battery light and ground problems - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-19-2005, 10:36 AM   #1
natdog
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 16916
What I Drive: 2000 Dirt ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 natdog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy battery light and ground problems

First off, let me say that changing the alternator in my 2000 zx3 was the hardest alternator I have ever had to change....

But anyways, I have had the battery light on for some time now and my original battery just straight up died. Had that replaced and then the alternator started dieing. The alternator was up around 16 volts and only about 20 amps when I realized it. Kind of sad isnt it.

So I changed the alternator and no more dimming. However, the battery light is still on and I am going to have my new alternator and battery tested today to see if the bad alternator screwed up my new battery.

I'm pretty sure they are going to check out fine and that leads me to my questions. I'm thinking it might be a ground problem in the car. I've upgraded the big 3 grounds since i have a audio system in the car (although its no longer connected until i figure out what the problem is) and the battery cables seem to be ok, although some of them have a little insulation that has torn off close to the terminals. I've greased those up so they dont rust but they are still a little loose. I think they are ok though.

So, does anyone know where ALL the grounds are in the car or will a manual show where they are? Also, has someone done this already and figured out which ground is most likely the culprit? I also thought that maybe the charging system test in the car might be screwed up, like one of the wires is loose or has a short and so the car thinks the charging system isnt working even though it is. Has that happened to anyone?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Bookmarks & Social Networks