03 SVTF with 26k miles $8.4k - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #21
jeffkyle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89863
What I Drive: 03 SVT, 02 ZX3, 01 SE

Points 394, Level 7
Points: 394, Level: 7 Points: 394, Level: 7 Points: 394, Level: 7
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 jeffkyle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I am confused why a timing belt would be needed with 26K miles. I have changed two belts at 120K and they had no wear, dry rot etc. I agree that peace of mind is key especially with the SVT but doubt you need to do it. Nice low mileage SVTs are getting hard to find. You will find lot of cars in marginal condition with modifications and high mileage for 5-6 grand. I have seen them and passed on many. Find a nice low mileage car, unmolested, and pay what you feel the car is worth, higher dollar than most and enjoy it. The best examples on this forum fetch 7-8000 all day.
#52 of 3985
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #22
nvmaddog
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68677
What I Drive: 2002 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 nvmaddog Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkyle View Post
I am confused why a timing belt would be needed with 26K miles. I have changed two belts at 120K and they had no wear, dry rot etc. I agree that peace of mind is key especially with the SVT but doubt you need to do it. Nice low mileage SVTs are getting hard to find. You will find lot of cars in marginal condition with modifications and high mileage for 5-6 grand. I have seen them and passed on many. Find a nice low mileage car, unmolested, and pay what you feel the car is worth, higher dollar than most and enjoy it. The best examples on this forum fetch 7-8000 all day.
Even if it is not dry rotted, I am not taking the chance on a 10 year old belt on a car with 26k on the clock. For $600 it is worth every penny as insurance.

I do not remember the last time any SVT sold for $8000, unless someone just straight up overpaid. There are just too many of them to be had and they pop up for sale all the time.
2002 Red 3 Door SVTF #2458
Old 11-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #23
nvmaddog
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEROZ View Post
I wish I would have seen your post sooner... I went to the dealer and I got it, I said it I don't want to have them do the timing belt for 100$ more expensive than it would take to do it myself. I'm going to brace the cold and do it myself within the month.

Feels bad man :(
As long as you're happy, that's all that matters. Get a Ford tech to do the belt for you, please trust me the extra money is well worth it.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #24
Budderybunz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107821
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 Budderybunz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
I wish I would have seen your post sooner... I went to the dealer and I got it, I said it I don't want to have them do the timing belt for 100$ more expensive than it would take to do it myself. I'm going to brace the cold and do it myself within the month.

Feels bad man :(
Please don't try to do the belt yourself if your not mechanically inclined. There's a reason it costs so much to have a professional do it.

Congrats on your purchase.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #25
VEROZ
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 124945
What I Drive: 03 SVTF, bone stock

FF Reputation: 1 VEROZ Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budderybunz View Post
Please don't try to do the belt yourself if your not mechanically inclined. There's a reason it costs so much to have a professional do it.

Congrats on your purchase.
I am reasonably mechanically inclined, Ive changed the rear main seal, valve cover gasket, pads/ rotors, kick down cable, radiator, thermostat, plugs, wires, dist, fuel/ air filters. I've got jacks, stands, decent set of tools and a torque wrench to get everything into spec :) all this was done on the 96 jeep I currently drive for work reasons.

The only thing I am missing is a garage for working on my cars in the winter D:

I am reasonably confident I could do it myself if I needed to but I think I will go back and have them do it for 375, since its a pretty good price and I really do want the peace of mind of having it done.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #26
VEROZ
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmaddog View Post
As long as you're happy, that's all that matters. Get a Ford tech to do the belt for you, please trust me the extra money is well worth it.
Thank you maddog for your help, I am happy with the purchase, and I think I will get the dealer to do it, since they will go half and half with me on it at 375. If I had a garage to do it in I would love to tear into it myself and get to know the car better.

I can't stress enough how thankful I am with your help, really. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #27
nvmaddog
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Ive changed the rear main seal, valve cover gasket, pads/ rotors, kick down cable, radiator, thermostat, plugs, wires, dist, fuel/ air filters.
Speaking with experience and coming from someone who takes things apart and puts them back together on a daily basis it was even a nightmare for me. The above list is pale in comparison.

No exaggeration, one of the most difficult things I've ever done on a car and I've done a lot.

Just know you've been warned, and it's worth every bit of what they are asking.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #28
nvmaddog
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Thank you maddog for your help, I am happy with the purchase, and I think I will get the dealer to do it, since they will go half and half with me on it at 375. If I had a garage to do it in I would love to tear into it myself and get to know the car better.

I can't stress enough how thankful I am with your help, really. Thanks.
No worries partner, have a good time with it.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #29
mainest
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60163
What I Drive: '04 Red Euro SVT

Points 1,840, Level 25
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 8 mainest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmaddog View Post
As long as you're happy, that's all that matters...
Congrats! to SVT ownership. They (SVTs) are a vanishing breed, take good care of her. It will definitely be worth the cost.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #30
VEROZ
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thanks for the warm welcome! and to everyone who helped and gave input while deciding to buy the car. I'm confident this SVTF is gonna treat me right, cause its my first car and it is gonna live the good life :)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.