TSB for SVT - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-12-2005, 11:45 AM   #1
dgualtie

Fan#: 15238
What I Drive: 03 IR SVT

FF Reputation: 1 dgualtie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
TSB for SVT

i took my svt in about a week back for the TSB. They ordered a new slave cylinder, but they told me they dont know if i qualify for a new clutch as they dont know how much wear is on the clutch. They said they would check the wear and if there is an excess amount of wear they would replace the clutch. so as of now the only thing they are going to replace is the slave cylinder. Does that sound right to all of you that have had the TSB done?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2005, 11:48 AM   #2
Rory
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15290
What I Drive: 03' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Rory Good Standing Member
How do I know if that TSB has been serviced on my car? Mine is a 2003

R.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:52 AM   #3
dgualtie

not all SVT's need the TSB done. the TSB is for a rattle in the tranny or trouble shifting caused by the slave cylinder. I am not sure if you are the first owner or not. if you are the first owner you would know if you had it done. if you are not you can try by checking with the dealership. they might be able to help you
SVT squad #7
Old 01-12-2005, 11:56 AM   #4
Lupuri
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12064
What I Drive: 03 SVTF, 13 ST

FF Reputation: 1 Lupuri Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The slave cylinder is for the updated clutch IIRC. Im not sure the slave cylinder would work with the smaller diameter stock clutch.

TSBs arent recalls, they are guidelines on repairs for common problems with certain areas of vehicles. So you cant be sure TSBs are done.....also, dont mention that the vehicle has a TSB when you go to the dealer, as TSBs are not upgrades to vehicles, unless they have an ailment that falls in the guidelines of the TSB.

TSB - Technical Service Bulletin
89 Mustang LX (it's really white)
13 Focus ST
Old 01-12-2005, 11:57 AM   #5
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Contact your dealer to find out if TSB's have been performed. They keep a record.

As for the original question, that sounds a lot like what my dealer was doing to me - the first time I went in, they replaced the slave cylinder and the throwout bearing. It didn't fix the problem (rattling noise) and I went back a few weeks later armed with a printout of the very latest TSB concerning the issue and that got results (that time they replaced pretty much everything else inside the bellhousing).

Were you experiencing the noise, or were you having problems with the clutch? Either way I can almost guarantee just replacing the slave cylinder isn't going to fix anything.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:11 PM   #6
dgualtie

i have the noise and when i took my car in they (dealership) told me it is the slave cylinder that was causing the rattle. they seemed defensive that i was questioning if i should be getting a new clutch. It seemed to me after searching around FF that every body who had the TSB done got a new clutch eventually and that just the slave cylinder would not fix it. so i am trying to gather as much info as i can so that why when i drop my car off i know as much as possible.
SVT squad #7
Old 01-12-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
SVT4ME

Do you have the text of the TSB? Print it out, take it to them, and point to where RIGHT ON THE TSB it says to replace the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, etc, with new revised parts - it doesn't specify if those parts should be replaced *only* if they show wear, it says to replace all those parts if the conditions described in the TSB title (noise at idle, premature clutch wear) are present, period. And you have a rattle, so there you go, the condition is present.

TSB 04-21-19 TRANSAXLE NOISE AT IDLE IN NEUTRAL WITH CLUTCH PEDAL RELEASED - PREMATURE CLUTCH WEAR
Publication Date: October 20, 2004

FORD: 2002-2004 Focus
This article supersedes TSB 04-12-02 to update the service procedure.
ISSUE:
Some 2002-2004 SVT Focus vehicles may exhibit premature clutch wear, or a clunking and rattling noise in the transaxle, mainly at idle in neutral. The noise can typically be reduced by fully depressing the clutch pedal. The premature clutch wear or noise may be caused by the dual mass flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate or by transaxle alignment.

ACTION:
Refer to the following Service Procedure.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

Check transaxle fluid level. If low, fill to correct level and retest for noise and proper clutch operation. If noise is still present or clutch is not operating properly proceed to Step 2.

Remove the transaxle. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 308-03C: Manual Transaxle/Transmission - MT285; Removal.
Inspect the clutch slave cylinder assembly as follows:

Inspect for leaks.
Rotate the outer race, while applying pressure and check for roughness.
Inspect for any surface scoring or burrs that may impede the sliding motion of the clutch release hub and bearing. Scoring or burrs should be polished off with a fine grade of emery paper.

Replace the clutch slave cylinder if necessary. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 308-02B: Clutch Controls - MT285/MTX75 Transaxle - Clutch Slave Cylinder.

Inspect the transaxle input shaft for damage, spline wear, burrs or rough surfaces. Scoring or burrs should be polished off with a fine grade of emery paper. Replace the transaxle if the input shaft is damaged and cannot be repaired.

NOTE: IT IS NORMAL FOR THE INPUT SHAFT TO APPEAR POLISHED WHERE THE CLUTCH HUB SEATS, NO ACTION IS REQUIRED UNLESS THE SPLINES ARE DAMAGED OR WORN.
Remove the clutch disc, pressure plate and flywheel. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 308-01C; Clutch - MT285 Transaxle - Removal and Installation - Clutch Disc and Pressure Plate.

Inspect the rear face of the engine block as follows:

Ensure that the two (2) required engine dowel pins are installed and are not damaged. If the dowel pins are missing or damaged replace as required.

Inspect the corresponding dowel pin holes on the transaxle. It is acceptable for the dowel pin holes to bear slight witness marks from a tight fitting dowel. However, if the holes are elongated then they must be measured. If elongation is greater than 0.040" (1.02 mm) out-of-round replace the transaxle.

Inspect the upper and lower separator plates for damage or warping. Replace if needed.
Inspect the crankshaft flange and flywheel mating surface for residual thread locking compound or rust. Clean as necessary.

Install the following new revised components:

NOTE: THE REVISED FLYWHEEL, CLUTCH DISC AND PRESSURE PLATE ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH PRODUCTION LEVEL CLUTCH COMPONENTS. DO NOT INTERCHANGE OR MIX.
Revised dual mass flywheel and new flywheel retaining bolts. Torque bolts in sequence to 83 lb-ft (112 N-m).

Revised pressure plate and clutch disc, and new clutch pressure plate retaining bolts. Ensure the clutch disc is properly installed with "TRANS SIDE" label facing the pressure plate. Tighten pressure plate bolts two (2) turns at a time in sequence and torque to 21 lb-ft (29 N-m).

Install transaxle. Torque the transaxle bolts in sequence to 35 lb-ft (48 N-m) to ensure proper transaxle to engine block alignment. Refer to the appropriate model year Workshop Manual Section 308-03C; Manual Transaxle/Transmission - MT285 - Installation.

NOTE: THE TRANSAXLE BOLTS COME IN FOUR (4) UNIQUE LENGTHS AND WILL FIT INTO ANY OF THE THROUGH HOLES OF THE TRANSAXLE TO ENGINE BLOCK. IT IS CRITICAL THAT THE PROPER LENGTH BOLT IS INSTALLED INTO ITS PROPER MATING HOLE.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
2M5Z-7002-BD Transaxle
2M5Z-7A564-AA Slave Cylinder
4M5Z-7550-AA Clutch Disk
4M5Z-7563-AA Pressure Plate
3S4Z-6477-AA Flywheel
W702426-S303 Bolt - Pressure Plate
W707339-S430 Bolt - Flywheel
W701350-S309 Dowel Pins
WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7563 D4
Old 01-12-2005, 12:28 PM   #8
dgualtie

thank you guys for all the help i went in with the TSB but they just brushed it off. When i go back in i am going to sit down with the people there and go over the TSB and see what they have to say then.
SVT squad #7
Old 01-12-2005, 12:33 PM   #9
SVT4ME

Sounds like a crappy-ass dealer to me, but I know the routine - my local SVT dealer swears up and down that my car doesn't need the reflash because it already has the latest one (even though to the best of my knowledge it does NOT, unless someone did that without asking me). It did take two visits to the dealer to get them to replace the clutch and everything else, I suspect when they realized I wasn't going to give up easily they decided perhaps it was a good idea to simply follow what the TSB said to do in the first place.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:41 PM   #10
jaykirs
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13947
What I Drive: 2004 Infra-Red ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 jaykirs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That just SUX when a dealer gives you grief over a KNOWN problem and don't want to do anything to fix it. I have been dealing with Russell and Smith Ford here in Houston and they at least act like they want to help me when I have concerns although they don't always fix the problem, and the last time I went in for service I also asked for the free 5000 mile oil change and they didn't do it so now I have to take it back, AGAIN!! I know how you guys feel.
04 SVTF #204 of 1978
SVT Squad #66

Understeer scares the driver, oversteer scares the passenger.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.