Tips on removing header heat shield? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-12-2005, 04:58 PM   #11
jaykirs
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13947
What I Drive: 2004 Infra-Red ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 jaykirs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That Jet-Hot is some amazing stuff! It not only looks super nice but it's functional as well in that it helps disipate heat faster and helps keep under-hood temps lower too. ALSO, the header will NEVER rust and will probably out-last the car :-)
04 SVTF #204 of 1978
SVT Squad #66

Understeer scares the driver, oversteer scares the passenger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2005, 06:50 PM   #12
revamp
Cashed in my chips

Fan#: 8133
What I Drive: notafocus

FF Reputation: 4 revamp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
well shucks....

I just can't stand the bare-metal that is quickly getting corrosion-type stains on it being displayed prominently in my otherwise-pristine engine compartment. Looks like it will be more trouble than it's worth to take it out, though...

Maybe I can mask really well and spray what is viewable....I'm afraid that would end up looking like crap, though...
Old 01-12-2005, 10:52 PM   #13
SVT_BMXer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
yea ive had the same problem and have wanted to paint for awhile aswell. i couldnt get it off so i masked around it and sprayed as best i could. let it dry overnite and drove it the next day and could smell burning paint, it seems to be gradually going away, i hoping becuase the paint is curing but i wish i hadnt done it in the first place. If you do it i hope it turns out better than mine.

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
Old 01-13-2005, 07:35 AM   #14
shadyninja
Banned

Fan#: 11464
What I Drive: fast

FF Reputation: 1 shadyninja Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by revamp
well shucks....

I just can't stand the bare-metal that is quickly getting corrosion-type stains on it being displayed prominently in my otherwise-pristine engine compartment. Looks like it will be more trouble than it's worth to take it out, though...

Maybe I can mask really well and spray what is viewable....I'm afraid that would end up looking like crap, though...
It could be polished?

I bet that would work....Ill give you a link to buy some stuff revamp..pm me
heres my motorcycle the frame was painted till I polished it
Old 01-14-2005, 06:11 AM   #15
focusfab
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13166
What I Drive: 04 COMP ORANGE SVTF ZX3 Euro package

FF Reputation: 1 focusfab Good Standing Member
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by shadyninja
It could be polished?

I bet that would work....Ill give you a link to buy some stuff revamp..pm me
I dont think that would work unless you plan on plating it after such as chrome. As our heatsheilds are made of electrogalvinized steel and they will rust if you remove the electrogalv. finish and polish it. your Motorcycle frame is aluminum and wont rust it will just oxydize if you dont keep up with the maint.
PERF. MODS. AEM shortram Intake,FastForward Idle Air restrictor,magnaflow catback,Hyperground system,Hypervoltage system/MR,Hypervoltage system/GT,ford racing STS,Eibach prokit,springs,pro dampers,anti roll kit,focussport strut tower/shock tower bars,Nitto Neogen Tires
Old 01-14-2005, 06:35 AM   #16
focusfab
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13166
What I Drive: 04 COMP ORANGE SVTF ZX3 Euro package

FF Reputation: 1 focusfab Good Standing Member
Lightbulb

Hey I have an idea,Ive been thinkin about my heatshield and figured I would order one(cheap) from my buddy who is a parts guy at ford. then jethot coat it or get it chromed. Then when you take it off you have the revamped part ready to go
PERF. MODS. AEM shortram Intake,FastForward Idle Air restrictor,magnaflow catback,Hyperground system,Hypervoltage system/MR,Hypervoltage system/GT,ford racing STS,Eibach prokit,springs,pro dampers,anti roll kit,focussport strut tower/shock tower bars,Nitto Neogen Tires

Last edited by focusfab; 01-14-2005 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:42 AM   #17
shadyninja
Banned

its a real ...real tight fit you might mess up the chrome..Id take my chances with the hi temp paint..
Old 01-14-2005, 07:58 AM   #18
brawls43
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11151
What I Drive: An Orange EAP

FF Reputation: 3 brawls43 Good Standing Member
I'd recommend the jet hot coating over chrome. Chrome will discolor, which can look cool, depending on how it gets heated. But I'd vote against the 600 deg paint, as exhaust gases can hit between 1500-1700 deg F under high load conditions. This is when headers and exhaust manifolds start to glow. So even if you only drive your car hard every once in awhile, the high temp paint won't last. Focusfab's idea about buying an extra and getting it coated then replaced sounds like the way to go. Then if he's real ambitious he could get the other coated once removed and sell it here or on ebay.
SVT Squad #225
Old 01-14-2005, 09:16 AM   #19
shadyninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by brawls43
I'd recommend the jet hot coating over chrome. Chrome will discolor, which can look cool, depending on how it gets heated. But I'd vote against the 600 deg paint, as exhaust gases can hit between 1500-1700 deg F under high load conditions. This is when headers and exhaust manifolds start to glow. So even if you only drive your car hard every once in awhile, the high temp paint won't last. Focusfab's idea about buying an extra and getting it coated then replaced sounds like the way to go. Then if he's real ambitious he could get the other coated once removed and sell it here or on ebay.
ok dont make the same mistake I did ...the heat sheild is what we are talking about..not the header !!
Old 01-14-2005, 09:22 AM   #20
brawls43
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11151
What I Drive: An Orange EAP

FF Reputation: 3 brawls43 Good Standing Member
Yes, I know. But my point was if the header can see around 1500 deg F, that the heat shield could easily see temps over 600 deg F up into the 1000's.
SVT Squad #225

Bookmarks & Social Networks