Weight Loss Equivalent HP - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #31
TexasFoCi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118867
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 2 TexasFoCi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Your right, those rules of thumb are all relative.
Weight is a variable, and HP is a variable, in an estimated equation for Acceleration.

Lets say it be" LB per HorsePower" EXAMPLE
CAR 1
2000 lb Car / 200 HP = 10lb per HP
1750 lb Car/ 200 HP = 8.75lb per HP (difference of 1.25 LB per HP)
CAR 2
2000 lb Car / 300 HP = 6.66 lb per Horse Power
1750 lb Car/ 300 HP = 5.83 lb per Horse Power (difference of .83 LB per HP)

Car 1 will have a significant increase in acceleration after loosing weight compared to car 2 because of it's Specific Power (Lbs per HP). Look how much car 1 lost compared to car 2. Because horse power is measuring how much of something we can move in a time period , this "specific power" we calculate is a direct correlation to acceleration.

and by the way, you can increase HP by loosing weight, I bought a school bus and took the seats out, it looks to be altleast 800 HP now, I'll let every one know when I get it runnning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #32
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
^^ is not HP U.S. / standard metric converted from KilloWatts? 1 HP = 745.7 watts
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 12-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #33
2.0 L
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102780
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black SAP

FF Reputation: 1 2.0 L Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
My wife thinks I'm going on a special diet because I'm reading up on how to lose weight. Ha ha. XD
Old 12-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #34
TexasFoCi
Focus Enthusiast

Yea, your right Magnus thats one measurment of it, but it was Originally formulated by some dude with a steam engine and comparing it to rotations of Horses turning a Wheel in an hour or minute or something like that.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #35
Romans5.8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119488
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 4 Romans5.8 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierceintent View Post
I heard for every 200lbs less you gain 1mpg. REad it somewhere on the interwebs. Sounds significant enough to improve track times tho! Alos if you want to save weight just fill your tank 1/2. lol Also the best way to lose weight in your car is to lose weight yourself. Every see those jocky riders? The reason why they are short and so small is to win!
The glaring issue with those hard and fast rules is that, first, they are bunk. Second, every vehicle is different. 18 wheelers, for example, get 7mpg. Whether or not they have a load! The properties of the engines and designs of the trucks means that going down the highway, they are getting the same gas mileage whether they have tons and tons of heavy material behind them, or nothing. If the 200 lbs = 1mpg thing were true, removing the trailer would net them.. well let's see, a 20-30k pound trailer, remove it and you're at 132mpg!!

It would also mean that a passenger could easily equal 1mpg and that when you go on a vacation with 4 or 5 people in the car + luggage you should be down SEVERAL mpg! Which usually isn't the case.

Weight definitely helps MPG but in no hard-and-fast way. Where the weight is removed matters too. Lighter wheels help in more way than one, for example, because it takes less energy to spin them around at speed! There's a tremendous amount of power used just to spin your engine, transmission, brake rotors, wheels, and tires, BEFORE any of that power starts propelling you forward. Reducing how much of that waste you have (which, by the way, is one of the reasons manual transmissions are a smidge quicker than conventional automatics- better power transfer) will work wonders in freeing up horsepower and improving MPG's.

Things like carbon fiber hoods are, mostly, for looks. Go on a diet for a couple of weeks and you can get the same weight gains just by reducing the weight of the driver. Honestly if you were that set into cutting down weight, there are a ton of free ways to do it. Remove seats, stereo equipment, drill holes where you can and cut out any unnecessary sheet metal. Remove the spare tire. Maybe go really crazy and remove the A/C! You could get some pretty serious real-world gains in down-the-track speed and miles per gallon for almost no money doing that, if you wanted to go crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
It's imaginary no matter how you try to swing it.

If your car weighs 2800lb and dynos at 110whp, it's still going to have 110whp if it weighs 2300lb.

There is no actual, physical way to turn weight loss into horsepower. It doesn't happen. If you think it does, then you are fooling yourself. It is the epitome of what you might call "Ricer Logic."
He's talking about a 'horsepower equivalent', not actual horsepower. Look at it this way, if he adds 'X' horsepower, it'll improve his 0-60 and quarter mile times by X amount. What he is doing here, is finding out how much weight needs to be removed in order to get the exact same 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times. So (and this is all made up!) let's say you take a car that does a 15.0 second quarter mile. Add 100 horsepower, and it does a 14.0 second quarter mile. Don't add 100 horsepower, but reduce the weight by 1500 pounds, and it still does a 14.0 second quarter mile. Thus, one could say that removing 1500 pounds from the car was equivalent to adding 100 horsepower. It didn't actually add horsepower, but it DID improve the performance of the car proportionally and netted the same results. For people wanting to compare their cars to others, it's a useful equation. If you could remove several hundred pounds from your stock car, you could have a better idea of how it compares to other stock cars.
2011 Honda Shadow Aero, Candy Red (Wife's Bike)
Old 12-31-2013, 12:09 AM   #36
TexasFoCi
Focus Enthusiast

It's just a Formula to play around. Kinda like Gee WHiz!!! IT's intersting to find out that A focus with 250 WHeel HP will go head to head with a 2 TON, 2011 V8 Challenger RT
Old 01-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #37
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
SO, let me get this straight: This formula is imaginary and not real?

Like I was saying...

There's no doubt that losing weight in a car improves its performance, but there is absolutely no way to formulate this into an accurate translation of adding REAL horsepower. Physics aren't that simple and horsepower is a non-constant variable that changes with elevation, air temperature, humidity, fuel quality, etc etc etc.

If you use this formula, you are a moron. It's this kind of stuff they teach in Ricer 101 along with decal placement and FWD rear-spoiler installation.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #38
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFoCi View Post
It's just a Formula to play around. Kinda like Gee WHiz!!! IT's intersting to find out that A focus with 250 WHeel HP will go head to head with a 2 TON, 2011 V8 Challenger RT
I'll just take the hp=srt8 470hp w/ the 2tons. For me its easier to add hp & grunt to a DD then remove weight. My wife is at 94lbs vs 106lbs, so is the foci faster now? LOL
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 01-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #39
TexasFoCi
Focus Enthusiast

Listen Flanders,

This equation is dead on and is a direct correlation of how your car will respond to have less weight, compared to more horsepower. We are talking about Horsepower so do not confuse it fort 1/4 mile times or how fast you are.

But I will explain to you the difference in full detail. The variables you say elevation, air temperature, humidity, fuel quality. Let me explain.
when calculating HP the Auto industry and everyone else using a dyno(supposed to) we use a standard temp and pressure of 29.92HG and 60 degrees F. created by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). THis is also assuming 0 humidity which has little difference anyway. SO the pressure and temp stay the same. But if they don't it doesn't change the Equation. High octane fuel is just put in for whatever the engine is designed or tuned for. If you put 93 Octane in a stock Zx3, your not going to get any more power.

Besides the point We are using this calculation based on a WHeel HP we are given.

If you even looked or comprehended the equation I originally gave you, you would understand that you can put any amount of horsepower into the equation , because your using the same HP number to calculate it before and after the weight gain or loss in the car.

This is very simple but you don't get it. I'm not into name calling and I'm not her to have a pissing contest with you, but you are wrong about many things. Lets get some facts straight.

WE are talking about: LB's per Horsepower.
If we have calculating Horsepower at the wheels, and its 300HP
It doesn't matter what the temp and pressure is because its already figured in. ; ) SPECIFIC POWER = WEIGHT OF CAR / HORSE POWER ( :

and again this forumula is for Horsepower and Equivalent Horsepower'
KNOWN to any Enginer as " Specific Power" (lb to HP)

The only Major variable of how fast you are, after you know you specific power, is getting the power efficiently to the ground. AWD, Tire size, Type, this is the reason a rear wheel drive car is faster than a FWD Car, Power to the ground, that is it. It is the ONLY Variable of Acceleration after you have determined specific power. (besides the driver)

THis "accurate translation of adding REAL horsepower" I already posted it. All it is simply doing is comparing your new and old "specific Power". Do you understand? I didn't think so. You are either nowhere close to understanding simple math or you are just totally messing with me to make me write all of this. I hope it is the latter.

P.S. IF they tought you this in your Ricer 101 class, at least they got one thing right.
"Just Tellin Ya how it is BRO!" lol

Last edited by TexasFoCi; 01-02-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #40
TexasFoCi
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
I'll just take the hp=srt8 470hp w/ the 2tons. For me its easier to add hp & grunt to a DD then remove weight. My wife is at 94lbs vs 106lbs, so is the foci faster now? LOL
I never said SRT, But if I had $50,000 there is no way I would buy one. But that head to head with an R/t is at normal weight of a focus. Come on, that is pretty cool to go that fast for what these cars cost.

Bookmarks & Social Networks