New guy! some questions :) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
slh980
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 126658
What I Drive: 2005 Blue ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 slh980 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New guy! some questions :)

Hey everyone! First post here, new to FF.

I got a few questions!

I have an '05 ZXW and I live on the top of a mountain in CO (Evergreen/Conifer for any rocky mountain people)

I love my wagon, it's great to me, except when there's snow... She doesn't like it, she prefers warm weather. None the less, I got a lot of romping in the snow to do and I can't keep taking my xterra everywhere because it gets about 3 gallons to the mile when it goes in 4x4.

SO - my real question, because I've looked forever but can't see anything about it.. Anyone ever done an AWD conversion to a foci? FWD is cool and all but when your rears swaying all over the road it doesn't help much....

Now, I haven't looked underneath this thing in a while so I don't remember what it's like down there. But I know what I gotta do to make this Bi*ch AWD.

AWD tranny, awd rear subframe with new differential and axle, and new driveshaft. But IDK how this will work on the wagon.. Do the parts even exist?

I refuse to get a subby like everyone else here, I have faith I can make this ZXW make all these subarus cry.

any help is appreciated guys :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
100% not worth your time or thought.
Just buy an AWD car if that's what you think you need.

Otherwise good Winter tires, and you can run studded tires in CO and patience is what you'll have to deal with.
(might want to look into Green Diamond tires being they're local to you)
Old 12-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I don't think studded tires are a viable option. I don't know about winter in conifer, but down in denver, the roads are dry way more than they are snow covered. the studs would be gone before the second snowfall.

As for the AWD conversion... there is no realistic option for the focus in any body style, let alone the wagon. Everything is custom, as far as I have heard. Probably cheaper and defiantly easier to buy a new car. You can probably buy a new audi for less than the conversion will cost you.

If you don't want a Subaru, there are a lot of AWD choices out there. The focus just is not one of them.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
slh980
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
100% not worth your time or thought.
Just buy an AWD car if that's what you think you need.

Otherwise good Winter tires, and you can run studded tires in CO and patience is what you'll have to deal with.
(might want to look into Green Diamond tires being they're local to you)
This is what everyone says, and this makes me sad.... I don't want a subaru cause they look like weird insects (bug lights on wrx's make me cringe), audi's and bmw x's are too expensive, and if i wanted an awd suv i'd just hop in my xterra because lifted 4x4.

Ahhhh yes, the fantastic studded tires.... I've used them forever, and like I said, they're great with my xterra but I don't own a refinery and cannot afford that kinda gas... I live 40 miles from denver where I work and drive 100-120 miles a day... I can't do the xterra... AGHHHH IDK WHAT TO DO

I really don't wanna fork out the money for an audi... oh well, I guess I'll trade in the focus for an s4 because who needs money.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 22 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
You would easily put more into an AWD conversion than the wagon is worth, both in time and cost. If snow tires arent cutting it alone, it may be time to look at a different car. I dont think anyone has undertaken a full on AWD swap either, so everything would be custom for the application
Old 12-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
iminhell
C2H5OH

Can you weld?
How close is the nearest well stocked salvage yard?
Old 12-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
slh980
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Can you weld?
How close is the nearest well stocked salvage yard?
This is more of the response I was looking for because I'm not actually trading in my focus for an s4. If I could afford an s4 I wouldn't have a focus.

BUT to answer your question, yes of course I can weld, I shouldn't be playing with my car like this if I couldn't lol.

As far as the salvage yards, there's shitloads everywhere in CO.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
iminhell
C2H5OH

Then I don't see the problem.

If you can weld you can pretty much make anything work. Albeit it might not work well. So you'll have to put some thought into what parts you pick and use.

IMO, the hardest part will be finding a transmission that will mate to the engine and JY transfercase.
Might have to get a custom made adapter plate. I wouldn't use anything from a Ford product, like an Escape. Subi, Audi and Mitsu just have a better car AWD system. But the electrical part could be a challenge. but if you'd go with an old Audi system you wouldn't have to worry about the electronics.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
slh980
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Then I don't see the problem.

If you can weld you can pretty much make anything work. Albeit it might not work well. So you'll have to put some thought into what parts you pick and use.

IMO, the hardest part will be finding a transmission that will mate to the engine and JY transfercase.
Might have to get a custom made adapter plate. I wouldn't use anything from a Ford product, like an Escape. Subi, Audi and Mitsu just have a better car AWD system. But the electrical part could be a challenge. but if you'd go with an old Audi system you wouldn't have to worry about the electronics.
Hahahahaha ^ this. This made me smile considering I've been thinking the exact same thing myself and just wanted to hear anothers opinion before I go hunting. But as far as swapping old Audi parts, that's what I was thinking, probably from an old quattro

Well looks like me and the guzzler are gonna go romp to some graves! Thanks for the moral boost/support iminhell
Old 12-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
5.0Droptop
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 125849
What I Drive: 1991 Triple Black Mustang GT Vert

FF Reputation: 1 5.0Droptop Good Standing Member
The easy solution. Park the wagon down the mountian. Leave it there. Drive 4x4 down to wagon. Drive wagon to work. Drive wagon back. Get in 4x4 go up hill.

Sent via Siri using Tapatalk

Bookmarks & Social Networks