Maintenance time - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
Kal-EL428
Focus Addict

Fan#: 47337
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 33 Kal-EL428 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Maintenance time

I have made the decision to spend some money and repair/replace components on my 02 SVT that has 113,XXX miles and keep her going rather than buying a new car like I have been planning on.

I would like to overhaul the entire suspension and front/rear end as it has all original parts. I would love to make it feel like a new(er) car again.

Here is what I am thinking,
-Shocks/Struts and springs (is there still a FRPP suspension kit available?)
-Strut mounts and bearings
-Ball joints
-End links

Anything else I should look to replace?
Any recommendations on parts or brands?
Its still my DD, so I donít need 2 fast 2 furious parts, just want to make the car tight again.

#2064 of 4788
Born on: 5-14-02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

Points 1,267, Level 19
Points: 1,267, Level: 19 Points: 1,267, Level: 19 Points: 1,267, Level: 19
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
did you ever have the front springs replaced under the recall program? If not, then it makes sense to include them now - in which case you can make life much simpler for yourself if you buy a complete assembled strut. Monroe's "QuickStrut" retains your OEM ride.

Old Focus + northern winter road salt = cemented suspension hardware. So, expect some frustration in removing the old strut towers from the steering knuckle; for some reason, some folks on the forum (incl. me) found that one strut was a b*tch and the other was a cakewalk. You might want to soak not only the pinch bolt but also the strut/knuckle interface in penetrating oil a few days beforehand.

Assuming that you're also looking at the rear, you might want to spend some time searching the forum for tricks that folks have used to remove a seized rear LCA cam bolt. I discuss some of the rear hardware purchase here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297299
Old 12-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
ShadowFocus603
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118448
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black SVT EAP 2Dr #1878

Points 546, Level 10
Points: 546, Level: 10 Points: 546, Level: 10 Points: 546, Level: 10
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 ShadowFocus603 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I just bought these http://www.massivespeedsystem.com/fo...i-1829763.aspx coupled with these http://www.massivespeedsystem.com/fo.../i-389403.aspx and had them preassembled by massive for an extra 25 bucks. I haven't installed them yet but plan to soon. Just colder than all hell up here right now lol. If massive still has the sale going on, using the code HOTDAMP nets you over 50% off the total cost of the system (i think its 50 might be a little less). I also got these to install when I do the rest of the suspension.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Front sway bar bushings
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Front sway bar end links
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Rear sway bar bushings and end links
I found these after I ordered the Moog end links and might use them instead and sell the Moog ones. http://www.massivespeedsystem.com/_m...s/g-66745.aspx These are adjustable so you can set them for 0 preload on the sway bars after you lower the car etc.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
Kal-EL428
Focus Addict

Fan#: 47337
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 33 Kal-EL428 Great Standing Member
Thanks for the input guys.

So, other than what I listed in my first post, is there anything else I should look at?
I want to start ordering parts
#2064 of 4788
Born on: 5-14-02
Old 12-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

Points 1,267, Level 19
Points: 1,267, Level: 19 Points: 1,267, Level: 19 Points: 1,267, Level: 19
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
the sky's the limit; just depends on how big of a preventative maintenance hole you want to dig.

Front: the ball joints are riveted to the control arm; use the search box to read about the success/horror stories of drilling them out. Bottom line: if your heart is set on new bj's, then you might consider replacing the entire control arm. And then, with the steering knuckle disconnected from the strut & bj on a car with >100K miles, personally I'd replace the wheel bearings (cv joints might be overkill).

Rear: see my link in my previous post. Based on what I've seen on the forum over the years, those seem to be the usual suspects. Folks don't seem to bother much with the other two parts (control blade and dogbone arm).

Bookmarks & Social Networks