03 SVTF with 26k miles $8.4k - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
nvmaddog
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68677
What I Drive: 2002 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 nvmaddog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEROZ View Post
Unfortunately I am a shitty haggler, if I tried they'd marking it up lol, they are a next price first dealer, they don't negotiate price, but they probably will negotiate parts.

If they don't want to change the timing belt for me I will walk and wait for them to lower the price again, they are probably making a killing off this deal as it is and it can't cost them more than 300 with parts and labor.

Thank guys for giving me the reason and confidence to ask them to do it, I probably would have bought it anyways without your input.
No worries man, and yes they will be making a killing off of this deal. They are looking for collector's dollars for a car that has not reached collector status. They will be extremely hard pressed to sell that car for $8500 especially seeing as how the timing assembly has not been changed.

Patience will be key for this one.
2002 Red 3 Door SVTF #2458
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
VEROZ
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 124945
What I Drive: 03 SVTF, bone stock

FF Reputation: 1 VEROZ Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmaddog View Post
No worries man, and yes they will be making a killing off of this deal. They are looking for collector's dollars for a car that has not reached collector status. They will be extremely hard pressed to sell that car for $8500 especially seeing as how the timing assembly has not been changed.

Patience will be key for this one.
Definitely, I am in no rush at all to get a car, I've already got one, but need something I like to drive. I got my jeep when my dad tossed me the keys last year, it's been good, but not my cup of tea :)

I just got a call that the loan and such was approved, I'm going to be going in on my lunch break to talk about some "details" as I'm .5 miles from the dealer at work.

How would I get them do to it? I know ask, don't be a jerk, and such. But I've always heard "get it in writing " but I'm not sure what that looks like? Added to some paperwork with the sales guys initials?

Or should I wait and take possession after they are done putting it on ?

What should or shouldn't I sign before it's done to make sure that they are not just saying that they will do it and then pull a fast one?
Old 11-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
nvmaddog
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Definitely, I am in no rush at all to get a car, I've already got one, but need something I like to drive. I got my jeep when my dad tossed me the keys last year, it's been good, but not my cup of tea :)

I just got a call that the loan and such was approved, I'm going to be going in on my lunch break to talk about some "details" as I'm .5 miles from the dealer at work.

How would I get them do to it? I know ask, don't be a jerk, and such. But I've always heard "get it in writing " but I'm not sure what that looks like? Added to some paperwork with the sales guys initials?

Or should I wait and take possession after they are done putting it on ?

What should or shouldn't I sign before it's done to make sure that they are not just saying that they will do it and then pull a fast one?
Not to be condescending, but do you have anyone that can go with you who has a little experience in car dealing? If so, it may be to your best benefit. Car dealers love, and I mean love taking advantage of people who don't know what to look out for.

Timing assembly needs to be done before you take delivery of the vehicle or you will have a hard time getting it done. That is a major stipulation of purchasing this vehicle because the cost of parts and labor at the dealer for this job is going to be over $600.

And yes, as long as they put it in some sort of writing that they are doing it and the bottom line after taxes and fees computes correctly then you should be set. I would scrutinize over the numbers very carefully once you agree to a price.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
VEROZ
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Not to be condescending, but do you have anyone that can go with you who has a little experience in car dealing? If so, it may be to your best benefit. Car dealers love, and I mean love taking advantage of people who don't know what to look out for.

Timing assembly needs to be done before you take delivery of the vehicle or you will have a hard time getting it done. That is a major stipulation of purchasing this vehicle because the cost of parts and labor at the dealer for this job is going to be over $600.

And yes, as long as they put it in some sort of writing that they are doing it and the bottom line after taxes and fees computes correctly then you should be set. I would scrutinize over the numbers very carefully once you agree to a price.
No not at all, I'm 21 and have never bought a car before, I have that same point of view, my dad will be coming with me today too, because we work together. I won't sign anything while I'm on my break because I will be in a rush, I'm going to stop back again after work to really look over the numbers and stuff.

When I stop back in after work I'll ask for the timing belt to be replaced and if they don't want to I will walk, and wait to have them call me. Or wait to have them lower the price again. I'm probably going to not sign anything regarding to the loan until they get the belt done.

I also don't plan to buy a warranty with it, especially when they do the timing belt. I've done some wrenching in that past and am confident that I can take care of the cars problems when they come up.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #15
nvmaddog
Focus Enthusiast

Good idea.

Post back if you run into issues, I'll check here later this evening.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #16
VEROZ
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Good idea.

Thank you maddog, you've been incredibly helpful! I'll post all the details about what happens tonight.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #17
VEROZ
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Good idea.

Welp I went in on my lunch, the loan went through at a 4% apr with 2k down.
I asked about the timing belt and they said they wouldn't do it, then I mentioned the coon rapids car, and walking, they said they would split it with me at 375, 750 is what they usually charge. Also an oil change coupon, and an extra quart of gas lol.

I told them I would think about it and stop back in after work. What do you guys think?
Old 11-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #18
VEROZ
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Oh yeah and they offered me a 5yr 48k mile warranty for about $2k
Old 11-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #19
nvmaddog
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Welp I went in on my lunch, the loan went through at a 4% apr with 2k down.
I asked about the timing belt and they said they wouldn't do it, then I mentioned the coon rapids car, and walking, they said they would split it with me at 375, 750 is what they usually charge. Also an oil change coupon, and an extra quart of gas lol.

I told them I would think about it and stop back in after work. What do you guys think?
That is just plain high man. You are paying above retail for a little car that does not demand that kind of premium. If it were me, I'd wait.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #20
VEROZ
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
That is just plain high man. You are paying above retail for a little car that does not demand that kind of premium. If it were me, I'd wait.
I wish I would have seen your post sooner... I went to the dealer and I got it, I said it I don't want to have them do the timing belt for 100$ more expensive than it would take to do it myself. I'm going to brace the cold and do it myself within the month.

Feels bad man :(

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.