aem cai and lost power? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-23-2005, 12:34 AM   #1
foc_this
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17666
What I Drive: 05 zx4 se sonic blue

FF Reputation: 2 foc_this Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question aem cai and lost power?

ok i just recently added my aem cai and for some reason i fill like i lost a little power. does anyone know if maybe i did something wrong or maybe it is all in my head. i hope not because i paid a pretty dollar for the damn car i like the sound alot and cant wait till i get my exhaust system, but can anyone tell me what to do first either new pulleys or header? cause i was thinking about doint the whole exhaust all at once. sound good? also maybe i might not know how to drive right maybethats why i fill like i lost power. i dont know but damn

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2005, 01:18 AM   #2
zx34me
Focus Revolution

Fan#: 12063
What I Drive: 2000/zx3/infared/atx & 96 dodge neo

FF Reputation: 1 zx34me Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
is everything hitched up right maf and such and also did u unhitch your battery
Old 01-23-2005, 01:22 AM   #3
tunedfocuzx3
That Iowa Guy

Fan#: 11992
What I Drive: 02 Sonic Blue Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 13 tunedfocuzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
^ i agree try resetting your ecu
2002 Focus SVT #3533 - JRSC w/BBK

"Zombie kill of the week?"
Old 01-23-2005, 01:27 AM   #4
ampedout
Focus Addict

Fan#: 16956
What I Drive: White 00 SE Sedan Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 ampedout Good Standing Member
Lol, most erratic spelling ive seen in a while..

Take your time and look over your installation. Make sure all vacuum hoses are connected to the CIA pipe. Make sure all clamps are secure as well as your Filter. Your Mass Air Flow Sensor "MUST" me in correct.. Take it back out and install again.

Also, before unhooking your MAFS, disconnect it and undo your negative battery cable. Then hook up your MAFS and plug it in, once that is done, hook up your battery cable.

The AEM CIA was my first purchase and I noticed large gains. . My next was an Esslinger UDP and noticed a smaller gain but engine felt free'd up. I then purchased a MagnaFlow Cat Back exhaust and lost allot of low end power but gained allot of high end. (I can now go 80mph on cruise up hills without any drop in speed.. Maintain 78-80 the whole trip. And I work out of state. Put around 800 miles on my car a week.)

Lastly, I purchased my Screamin' Demon Coil and Wires. I noticed a much better idle and overall smooth acceleration. Not a great power gain, maybe 1 HP if that but a worth-while mod none-the-less.

I plan on turbo charging my Foci so my 2.25 exhaust will allow me to regain plenty of my low end power once im Force Inducted.

I would suggest fixing your AEM CIA cause you "SHOULD" feel a difference, if not, you lack seat-of-your-pants detection skills and would regret all other performance upgrades due to actual gain sense. But, it should be a bad install though on your CIA.

I would suggest an UDP and the Screamin' Demon pack/wires as your next two purchases. If you plan on staying Naturally Aspirated, I would then consider Adjustable Cam Gears and a Dyno Tune. Then a Aluminum Head for around 800 bucks and stage 2 Cams and a racing head gasket.

Its your choice on the exhaust. And Borla and MagnaFlow are your two better choices. If you want a deep sound and want to loose low end power get a cat back otherwise, wait till your N/A engine is roaring.

Then there's the easy way out by going with FI. Fast N/A engines are expensive and those who have them usually get more respect.

GL man, spend your money wisely and watch out what you buy on ebay.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:28 AM   #5
ampedout
Focus Addict

Fan#: 16956
What I Drive: White 00 SE Sedan Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 ampedout Good Standing Member
LOL by the time I composed my novel above, two others had posted. Boy you feel dumb when that happens. =)
Old 01-23-2005, 01:31 AM   #6
zx34me
Focus Revolution

its alright it happens to the best of us..... and welcome good bit of info u were puttin out there....
Old 01-23-2005, 01:42 AM   #7
dwdgsi03
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2298
What I Drive: 2000 Midship Runabout

FF Reputation: 1 dwdgsi03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Well, with a CAI you sacrifice a bit of torque on the low end in order to gain horsepower on the top end. Visa versa for the short ram.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:50 PM   #8
foc_this
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17666
What I Drive: 05 zx4 se sonic blue

FF Reputation: 2 foc_this Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
you know what i think thats what it is dwdgsi. just today i went on the freeway and realized i got some more response but noticed that the take off was little slower. and thanks to all the people who replied before i think im done im goin to go do what everyone was saying and go check my work
Old 01-23-2005, 06:25 PM   #9
Focus_sucoF
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2502
What I Drive: black zx5

FF Reputation: 1 Focus_sucoF Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
lemme ask you a ? that no one asked you....to you have an autotragic? if u do u shouldnt have a cai ur killing what bottom end you have. cai is only good for upper end speeds when air is able to make its way efficently up all the bends in the tubing. short ram if its setup right it will be just as good as a cai maybe even better bc u wont have to worry about getting up speed to force that air up into all that extra tubing it has alot shorter distance to go. and if u want a performance gain get a header if u have emmissions testing then get a 4-1 if not i reallllly recommend you getting a 4-2-1 header
Old 01-23-2005, 07:59 PM   #10
zx34me
Focus Revolution

Quote:
Originally posted by Focus_sucoF
lemme ask you a ? that no one asked you....to you have an autotragic? if u do u shouldnt have a cai ur killing what bottom end you have. cai is only good for upper end speeds when air is able to make its way efficently up all the bends in the tubing. short ram if its setup right it will be just as good as a cai maybe even better bc u wont have to worry about getting up speed to force that air up into all that extra tubing it has alot shorter distance to go. and if u want a performance gain get a header if u have emmissions testing then get a 4-1 if not i reallllly recommend you getting a 4-2-1 header
no, not true regarding the intake
i have an auto, i have had three intakes first a ractive short ram, then a mac short ram, now an iceman cai.
and the iceman by far has had the best gains.... the only way a short ram could be better than a cai for your car would be if you had no hood...pure and simple....
short rams stumble at low end ... its their trademark fault ..
so no matter what the cold air intake is better for any situation

Bookmarks & Social Networks