SVT owners: what brand of tire, and do you like it? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-06-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question SVT owners: what brand of tire, and do you like it?

Okay, so it's getting closer and closer to the time that my front tires are going to be worn out. On the front, OEM Conti's. On the rear, Goodyear Eagle F1's. I know that I DON'T want another set of Goodyears, so we're tossing that choice right now. I had too many annoying problems with them when they were on the front of the car, and I don't want to take the $400 chance that maybe if all four tires are F1's the problems would go away. The Conti's, are okay but I know there has to be something better at this point.

So, I'm looking at other brands and styles and wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a good high-performance summer tire for the SVT, that you have had a GOOD experience with. If you've had a BAD experience with a certain tire, what was bad about it? I want to go into this tire-buying thing with some ideas this time.

What I'm looking for: no unacceptable noise levels, no wishy-washy squishyness, no problems with alignment or "tire drift" as the dealer called it (the Goodyears made my Focus pull to the right). Tread life less important, I've only driven 12,000 miles in the last two years. I don't care about poor-weather ability of the tire because I don't drive the car in poor weather, and this is California, we hardly have any poor weather anyway.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2005, 07:43 PM   #2
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing MemberWD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
FWIW:
Once the Contis wear out, most likely, my next set of "general purpose" summer tires
(sans the AutoCrossing) will be the new Fuzions (made by Bridgestone) from Tire Rack.

No, I don't have personal experience with them, but the reviews are phenomenal,
and there's a couple people on SVTOA running them with good results.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:02 PM   #3
SVT4ME

I'm sorry, you broke my rules... your answer doesn't count.

Actually I like the idea of the Fuzion because it's not a Continental, it's not a Goodyear, and it has a tread style similar to the Eagles that are on the back of the car, so the tires would "match" a little better than they do now. BUT I'm starting to wonder if that "V" tread style is what caused the car to have the drift and inability to track straight.

The other tire I have heard good things about is the Falken Azenis, but again, a weird tread design and I'm weary of being the guinea pig when it costs as much as it does to replace tires.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:10 PM   #4
shadyninja
Banned

Fan#: 11464
What I Drive: fast

FF Reputation: 1 shadyninja Good Standing Member
Kumho's family of ECSTA (x ta) performance tires is designed to enhance every vehicle's capabilities. The ECSTA MX member of the family elevates Kumho right into our Max Performance tire category which is reserved for the technologically advanced tires that combine highly developed materials with state-of-the-art design and advanced manufacturing methods to provide superior performance.

Designed to deliver Kumho's ultimate level of "dry" road performance while maintaining good wet traction, the ECSTA MX molds an advanced silica tread rubber compound into a directional tread pattern that features massive, stable blocks to increase cornering traction and steering response, while four large circumferential and multiple directionally-aligned lateral grooves resist hydroplaning and enhance wet traction. Internally, the two, wide steel belts are reinforced by spirally-wound nylon cap plies to provide excellent strength, uniform ride quality, and Y-speed rated (186 mph) capability while the sidewalls are tuned to resist lateral deflection to provide handling control and feedback.

Kumho ECSTA MX tires feature black letter styling and are available in 50-, 45-, 40 and 35-series; Y-speed rated sizes for 17" to 20" wheel diameters. Look at ECSTA MX tires if you are looking for dry road Max Performance.

Old 01-06-2005, 08:22 PM   #5
SVT4ME

Hmm... okay, more food for thought. Thank you and keep them coming. Anyone use or know someone who uses Bridgestone Pole Positions? They seem to get good reviews for performance but everybody complains about them being almost $200 per tire.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:44 PM   #6
shadyninja
Banned

The P Zero Corsa is Pirelli's DOT-legal Competition tire primarily developed for use on high performance cars at drivers' schools and lapping days conducted on race tracks. The P Zero Corsa incorporates Pirelli's racing experience to enhance driving satisfaction at the limits of performance.

On the outside, The P Zero Corsa uses a high hysteresis tread compound that transfers the vehicle's horsepower to a dry track by developing inspiring grip at high tread temperatures. This tread compound is molded into a unique asymmetric and directional tread pattern that features a sturdy outer shoulder to provide lateral stability and cornering grip, while grooves in the tire's central and inner tread areas enhance wet track handling and braking. The P Zero Corsa's asymmetric and directional tread design requires separate "left" and "right" side tires for the vehicle as branded on each tire's sidewall. On the inside, the P Zero Corsa features highly flexible steel belts reinforced by spirally wound nylon to enhance steering precision and provide high-speed capability while reducing weight.

The P Zero Corsa is molded with 6/32" of tread depth in its grooves and is available unshaved for use on damp tracks or shaved to between 3/32" to 4/32" of tread depth for use on dry tracks.

Caution: The P Zero Corsa is not recommended for driving on extremely wet roads where there is the risk of hydroplaning. This is especially true of shaved or worn tires. Drivers should drive cautiously at reduced speeds in these conditions.

Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires feature black letter styling and are available in selected 50-, 45-, 40-, 35- and 30-series; Y-speed rated sizes for 17" and 18" wheel diameters.

Note: Unlike other Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires, the 215/45R17 87Y size features a unique tread compound molded into an 8/32 deep directional tread design. It is assigned a UTQG rating of 140 AA A.

roadracing tires!!!!!
Old 01-06-2005, 08:45 PM   #7
shadyninja
Banned

I dont have that tire but was thinking of try ing it out on the track
Old 01-06-2005, 08:48 PM   #8
SVT4ME

Yes, nice but I have to make some concessions to reality - I would have to have a second set of rims and tires for those ^^ because they are essentially track tires.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:58 PM   #9
shadyninja
Banned

but I do have the kumhos ,, they are awesome every where except at the dragstrip..the nitrousmakes them spin
Old 01-07-2005, 09:13 AM   #10
nthcoastcom
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7017
What I Drive: 96 Cobra,07 GT, 08 Vista Blue Focus

FF Reputation: 9 nthcoastcom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
Yokohama Avid H4S. Awsome tire, quite smooth ride. Rated 2nd best tire for wet(rain) weather driving. Fairly inexpensive as well. I like this tire i have a set on one of my cars.

I also like the Kumho Ecsta 711 or 712 both good prices. I have a set on my t-bird. They are a good quite smooth overall tire, but they suck in the rain and like another said they suck at the strip. I cant get them too hook up....(so i go a pair of Nitto's)

My girlfriend has Hankook Ventus HR2 on her car. Another tire i would recommend, quite smooth and a sweet tread design. It's a high performance tire, i know you dont care about the weather driving of you tires, but these work very well in the rain and so far the snow. Check out there webstie www.hankooktireusa.com.

Either tire i would recommend to ya! Also you can probaly get a set of the Yoko's or Hankook for around $400/set and the Kuhmo's for about $360/set!

Todd
www.nthcoast.com

Bookmarks & Social Networks