Purchase advice - 2009 SE for $5900? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
Torchiest
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101132
What I Drive: 2009 Silver SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Torchiest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Purchase advice - 2009 SE for $5900?

Need a little guidance if possible. I had a 2005 Ford Focus SE for a couple years which was unfortunately totaled this month. I am looking to get a slightly newer replacement. I got a $5600 settlement and am looking to stay close to that range.

The one I'm looking at right now looks pretty good. Clean title, no obvious damage or issues, good price. The only thing I'm possibly concerned about are the miles: 142,000. My biggest issue is engine/transmission life. Would I need to worry about getting a new transmission any time soon? Or are there any other big ticket maintenance items I'd need to think about in the new future? Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 17,859, Level 85
Points: 17,859, Level: 85 Points: 17,859, Level: 85 Points: 17,859, Level: 85
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Honestly, I'd take the money and use it as down payment for something with less miles. Or if you can find something with less miles for less, even better.

It's not that the miles are a hindrance. It's that the odds of something being neglected are greater with more miles, maintenance items. The engine/transmission will last quite a while if taken care of. Following recommended scheduled is a plus; sometimes overkill but generally no downfall to it.

I guess I'd say try and find out more about the car before taking a plunge. Records and such. Just talk to the owner and see if you feel you can trust them. If they seem on the level, I guess I'd have no problem buying a high mile car.
Might be a good idea to have a trusted mechanic to look the car over also.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Torchiest
Focus Rookie

Thanks. It was a small dealership selling it. I took my brother, who helps me with car repairs and such, and knows his way around cars inside and out, and he gave it a thorough inspection. Said based on the condition, it was definitely well-maintained by first owner. In fact he said it was in better condition than my old '05 model. The only issues it had are brakes that will need replacing fairly soon and somewhat worn motor mounts. So I went ahead and bought it.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 17,859, Level 85
Points: 17,859, Level: 85 Points: 17,859, Level: 85 Points: 17,859, Level: 85
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Well congrats then.
Odds are it was some type of commuter car I bet.

While you're at the brakes, look at the suspension bushings. Many people neglect them and they are a major component of tire ware and wonky handling. They ware for a long time but almost all of the tire ware issues can be attributed back to them.
Most don't replace them because it's a PITA. Basically you buy new components with bushings vs new bushings. Cost more for parts but cuts labor costs.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Torchiest
Focus Rookie

Yeah my brother said the suspension looked really good. I'm sure we'll take a closer look when we replace the brake pads. Pretty sure the rotors need to be resurfaced a bit too. And we speculated it was someone in sales who drove all day, because they racked up 100k miles in three years. I'm pretty pleased overall though! :)
Old 12-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

Points 3,814, Level 39
Points: 3,814, Level: 39 Points: 3,814, Level: 39 Points: 3,814, Level: 39
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
What was your out the door price. There is two 08 coupes here for 5995 with very similar miles I think one is 140, the other is 142. I don't think the price was bad.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
Torchiest
Focus Rookie

The sticker price was $6521. They had an online cash only price of $5400. After taxes fees etc I paid $5927 total. So I think I got a pretty great deal altogether. The only negatives were the mileage and that it was a smoker's car. Other than that, seems great. The exterior is close to pristine, with only three minor blemishes.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

Points 3,814, Level 39
Points: 3,814, Level: 39 Points: 3,814, Level: 39 Points: 3,814, Level: 39
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You're lucky there, I believe someone young and dumb owned my car before. A few repairs had to go in due to miss-wired speakers, over spray on the hood from doing the grill, head lights were more then likely pulled by the scratch marks I see on the bumper. They also completely filled the sub-box with polyfill.

Bookmarks & Social Networks