2012 Yellow Blaze Titanium - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
boombots
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 130266
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 boombots Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 Yellow Blaze Titanium

Bought my first "car" last week. 2012 focus titanium hatch. All of the options except active park assist. It has 12k miles. This is my third ford. My last d.d. was a 1997 explorer sport. I also currently own a 1994 f150 that is mid rebuild. I love the car.

I didn't get a "great" deal but I felt it was fair. I had sold my car and loved this one (only yellow blaze I could find). It has been lemon lawed due to 3 dealership trips for MFT. The APIM was replaced and all updated before it was resold. It works perfect so far. The dealer used it as a run around car for 6k miles in the few months they had it without any issues. Only concern I have is it seemed to enter some kind of limp mode when I tried to "show off" the car acceleration. I had to turn the car off and on to get it to run right again.

Future plans are to add an air intake, a tune, black out the grill trim and fog light bezels. I may also black out my focus and titanium badges. Wouldn't mind swapping the black A pillars from the ST interior into my focus. I am iffy on an exhaust. My explorer started to get annoying with the noise on a daily basis. If anything I may look at a stock ST exhaust swap or something.

I tossed in pics of my old explorer I just sold and my project truck as well. It is all torn apart awaiting new paint...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	focus new 2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	24002  

Name:	focus new 3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	24010  

Name:	focus new.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	24018  

Name:	2013-03-05174153_zps5b28015c.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	24034  

Attached Images

Mods: K&N Typhoon, ST exhaust, SCT tune by Tom

-Vince

Last edited by boombots; 01-02-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Ti HB w/Handling Package

FF Reputation: 43 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)

Congrats on the Ti! I find it moderately amusing that the car was 'Lemon'ed' due to MFT while so many people are distraught over their DCT issues and can't get resolution. But it sounds like you did well enough.

When you say that it seemed to enter limp mode, what exactly happened? Some members have had theirs basically lose all acceleration and power to the point that they had to pull over and restart it. It sounds like that's what happened to you and the bad news is that there hasn't been any identifiable cause as to why. The good news, on the other hand, is that those that have had it happen have generally only experienced it once.

Make sure you check out the Regional Forums-we've been trying to reinject some life back into the NC Focus scene. Once the weather warms back up the meets will probably start up again as well

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
Hatch Nation #161
Old 12-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
boombots
Focus Enthusiast

Thank you! Glad to be part of the forum.

I agree on the lemon law. It was not a mechanical issue so I was not concerned. It only had 3 dealer visits on log. I think the owner probably just needed out and knew someone. Works flawlessly (knock on wood). My dct works great as well, unlike the last 2012 I test drove which would chirp tire every time you pulled out because it would engage so harshly. I am looking forward to the improvement the tune will make.

Also, what you explained is exactly what happened. It felt like it was moving with only 2 cylinders powering the car. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. Cars do goofy things. My explorer stalled 3 times when I owned it. Just random flukes I suppose. Not overly concerned unless it happens again soon.

I'll head over to that forum and check it out. These meets will be a little different than I'm used to. Coming from a 4x4 our meets usually consisted of mud and trails but I am looking forward to meeting up none the less!

-Vince
Old 12-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
boombots
Focus Enthusiast

Ordered a K&N intake. Looking forward to "performance" oriented mods as it wasn't worth it on the explorer. Those mods were more offroad mods.

Excited to hear this intake growl everyone talks about. Small added power/mpg would be nice too. I've always been from the school that an intake doesn't do much but i've seen a lot of dyno graphs that show otherwise on the focus. I guess I will see soon enough...

-Vince
Old 01-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #5
boombots
Focus Enthusiast

K&N intake is in. Sounds awesome. Couldn't really open it up to test the ol' butt dyno out because it is snowing and finding traction can be a challenge. Anyone who has these pilot sports and lives anywhere cold knows what I am talking about...

-Vince
Old 01-02-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 21 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boombots View Post
K&N intake is in. Sounds awesome. Couldn't really open it up to test the ol' butt dyno out because it is snowing and finding traction can be a challenge. Anyone who has these pilot sports and lives anywhere cold knows what I am talking about...
You most certainly should buy a set of winter wheels and tires, those Pilot Sport tires are a summer high performance tire and are not recommended to be used when the weather is below 40F due to the rubber compounds in the tire hardening at those temperatures which makes finding traction much more difficult. That would solve part of your traction issues in this weather.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
boombots
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
You most certainly should buy a set of winter wheels and tires, those Pilot Sport tires are a summer high performance tire and are not recommended to be used when the weather is below 40F due to the rubber compounds in the tire hardening at those temperatures which makes finding traction much more difficult. That would solve part of your traction issues in this weather.
I totally agree. I live in Charlotte, NC and can get away with them there. I am just up here for the holidays visiting family. Next tires will be a little more all season friendly. I think I may skip winter tires and drive my truck when it is snowy out. After all that was one reason I picked it up.

-Vince
Old 01-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #8
Yellow-ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6163
What I Drive: 2005 Saleen N2O #87

FF Reputation: 3 Yellow-ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
good looking ride.....i do the same thing with mine. when the weather is bad out i drive the beast to work cause i dont really care what happens to it cause it is beat up anyway, haha.
2005 Saleen N2O #87
1993 Chevy Silverado 4x4
2013 Taurus SHO

2011 Flightline Comp 29er
Old 01-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #9
yellowfocusstman
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103626
What I Drive: 2013 Tangerine Scream Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 yellowfocusstman Good Standing Member
Very nice
Moonroof
Window Tint
Old 01-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #10
boombots
Focus Enthusiast

Ok, update time:

K&N intake installed. I love the sound, and it seemed a bit more responsive at high RPMs.

I also had a tune installed by Tom at focus power and man, its like a new car. I picked up about 20 whp and 18 ft/lbs according to the dyno. It pulls harder now no doubt. Highly recommend it to anyone. I am going to have him bump my rev limit to 7400 I think.

Today I picked up a stock ST exhaust system for 190 bucks with only 1100 miles on it. I am pumped to get that baby on there and have it re-tuned to account for that.

-Vince

Bookmarks & Social Networks