What is your favorite tire brand? - Page 21 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: What is your favorite tire brand?
BFGoodrich 172 14.30%
Bridgestone 60 4.99%
Dunlop 39 3.24%
Pirelli 162 13.47%
Yokohama 120 9.98%
Michelin 90 7.48%
Kumho 126 10.47%
Falken 113 9.39%
Toyo 94 7.81%
Goodyear 93 7.73%
Nitto 23 1.91%
General 15 1.25%
Firestone 12 1.00%
Other (Please List) 84 6.98%
Voters: 1203. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2006, 07:14 PM   #201
MattZX3
Detailing Freak

Fan#: 30258
What I Drive: 2014 ford

Points 16,124, Level 81
Points: 16,124, Level: 81 Points: 16,124, Level: 81 Points: 16,124, Level: 81
Level Up 55% Completed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 23 MattZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
just got a new set of euros, they came with the stock conti-sport's.. a LOT better than the eagle rs-a tires i had on before.. even tho the conti's are worn more than the eagles were, they still handle better in the rain.. next year when i buy new tires for the euros... they will be the conti2 tires
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2006, 10:13 PM   #202
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

Points 4,147, Level 40
Points: 4,147, Level: 40 Points: 4,147, Level: 40 Points: 4,147, Level: 40
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 22 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
^^^just got a new set of euros as well, went with bfg g-force sports, and man what a difference from general exclaims. I hope I can survive the winter with them. The grip is awesome. Discount tire price matched and gave them to me for $92 each.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:44 AM   #203
MattZX3
Detailing Freak

Fan#: 30258
What I Drive: 2014 ford

Points 16,124, Level 81
Points: 16,124, Level: 81 Points: 16,124, Level: 81 Points: 16,124, Level: 81
Level Up 55% Completed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 23 MattZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
yea.. im trying to get another summer out of my conti's.. but i may go for the conti sport 2.. im not driving on these rims in the winter/snow.. so summer tires are what i'll be rockin!
Old 05-04-2006, 11:24 AM   #204
scorpio1118_2000
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11418
What I Drive: 2007 pitchblack zx4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 scorpio1118_2000 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have Falken ziex ze 512s and they are better than the p6s they replaced and i got the wheels to match I love these tires Im still pretty much stock and you can really tell the difference and for the price its the best tire for me
Old 05-07-2006, 02:39 AM   #205
Peregrine
I.S.A.I.K.I.

Fan#: 6009
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver SVT, '11 Mazda CX-9

FF Reputation: 112 Peregrine Excellent Standing Member Peregrine Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
I have Fuzion ZRi's and love 'em to death!
Old 05-10-2006, 10:29 AM   #206
bonejob
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32065
What I Drive: 2006 Pitch Black ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 9 bonejob Good Standing Member
I have had the most consistent good luck with Pirelli. For instance, I got 70,000 miles out of a set of P4s on an '89 VW Golf. I owned a previous set of P6s on a '99 Jetta and was very pleased with their performance and durability, too. I don't know about the current model year, but for several years Pirelli was OEM supplier for Porsche. If they are good enough for Porsche, they are good enough for my Ford Focus. What's more, they are priced much more attractively than say, Michelins.

I like Continentals, too. They perform and last very well. My only complaint about them was that the tread patterns made a lot of noise on typical Third World-quality American roads. Siped and grooved pavements made an especially obnoxious whirring sound, much louder than the Pirellis I used on the same car after them.

But I would also like to say that Goodyears are CRAP!

My '99 Jetta came from the VW dealer with Goodyears. The tread started separating at 16,000 miles! One Goodyear tire store refused any responsibility at all, citing "tire abuse," claiming that I must have been racing the car with them. Preposterous! Unless you count normal urban freeway combat commuting as "racing." Another Goodyear dealer claimed that this was "normal" tire life expectancy. HUH??? The tire warranty was for 40,000 miles and somehow I am supposed to therefore take 16,000 miles as "normal"? Did I come in with "IDIOT" tattooed on my forehead? DOH!!! Another Goodyear dealer also claimed it was "normal wear" but offered to pro-rate the difference between 16,000 and 40,000 miles on some new tires.

My position was that the tires weren't just worn. The treads were actually separating from the bodies of the tires. That is a manufacturing defect. I SHOULD GET NEW TIRES!

"NO WAY!", says Goodyear. Goodyear's customer service offered nothing. So I went back to VW and bitched at them for installing these pieces of yak dung on my car in the first place. Ultimately the VW dealer split the cost of new tires with VW of America; I got a new set of free Bridgestone Potenzas, which turned out to be quite decent tires - quiet riding with good performance even in wet and snow/ice. (My only concern with them initially was Bridgestone's association with Firestone; I wouldn't trust Firestones on my lawn tractor.)

My hat is off to VW and my VW dealer for being willing to go the extra mile to take care of me, despite that technically, their warranty did not cover the tires (nor does anyone else's, for that matter). The service manager at the VW dealer told me later that they had been having many, many problems with the OEM Goodyear tires, and many problems getting Goodyear to own up to them! So VW fired them and started installing Michelins as their main OEM tire.

I find it a bit ironic that the VW Jetta, sold as a somewhat premium-priced small sedan (not BMW 3-series premium, but certainly higher-buck than Ford Focus) was coming with cheap-ass Goodyear skins while my bargain-basement Focus came stock with sweet Pirelli P-6s. (The nice stock rubber kind of compensates for the low-tech wimpy-assed rear drum brakes, which nevertheless work much better than they look.)

These P6s underscore for me what I have come to love about my Ford Focus. In order to keep pricing low, Ford cheaped out in such things as interior plastics, exterior trim, body sound insulation, rear drum brakes etc. But the basics and then some are there. Very sweet-sounding and willing (if not super powerful) twin-cam 4-cylinder. Excellent 5-speed transmission. Good pedal placement for heel-and-toe shifting. Excellent visibility in all quarters. Very good road manners, even in base form, helped no doubt by their putting in a proper independent rear end. Excellent steering weight and feedback. Excellent factory sound system (Sony/Audiophile - beats the crap out of what VW puts in $30,000 GTIs). Solid body structure. Comfortable seats. Effective, if low-tech, brakes, with good pedal feel. Premium-class Pirelli rubber. Lots of factory-supported and sanctioned aftermarket racing and performance bits. And from what I've seen from all the seven-year-old Foci I see skittering around Madison, WI, they don't turn into rust buckets prematurely (If they don't biodegrade here in the Road Salt Capital of the World, they should last years and years elsewhere).

Clearly, somebody at Ford - for at least a short golden time - actually cared about making a driver's car for the hoi polloi.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:57 PM   #207
cassa
d u c k lover

Fan#: 27034
What I Drive: black 2000 Altima gxe /sexy beast

FF Reputation: 48 cassa Great Standing Member
i like michelin....i've bought those for years.

i know a lot of people like continentals...but i had them once and all the belts shifted on them...and the whole tire tread became wavy. maybe they were just lemons.
randomies lover#1
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyrob View Post
hi carleen from effin joisee
Old 05-13-2006, 03:05 PM   #208
01blackwagon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12870
What I Drive: 2003 infra red 3 door svtf

FF Reputation: 1 01blackwagon Good Standing Member
yoko parada!!!
Old 05-14-2006, 11:08 PM   #209
2002red
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34302
What I Drive: 2002 red sedan

FF Reputation: 3 2002red Good Standing Member
I have had really good luck with a set of Avon tech M550 a/s tires - 205/45-r17. Excellent wet and dry traction.

Also recommend BF Goodrich Traction TA - 195/60-r15. Also good wet and dry traction.
Zetec Crew #83
02 sedan ---> now an SC'd se. Now intercooled 201whp & 186wtq on 93 octane

Hey -- we don't know nothing about kids. So if you need something... Find it yourself. Or better yet, learn to do without.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:34 PM   #210
sparbanie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25693
What I Drive: 2007 InfraRed ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 1 sparbanie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I got to say Dunlop A2 Sports for me those things were excellent around corners, dry, and snow, and wet so pretty much anything lol

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.