cause the rubber seal is attached to the actual taillight housing, not the window.

Hope this helps ya a bit.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:08 PM   #3
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Yeah, like Chad said, no clips.

It's just being held on by that rubber seal now. It's pretty annoying to get a grip on the taillight, but you just have to grapple with it and tug it out of its place. Trying to grab it on the window end with either your fingers or a flathead as mentioned above would help. And pull straight out, you'll feel the rubber start to give and the light will be free... still attached to its wires of course.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
Blurvfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 15299
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Wine Cooled Eng.

FF Reputation: 54 Blurvfocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I got it- thanks to both of you. The thing was just stuck, as you said. I felt silly when it snapped loose, couldn't have been easier... If this was any of my last couple cars I would have just yanked the damned thing off and the hell with it, but this one is my baby; gotta be careful!
Old 01-27-2005, 09:39 AM   #5
jrzx3
FF Veteran Goofball

Fan#: 384
What I Drive: An f'd up dirty '01

FF Reputation: 1 jrzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Yeah, I had a tough time with left and an easier time with the right side. It just WOULD NOT come out! The rubber trim broke a little but whatever. I have another set of tinted tails anyways.

Glad to see you got it.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:47 AM   #6
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Great, glad ya got it and we could help ya....

Bookmarks & Social Networks