Lexan Windows - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
ShadowFocus603
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118448
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black SVT EAP 2Dr #1878

FF Reputation: 1 ShadowFocus603 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Lexan Windows

I feel lightening a car falls under performance so mods feel free to move if necessary. I'm trying to find out if anyone makes Lexan or polycarbonite windows for ZX3 style Foci. I found some kits from the UK awhile back but have since lost track of them. And I know about the Flexite kits but I am not a fan because A) they don't include door windows and B) I absolutely hate the way they plaster their logo all over the windows. I get it's your product but come on. Put a sticker in the box. Alternately I have the basic skills to cut and form the windows myself all I need to find is an oven big enough to form the curves. It'd be easier to keep them flat I know but I am trying to keep the car stock looking while lightening it as much as possible. I'll be adding carbon fiber fenders, hood, and hatch as funds allow. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
torpedan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 129930
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 torpedan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just to throw the idea out, as long as the car is not a daily driver in cold weather, you can also take a decent chunk of weight off by using a light weight battery. I have not run one in a Focus, but if I am remembering the model correctly I used to run an Odyssey PC680 in a Mazda I used to own. The battery weighs in at 15 lbs and in cold weather likely will not work well (I lived in Texas at the time so the battery worked for me year round).
Old 12-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I have a C/F hatch that's going on once (if) the warmer weather comes back. I'm not using glass. So I too was looking into Lexan.

What I found is that there are variants of plastic windows that are frowned upon and some that are very acceptable. That is, not all plastics are created equal.

http://www.regal-plastics.com/lexan.html

What I'd read, and can't find now, is that MR10 is preferred by racing sanctioning bodies. For the most part, I assume, because scratches create glare which creates 'I can't see shit' situation.

So that's what I'm buying.
Rumor has it my local glass shop deals in the stuff so that's where I'm buying it from. Haven't asked about price for a 4' x8' sheet yet. But I expect it to be in the low hundreds. I was thinking 1/4" thickness simply for rigidity and stock appearance. But I might go thinner. I have to hold it in my hand to see what I think.

So basically if you're doing this, you want Lexan MR10.

And C/F front fenders aren't worth it. They won't save any weight. Stock fenders are maybe 3#. Real light. Hatch and hood you'll save weight. Other than that it's removing parts.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
jinstall
Deutsche Arsche

Fan#: 9730
What I Drive: 01 ZX3RACECAR/04 ST170/13 FST2

FF Reputation: 4 jinstall Good Standing Member
FAL used to and someone through Summit Racing I think it was.
2013 Focus ST2 TS NAV SUNROOF-Hers
Old 12-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #5
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "Focus SVT".
Old 12-30-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
ShadowFocus603
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118448
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black SVT EAP 2Dr #1878

FF Reputation: 1 ShadowFocus603 Good Standing Member
Good to know on the MR10. The car will be daily driven (local laws may not like it but the whole 'what they dont know wont get me fined' scenario there) so a lightweight battery is out for the most part. I did find one of the Euro kits I had seen before and the prices look reasonable but I have no idea on quality, thicknesses, or overall rigidity of the windows.
http://www.acwmotorsportplastics.co....focus-mk1.html
On that kit to have the door windows hard coated plus the quarter and hatch windows tinted grey it comes to ~$500 shipped to the US with a 14-28 day lead time.
I saw a clip on Top Gear of a lightweight Renault vs a Focus (RS I think) and Clarkson could literally deform the rear hatch window with the pressure of a single finger, which is TOO thin by my own standards. My goals are simply to reduce weight and make better use of current HP while still maintaining full interior (might remove sound deadening and just use undercoat/bedliner material).
Also FAL are the ones who make the flexite panels and they are the ones who like to display their logo a little too dominantly on the windows.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/d...rd/model/focus

Bookmarks & Social Networks