anyone steathy performance mods suggestions? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-04-2013, 02:04 AM   #1
neo_zhai
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 126386
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus 2.0L 5 Speed Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 neo_zhai Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
anyone steathy performance mods suggestions?

Hi all, I am new in here.

I think I should ask here instead of at General Car Chat.

I have 2012 2.0L GDI focus and want it to be a little different from others'.

I had put a K&N 57i air intake and MagnaFlow cat-back exhaust, K-sports street coil over, plus SCT tune. I am looking for some more of stealthy performance mods. (Not wealthy at all)

Oh, my focus is non US-made ver.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Neo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2013, 03:08 AM   #2
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

FF Reputation: 8 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
It seems like you have all of the points covered. You may consider upgrading your motor mounts, but otherwise you are probably looking at some serious work to see any further gains.

"Ford Focus ST - the official car of message-board circle-jerks"
-Regular Car Reviews
Old 12-04-2013, 03:20 AM   #3
neo_zhai
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperThreat View Post
It seems like you have all of the points covered. You may consider upgrading your motor mounts, but otherwise you are probably looking at some serious work to see any further gains.
Thanks,Upgrading engine mounts is a great idea, will looking for some parts soon. Cobb seems to be a good choice, just another amature question: there are only one at both front and rear right?
Old 12-04-2013, 06:07 AM   #4
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
The Engine has three motor mounts. One at each end up top. And the rear (bottom) motor mount.

The one to go for first is the bottom rear motor mount. As it makes the most difference in shifting a manual tranny. Better shifting.
The best compromise seems to be the E (electric Focus) RMM (rear motor mount.)
It IS the replacement part being used on a recall for the ST in the USA. So it is pretty good.
US Part #: CM5Z-6068-A

Then you also want to get the bolt (which is included as a replacement in the ST RMM kit)
Bolt: W716238-S442 (in the USA this prt comes in a bag of four. Of which you can use two of them The bolt is cheap, so just buy the bag of four.

I have no idea what the part numbers are in China.
The E RMM is from the USA Electric Focus. And as I wrote is the replacement part for the early ST. Later ST have it as standard.

If you cannot order it in China, There is also a stiffer insert available for the stock RMM.
The main aftermarket ones are very stiff, And some people after they install them do not like how they cause a lot of vibration from the engine after being installed.
The E-RMM has only a little extra vibration from the engine to the passenger cabin.

I bought the E-RMM for $47 (list $67 US $$) but have not yet installed it on my car. Though i am pretty sure I can do it myself.

Last edited by Elizabeth; 12-04-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
neo_zhai
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
The Engine has three motor mounts. One at each end up top. And the rear (bottom) motor mount.

The one to go for first is the bottom rear motor mount. As it makes the most difference in shifting a manual tranny. Better shifting.
The best compromise seems to be the E (electric Focus) RMM (rear motor mount.)
It IS the replacement part being used on a recall for the ST in the USA. So it is pretty good.
US Part #: CM5Z-6068-A

Then you also want to get the bolt (which is included as a replacement in the ST RMM kit)
Bolt: W716238-S442 (in the USA this prt comes in a bag of four. Of which you can use two of them The bolt is cheap, so just buy the bag of four.

I have no idea what the part numbers are in China.
The E RMM is from the USA Electric Focus. And as I wrote is the replacement part for the early ST. Later ST have it as standard.

If you cannot order it in China, There is also a stiffer insert available for the stock RMM.
The main aftermarket ones are very stiff, And some people after they install them do not like how they cause a lot of vibration from the engine after being installed.
The E-RMM has only a little extra vibration from the engine to the passenger cabin.

I bought the E-RMM for $47 (list $67 US $$) but have not yet installed it on my car. Though i am pretty sure I can do it myself.

Thank you for your info, I really appreciate it. Before I am doing anything near the engine, I need to double check that confirm the Chinese-made and US-made version are completely identical. To those whom may interest, half of a Focus is made in China, even I am pretty sure the engine, tranny, chassis, ECU and some major parts aren't.

I am sure all Ford dealers in China are not allowed order parts that isn't originally from your car. I tried really hard asking them for a spare ST brake disc and cal set, they denied again and again. Because electrical version Focus does not come to China, I doubt I could find that RMM too.

If Cobb motor mount isn't good for canceling engine bay vibration, how are there so many people replacing stock with it?

Are there any recommended online parts-shops(stock or good aftermarket)?

I saw Fswerk isn't a bad place.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
ShoOff
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109590
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 16 ShoOff Great Standing Member
I have a write up on the COBB rmm
Old 12-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
The aftermarket RMM is more for racing. So those people want the highest performance possible, and can tolerate the vibration.. as they mostly use the car for racing.
For the street and typical driving, the E-RMM (or STreplacement/new one) is far better.
Reading up on the E-RMM it only adds a slight vibration, which some say goes away after a little use.
But the E-RMM is a LOT better for making shifting better.

As for 'does it fit" Which engine do you have?
The Euro cars have different engines than the North American model. So you may have one which is different too.

You should be able to install it yourself. And if you buy the yellow stiffer insert for th stock part. No one will be able to see it is different unless they take it apart, AND know what to look for.
Once it is in there.. NO ONE can see it is any different unless they went looking for it special.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
neo_zhai
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoOff View Post
I have a write up on the COBB rmm
Read your write up once, impressive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
neo_zhai
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
The aftermarket RMM is more for racing. So those people want the highest performance possible, and can tolerate the vibration.. as they mostly use the car for racing.
For the street and typical driving, the E-RMM (or STreplacement/new one) is far better.
Reading up on the E-RMM it only adds a slight vibration, which some say goes away after a little use.
But the E-RMM is a LOT better for making shifting better.

As for 'does it fit" Which engine do you have?
The Euro cars have different engines than the North American model. So you may have one which is different too.

You should be able to install it yourself. And if you buy the yellow stiffer insert for th stock part. No one will be able to see it is different unless they take it apart, AND know what to look for.
Once it is in there.. NO ONE can see it is any different unless they went looking for it special.
I am not going to mod my car into a race car, so I might pass the Cobb then?

I've read the write up from ShoOff, looks pretty easy to install.

Looks like the ERMM is my choice for street use, my engine somehow has a little more power than US made I suppose, 125kw and 202Nm at stock if I remember it right. The motor is the same as US ver.

Any chance you could point me direction finding a E RMM ?

Appreciated,

Neo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
NickCornell
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97233
What I Drive: 2012 Race red Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 12 NickCornell Great Standing Member
have any pics of coilovers installed?

Bookmarks & Social Networks