grand prix? - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Drag Racing The place to discuss information about drag racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-10-2003, 07:58 PM   #21
NewFocusGuy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 797
What I Drive: '01 Monte Carlo

FF Reputation: 1 NewFocusGuy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by Thom
i don't think they were 'wide track' yet in 97. the thing is...even the new grand prix gtp supercharged with 260hp only runs low 15s... everybody who has one thinks they're fast though cause they're so heavy...kind of like people with v6 mustangs. but a 97 shouldn't be a high 16 second car at best...and with an automatic..probably mid 17s.
Having owned a '97 GT and being in the grand prix club for 2 years I have to reply....
the 97's were "wide track" grand prix's. The 97-03 GTP's had 240 HP and with a good launch run low-mid 14's, a good driver can keep up with or beat an auto mustang GT, with $100 in mods and a good driver you'll hit 13's. I know a ton of guys with low 13 second GP's that run with T/A's and SS's, I've seen a GP run 12.6 and I know the fastest GP runs 10.6 @ 130 non-nos'd so don't underestimate the gp's, if I had a choice I'd still have it...just my $.02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2003, 08:23 PM   #22
CowsGoMoo
Focus Addict

Fan#: 324
What I Drive: VW GLI 1.8Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 CowsGoMoo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by NewFocusGuy
Having owned a '97 GT and being in the grand prix club for 2 years I have to reply....
the 97's were "wide track" grand prix's. The 97-03 GTP's had 240 HP and with a good launch run low-mid 14's, a good driver can keep up with or beat an auto mustang GT, with $100 in mods and a good driver you'll hit 13's. I know a ton of guys with low 13 second GP's that run with T/A's and SS's, I've seen a GP run 12.6 and I know the fastest GP runs 10.6 @ 130 non-nos'd so don't underestimate the gp's, if I had a choice I'd still have it...just my $.02
As i said, my buddies gtp stock runs 14.7 and his cousin's sedan gtp runs a mid-high 13 with 600 dollars in mods.

My ZX5 Focus!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2003, 08:28 PM   #23
NewFocusGuy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 797
What I Drive: '01 Monte Carlo

FF Reputation: 1 NewFocusGuy Good Standing Member
What's their 60' times? I'm not saying EVERY Grand Prix is fast, but it's just like any other car some might be fast some might not be, but give credit where credit is due and don't knock on cars just because you don't drive one or like them personally
Old 12-13-2003, 11:30 AM   #24
R&DSVTZX5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1093
What I Drive: 2007 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V

FF Reputation: 1 R&DSVTZX5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm going to get beat by a stock 2000 Pontiac GTP right? I thought so, I've owned a 2002 GT, but there is no comparison between the two.

"Why ask, when the answer you hear is not what you wish to hear, nor the answer you were seeking?"
Old 12-13-2003, 01:06 PM   #25
97GPGTGuy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 2115
What I Drive: Grand Prix GT

FF Reputation: 1 97GPGTGuy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Thom
I don't think they were 'wide track' yet in 97. The thing is...even the new grand prix gtp supercharged with 260hp only runs low 15s... everybody who has one thinks they're fast though cause they're so heavy...kind of like people with v6 mustangs. But a 97 shouldn't be a high 16 second car at best...and with an automatic. Probably mid 17s.
Iíve never heard of a stock Grand Prix GT or GTP running mid 17s. Stock, if driven well, a 97-03 GTP should run mid 14s to 15 flat while a GT should run mid 15s to 16 flat. The Focus canít even compare to the GTP. The only comparable Focus is the SVT. A stock SVTF and stock GPGT would be a good match-up. All other stock Focus models should not be a challenge for any stock 97-04 Grand Prix.

Removed U-Bend, Thrasher CAI, ZZP HVTB (68mm), GM cat back exhaust, ER Rockers, RT 3" DP, Carsound hi-flo cat, ZZP 180 tstat
14.96 @ 92.69 w/ over 100K miles on the ticker
Old 12-14-2003, 11:19 AM   #26
R&DSVTZX5
Focus Fanatic

Looks like we got a Pontiac here, . I'll will just let you all know how my race goes. I just hope I win or not lose by much.

Let us know when you race that 97 GPGT in your focus.

"Why ask, when the answer you hear is not what you wish to hear, nor the answer you were seeking?"
Old 12-18-2003, 11:59 AM   #27
97GPGTGuy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 2115
What I Drive: Grand Prix GT

FF Reputation: 1 97GPGTGuy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by R&DSVTZX5
Looks like we got a Pontiac here, . I'll will just let you all know how my race goes. I just hope I win or not lose by much.

Let us know when you race that 97 GPGT in your focus.
Yep, Iím just trying to educate. It seems that so many are misinformed about the Grand Prix GT and GTP. It doesnít take much to get into the 13s with a GTP or 14s with a GT. The biggest restriction on a GP is the entire exhaust.

Thereís a guy on ClubGP with just exhaust work (Headers, DP, Cat back, Hi-Flo Cat, U-Bend removed) that is running 14.8. Oh, and he has a CAI.

Donít sleep on GPs.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:28 PM   #28
FOCUS_ZTS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 351
What I Drive: Focus Se Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 FOCUS_ZTS Good Standing Member
I played with a newer grand prix maybe 2000-2001. We went from the light and it was a little cold out so I had shitty wheel spin. I had to work the clutch but I ended up staying with him side by side right through to 4th. The front of our cars were dead even pretty much the whole time in the end he pulled up enough to be 2-3 feet ahead. So I was pretty happy with that. I think summer conditions and it would have been the other way around or better.

I may get a chance to see what the 2004 GT2 can do this summer my brother just picked one up the other day. I think I will walk all over him hard.............NOT...LOL.
Old 12-20-2003, 06:29 PM   #29
R&DSVTZX5
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by 97GPGTGuy
Yep, Iím just trying to educate. It seems that so many are misinformed about the Grand Prix GT and GTP. It doesnít take much to get into the 13s with a GTP or 14s with a GT. The biggest restriction on a GP is the entire exhaust.

Thereís a guy on ClubGP with just exhaust work (Headers, DP, Cat back, Hi-Flo Cat, U-Bend removed) that is running 14.8. Oh, and he has a CAI.

Donít sleep on GPs.
I had a 02 Pontiac GP GT it was stock. I did not own it long enough to know what it was capable of doing. I have beat a stock 00 GP GT at the track in a 1/8 mile. I'm not sure that I will be able to beat a 01 GTP.

Hey, I'm not stupid no need to boast on what I'm cable of beating in my SVTF, if you say that the GP GT and GTP are cable of getting in numbers like that then I believe you. I like a fair race, like any other. If I lose then I lose.

By the way Welcome to FF Forums.

Old 12-21-2003, 04:18 PM   #30
teddyrob
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1500
FF Reputation: 3 teddyrob Good Standing Member
donille i think youll smoke 'em

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.