Brake Line Size - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #11
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
... and?
And that the law states compression fittings are illegal. DOT, FMVSS, SAE and various foreign bodies are all on the same page for brake fittings and lines.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...px?reg=571.106

Even for air brakes you can't use compression fittings.
The link only talks to flexable brake hose, no mention of hard lines. As far as regulations that is not the same as to whether it is technically sound or not. I used to do safety inspections in Mass and the only requirement was that the lines were not damaged or corroded. You can also get appropriate compression fittings at any auto parts store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
The "pull test" is what most compression fittings will fail and why they are illegal.

This burst pressure you speak of is simply the pressure at which the fitting breaks. It's by no means the pressure at which the line comes flying out.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have been an engineer for 37 years. 12 of those years was working for a company that made high pressure (up to 10,000 psi) measuring equipment, every hard line connection was made up with compression fittings and they were 100% proof tested to 1 1/2 times the working pressure before leaving the factory. I can tell you absolutely that the line will fail before it will pull out of the fitting.

If you have seen a line pull out of a compression fitting its either; a) the wrong fitting for the application, or b) the fitting wasn't assemblied per the manufactuers instructions.

I would say the vast majority of stories relating to the failure of compression fittings is from using hardware store fittings that are design for soft tubing. These in the 3/16 tubing size are rated for around 500 psi and are easily identified by the barrel shaped ferrule. Most high pressure compression fittings use a two piece ferrule.

If you find your self needing to use a compression fitting on your brake lines and you are offered a brass fitting that costs $3-$4 its likely not the correct fitting for the application.

Another thing to consider is it takes more skill to double flare a tube than to make up a compression fitting properly. I have seen flares that so called mechanics have done that have an uneven flare or cracks in the flare and they didn't even recognize they were defective.

Bookmarks & Social Networks