How To: Make Your Own Shorty Antenna - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
How To: Make Your Own Shorty Antenna

Make Your Own Shorty Antenna

Tools Needed:

Pair of Pliers
Utility Knife
Hacksaw (or Pipecutter)
Metal File
Masking Tape

Instructions:

1 - Remove the antenna from the base, is unscrews (counterclockwise).

2 - Find out how short you want your antenna to be and place a piece of masking tape over the area to be cut. I used a utility knife (Razor Blade) to begin the cut on the shaft. The shaft is made of plastic or fiberglass and if you use some wire cutters or something like that, you could crack it or bend the shaft. I heard of people using a Dremel or something like that to cut it. A hacksaw works awesome to make the complete cut (what I recommend). Make sure to file down any sharp edges to leave a nicer, cleaner cut.

Then either.......

3 - Put the tip of the antenna (the part with the rubber end on it) in boiling water to soften up the tip. After a few minutes or so, it should slip off. You will more then likely have to use the pliers to 'push' the tip off the cut piece of the antenna shaft. DO NOT CLAMP down on the rubber tip, you will tear it up with the 'teeth' of the pliers trying to pull it off. Clamp down just below the rubber tip on the antenna shaft and using the side of the pliers, push the tip off. Don't worry about scratching or damaging up the actual antenna shaft (cause once you remove the rubber tip, that piece of the antenna shaft goes in the garbage).

4 - Put the removed tip back in some boiling water for a few minutes or so.

5 - Remove the tip from the boiling water and slide it back on the newly cut end of your antenna. This is the tricky part, depending on how low you cut the antenna down, the shaft tapers from the tip to the base so the shorter you go, the thicker the actual shaft is so it'll be harder to get the rubber tip on. Just takes some patience and time. The best thing to do is really boil the tip so it's really soft. Works awesome.

6 - Screw the modded shorty antenna back onto your car.

Or.........

3 - Go to the local hardware store and buy a bungie cord that straps down cargo, take a little rubber tip off.

4 - Get some crazyglue or some other adhesive and glue/slide it on the newly cut end of your antenna.

5 - Screw the modded shorty antenna back onto your car.

Reusing the stock antenna rubber tip is ideal and preferred. It will look alot better in the end.

Note:

Some people have said that their radio reception has gone down slightly from doing this mod. I have done this many many times and on my own car driving through the mountains up here in Canada, I lost ZERO reception. It was as if the full length antenna was still on my car. Some have said it does reduce the reception, I can't guarantee it but in my experience it hasn't changed it one bit.

'ShadyR' posted the following picture in my thread from a while back on how to add to the antennas range by leaving a coil of the wire twisted inside the rubber tip. The image below should explain it very clearly, another thing to add to the mod if you want. I haven't tried it myself but it'll work. I imagine though that it might be a bit more difficult to get the actual rubber tip back over the coiled wire but if you are worried about 'reception' you can try this also.

Also to add, the numbers in the picture above DON'T refer to the numbers in the HOW TO above.

Attached Images

Last edited by S2; 03-06-2007 at 05:37 PM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2005, 02:28 PM   #2
S2
Retired Fanatic

Just wanted to make a note that the antenna is filled with a fiberglass material so if you are alergic to it or it irritates you, I suggest you wear a pair of gloves when working with the cut end and during the cutting process.

Old 08-24-2005, 10:06 AM   #3
S2
Retired Fanatic

UPDATE

When it comes to the BOILING part, instead of boiling the antenna tip in water like on the stove, take a kettle, boil the water as if you were going to make tea or something, pour the boiling water into a cup and let the tip SIT in the boiling water for 5 minutes or so.

Apparently several members have had the shaft actually BREAK off cause the boiling constantly weakens the antenna shaft and causes the steel to fracture.

Try this technique instead. As well if you do run into problems with the tip, check out the autoparts stores for VACUUM PLUGS (CAPS) as they will fit on the antenna end perfectly.

EXAMPLE: SEE THREAD BELOW......

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...&postid=679506

Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks