Please guys, i beg for help!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-25-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
04sonicbluesaleen
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 64478
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue ZX3 Saleen

FF Reputation: 1 04sonicbluesaleen Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Please guys, i beg for help!!

I'm almost @ the point of going nuts already. Ok so 2004 Ford Focus 2.3L Saleen Edition. I drove through a flooded zone, 3 days ago. It didn't look too deep, but, as I kept driving it was getting deeper,
Well the car turned off on me. I would say the water was no higher than 1 feet 6 inches. Anyways after I got pushed over to a good area, the car wouldn't start, as I tried cranking it I wouldn't start. It sounded like if I had a bad starter. So I had to use a tow truck(for the first time ever) darnnet!! Wel after 3 freakin days of sitting, I decided to try it again, but no luck whatsoever. So I crawl under the car take the starter out, took it to my nearest autozone, and they say starter is good, double checked it @ oreillys and was good too. I also noticed that quite some water got inside my engine through the intake system. So what do I do now?? I guess I could just report this to my insurance, and have them deal with it, but I would honestly love to leave that as a last resort. PLEASE AMIGOS HELP ME!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 02:52 AM   #2
Fierceintent
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117556
What I Drive: 04 infra red Svt, 03 2.3 red sedan

Points 484, Level 9
Points: 484, Level: 9 Points: 484, Level: 9 Points: 484, Level: 9
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 Fierceintent Good Standing Member
take it to a shop, you'd have to get the water out of the engine to even start it. Your engine is flooded with water. Youll need to change all the engine oil... you shouldnt of drove over the water. Air intake sucked the water into engine man. I bet there is water in spark plugs, check those.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,353, Level 98
Points: 27,353, Level: 98 Points: 27,353, Level: 98 Points: 27,353, Level: 98
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Remove spark plugs, and then see if you can crank the engine. I also suggest disconnecting the fuel cutoff switch over in the passenger side kick panel before cranking the car. That will prevent you from wasting fuel. You will also need a spray can of MAF cleaner to clean the MAF.

After all that, the engine might still be KOed. Letting it sit for 3-4 days should've drained all the water down into the oil where it wouldn't prevent combustion. I'd think it would've started. I wish I had better news for you, but it's not turning with the starter. That's a really bad sign if you're also hearing clicks like the solenoid is engaging.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,084, Level 34
Points: 3,084, Level: 34 Points: 3,084, Level: 34 Points: 3,084, Level: 34
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 60%
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
As they say.

There's a reason why others look at stalled cars in deep water on the evening news and think 'Gee' I'm glad I'm smarter than that'.

No ill intent meant at all but you need the jolt if you haven't picked up on it yet. Could easily bend rods to make engine junk there, lookup 'hydrostatic lock' or 'hydrolock' on the web to not feel any better. If the damage is done nothing we can do..............it's the shop for you here. Sorry and luck to you.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
jebiruph
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116084
What I Drive: 2004 ZX3

Points 38, Level 1
Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 jebiruph Good Standing Member
I left the air cleaner off of a caravan once and somehow rainwater got into the engine and hydrolocked it. Pulled the plugs and cranked it to pump the water out. There didn't seem to be any damage, but mine wasn't running when it filled with water. Those plugs were on the front of the engine instead of the top, so I didn't have water falling back into the engine. I would use something to deflect the water towards the front of the car as it squirted out of the engine.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,084, Level 34
Points: 3,084, Level: 34 Points: 3,084, Level: 34 Points: 3,084, Level: 34
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 60%
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
Depends on the amount of water that gets in. As long as low enough amount so that you still have some compression space for air to squeeze up into then you're probably all right. Once you get say 53cc. or more of water in a 53cc. chamber though, brother look out!

The mention of the starter lugging down but it tests OK says the motor tried to lock up and not a good sign there.

At even the slightest suspicion of water ingress in engine you should yank all plugs and whirl the motor around to displace the water in chamber. Don't even think of starting at ALL until you have done it. The starter has enough force to bend or break a rod if it binds up solid. Seen race cars do it many times when epoxy falls out of heads, usually they will blow the engine to smithereens on the very next run, hi-perf engines can twist a bent rod in two in a millisecond.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.